Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Support Groups - How is yours run???

Just curious and would greatly appreciate your input....

Our Lap Band Support Group meets once a month in the doctor's office. Some weeks it seems to get out of control, off-track, etc.

Questions:

- Are your Support Groups formal/informal?

- Are they run by a moderator?

- Does anyone from the staff attend to answer questions?

- Does your group have a newsletter?

There are probably a hundred more questions I could ask...but I am going to hand it over to you now. Any ideas or information would be AWESOME!!

Thanks In Advance (the friendly TIA)

Nancy*

:D

Hi Nancy,

My doc's office has a great support group, one which has been lap-band-only since March of 2003. The office has a nurse practitioner who cares a lot, and she attends every meeting and sets the agenda. But the agenda is very loose, since these meetings are best used for people to just share their experiences and ask questions. The NP answers medical questions and anything relating to the surgery and postop procedures, but just as valuable is the exchange of actual, personal experiences by the banded patients.

Often one of the nutritionists associated with the practice attends as well, and that's very helpful for obvious reasons. The meetings start with each person introducing him/herself, and right from that there's often fodder for discussion. And even when a formal subject for discussion has been scheduled most of the meeting is still given over to freewheeling conversation.

The NP does moderate to some extent and, I'm sure, keeps things in check just by her very presence. The most vital role she and the nutritionist play is being there to correct misinformation. Since we meet down the hall from the doctors' offices once in a while one of the surgeons will drop by, but that's not a given.

We don't have a newsletter, but the practice does have a website where meeting times and so on are announced. Overall, I think it's a great group and format and I really like it a lot.

Guest Donna S

Alex,

Thanks for the info on the support group. It sounds great. I hope to get the info and encouragement that I need to go forward with the procedure. Do I need to call to let someone know I will be attending, or do I just show up? How many people are usually there?

Donna

Questions:

- Are your Support Groups formal/informal?

Ours are very informal we dress casually it's very comfortable!

- Are they run by a moderator?

Kind of, depends the topic at hand and if there's a guest speaker or not. Usually very organized however!

- Does anyone from the staff attend to answer questions?

Yes Dr. Allen's WHOLE staff is there, and sometimes he comes....he's so busy though that usually he can't make it..his nutritionist, nurse, therapists,office staff, everyone comes!

- Does your group have a newsletter?

Yes it's called the Bariatric Buzz and we get it emailed to us usually before every support group meeting and then there are printed copies for us there if we would like one...

New people just show up all the time andit's a great tool for them to learn about the procedures...our support group is both bypass and bandsters so there is alot of info given for both types of WLS....hope this helps :D

Alex,

Thanks for the info on the support group. It sounds great. I hope to get the info and encouragement that I need to go forward with the procedure. Do I need to call to let someone know I will be attending, or do I just show up? How many people are usually there?

Donna

Hi Donna!

It's very casual, you don't need to call in advance. There's a sign-in sheet when you get there, and in my experience there's usually about a dozen people or so in attendance.

I'm looking forward to the next one, it's been too long!!

This was EXACTLY what I was looking for!!! Don't stop now...we're on a roll...just don't eat it! :D I wanted to compare notes kinda to see if all are pretty much run the same way. I'm sure there are differences due to how large the practice is and how many patients; but the basic concept is probably the same. It makes it difficult since the Lap Band physicians don't all have the same protocol; which I hope they do one day. It would make things a lot easier! Maybe some sort of consortium when things get really popular, even though it is now. I'm sure they follow most of the same idea; but there are so many differences as far as food lists, when to eat what, when to have or not have fills...but reading this board DEFINITELY helps answer ALOT of questions!!! I've checked several websites for pre & post-surgery info; but this site is THE BEST for support!!! And of course all of you are AWESOME!!! Keep up the great work!!

Nancy

Hi Nancy,

The NP answers medical questions and anything relating to the surgery and postop procedures, but just as valuable is the exchange of actual, personal experiences by the banded patients.

Often one of the nutritionists associated with the practice attends as well, and that's very helpful for obvious reasons. The meetings start with each person introducing him/herself, and right from that there's often fodder for discussion. And even when a formal subject for discussion has been scheduled most of the meeting is still given over to freewheeling conversation.

The NP does moderate to some extent and, I'm sure, keeps things in check just by her very presence. The most vital role she and the nutritionist play is being there to correct misinformation. Since we meet down the hall from the doctors' offices once in a while one of the surgeons will drop by, but that's not a given.

I haven't gone to one yet. Somehow, I feel like I shouldn't until my band actually starts working. Do any of you feel like the support group is more helpful to you than this site??? Just what goes on at the meetings anyway??

We meet once a month in the lobby of the doctor's office. Usually the secretary is there to help and get info if people want to weigh in or ask about getting started with approvals and all. DEBBIE is AWESOME!!! She is the Lap Band QUEEN!!! There were only 2-3 times when the Dietitian was there, and it was really helpful as for obvious reasons as Alex said.

Then we start at one point and go around the room introducing ourselves and give the usual stats like name, date of surgery, weight loss, and whatever you wish to tell about your weight loss history or why you had the surgery. Pretty much up to you. In between banders, people will pop up with questions and either they can answer or anyone can if they have a different perspective.

It's kind of informal (meaning discussion, not dress) and if it gets too out of control, we try to get it focused again to the discussion. I am now taking minutes, recording the weight losses, and hope to do a newsletter when things at the surgeon's office are back to normal. They had a flood during the holidays and it's been a madhouse! Greg (grt138) and I are working together to get it organized and have some type of line of communication going, which helps! We're gettin there! slow but sure....just like our weight!

What are your thoughts?

Oops...forgot to answer the question..(I tend to get carried away sometimes)..it's definitely not more helpful than this site...but there are hundreds more banders here from all over the country/world which makes it even BETTER!!! If you have questions....you can always get them answered here cuz someone has most likely hone through the same thing. Just like so many of you...I AM ADDICTED!!!

Nancy

It helps ALOT!!! Sounds like most of your groups include some of the Staff, which I've always agreed we should also.....

Thanks for your input!

Our meeting is held at the hospital with someone from the office speaking. Unfortunately, there is not a seperate meeting for bandsters and since I was the first to be banded by this doctor, there are not enough bandsters to "support" a group yet. I haven't been yet, suppose to go Wed, (2nd Wed of each month).

I'm not excited because I don't like being grouped with the Gastro, rny patients and laproscopics, because I think we're a group of our own. That's why I'm so very glad I found this site and appreciate the direct as well as indirect guidance and support I've received here. Thanks everyone!

It's great to go and have a place to talk about things, but no way is it better than here...I can ask you guys my grossest goriest dumbest questions and you love me anyway and always give me some sort of an answer!!! :)

I love my lap band talk family!