Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Blood Pressure Issues

I was banded on 9/28/07. I have been on medication for hypertension since I was in my early 20's due to a combination of a hereditary condition and the extra weight. I am now 39. The hereditary condition causes me to have a rapid heartbeat, so I'm on a medication for that as well. So in total I take 3 meds. Since the surgery 2 1/2 weeks ago, my blood pressure has been right at normal...around 120/80. Then last week even though I was taking the medication for my rapid pulse, it was still going too high and racing (over 120 beats per minute). My doctor had switched me before surgery from a capsule to a tablet so it could be broken up and taken now that I'm banded. I still had some of the capsules from before left so I called Dr. Spivak's office and they said since I'm not restricted yet I can still swallow the capsule. I went back to the capsule to regulate my pulse. It worked like a charm. Then suddenly yesterday I started feeling really dizzy and nauseous...so much so that I had to go home from work. I took my blood pressure and it was only 106/69 even though I'd only taken half of my meds for the day. Today it's still really low for no apparent reason after only taking half of my meds and I'm still nauseous. If the nausea would go away I'd feel a LOT better.

I know the first thing everyone will say is call the doctor. Which I will be doing, but can't possibly get any time off work to go in for an appointment because we're too short staffed the rest of the week. In fact, I'm the only one in the office for most of today. So anyway my questions is: Has anyone else gone through this? What could be causing this?

I know I haven't been getting a lot of Protein. I'm on mushies and meat isn't allowed except fish which I don't like. I drink several bottles of Water a day. I'm eating probably between 800-1000 calories a day (I don't count). An average day's food for me is:

Breakfast: 1/2 packet of instant oatmeal or cream of wheat made with 2% milk

Lunch: 1/2 of a medium baked potato mushed up with 2 Tbsp of cheddar and 1 Tbsp of sour cream

Supper: 1/2 cup of refried Beans with 1 Tbsp of cheese or something similar

If I have a snack it's a small low fat pudding or a Danactive yogurt drink (4 oz)

I've gained and lost weight over the years and nothing as small as a 14 lb weight loss (that's what I've lost so far) has even affected my blood pressure in the slightest. So I'm puzzled by these symtoms.

Your heart rate and blood pressure might be more related to dehydration that to your medication - with the medication that you are taking making the issue worse. For example, if you have a Water hose with that is only half full, then you stretch the diameter of the water hose, it is going to be even less full that it was before. Even if you think you are getting in enough fluids, it might not be depending on the definition of "several". Other than calling your doctor, you could try increasing your Fluid intake to fill up those hoses.

Thanks mdicurn. :rolleyes: I'm trying to drink more Water today to see if it helps. One of my blood pressure meds is a diuretic so it makes sense that I would need more liquids. I didn't even think about that. Hopefully drinking more will help.

I am a firm believer in the Protein Shakes, particularly the whey Protein. My dr wants me to have 120g of protein per day so these are a life saver for me. Also, as already suggested, increase your liquid intake as much as you can stand. I had the same thing for a little while but its smoothed out since increasing what I drink. Good luck, keep us posted.....Dave

Call the doctor. Explain your symptoms to the nurse. 106/69 is not usually a low enough blood pressure to cause those symptoms so it could be something else. I run between 94/60 and 118/68 as my norm. Take care of yourself first, then work. Even if you just talk to the nurse, it should give you some idea of what's going on. Please, just call.