Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

LA Madam: question on esophagitis

Hey Michelle,

I think I irritated my esophagus. :D Two nights ago I made the idiotic mistake of nibbling on peanuts almost immediately before bedtime. :ermm I woke up in the middle of the night with reflux, and then all day yesterday had low-level pain far down in my throat. I was very careful all day, consuming almost nothing solid, but then I made another idiotic mistake and had hot-and-sour Soup for dinner. (WHAT is wrong with me??) So I was awakened again last night with pain in my throat. Sitting upright and a Pepcid AC helped a lot, and a couple of hours later I could go back to bed.

So this morning I still have a little minor pain in my throat. I read over your earlier thread on your experience but rather than resurrect that whole thing I'm hoping you'll share what the cure was here. I know Dr. Ortiz gave you a scrip for something...was that because it had gotten really bad? Do you think that really babying my throat for a couple of days will do it?

(I am also still recovering from strep throat, which my younger daughter has just come down with AGAIN, so it is possible that I'm catching it as well. We're going to get tested this morning. Either way, it's herbal tea and soup for me this weekend.)

Wow Alex I don't know the answer to your question but I sure hope you are feeling better soon!! What did the test say about your strep throat? Oh dear, take it easy and hope u get well soon!

Thanks, Katie! Thankfully, both my older daughter and I tested negative for strep. But the doctor knows how families can hand the infection back and forth so she gave us a prescription for antibiotics to fill if we both feel worse as the days go by.

The weird thing is that I do have a fever (99.5) and a headache, and a small pain in my lungs when I take a deep breath--all in addition to the funny feeling of obstruction in my throat/esophagus. The doctor couldn't pinpoint any problem: my throat, ears, and lungs were all fine as far as she could tell. I asked her about the possibility of the dreaded aspiration pneumonia, and she said no, that would present with much more severe symptoms. (Whew!)

So today I'm not at all hungry and have had nothing but Water and coffee. Tylenol seems to have taken care of the headache and fever for the time being. Thanks for asking!

Alex,

I do just what you are doing now. liquid only until it resolves. My doctor said liquids and soft foods. It probably wouldn't hurt to take the Pepcid if it helps heal things. I would also follow that coffee with milk or Water. It can irritate if it sits there.

From my experience, it won't get better unless I baby it -- but then I have other problems that make it worse, too. Hope it gets better soon. :D

Alex, the liquids for a few days will definately help. Got to give your esophagus a rest so it has nothing to spasm or irritate it. The script Ortiz gave me actually made it worse for me so my PCP told me to stop taking it and within days & liquids only I was so much better. The script he gave me actually sped up the spasms instead of slowing them down like it was meant to do..You definately will not experience hunger when your esophagus is irritated, atleast I din't. I also took prevacid which helped heal my esophagus. I did not have any reflux or heartburn, just the pain in my throat and constant spasms. Liquids for a couple of days and you should be good ..unfortunaltey I was on liquids for 2 weeks becasue the first week I was in denial still eating somewhat solids & thinking it would go away and then by the 2nd week I could not take it any longer and went to TJ. I now know better and have learned from this experience. Next time, if there is one, straight to liquids for me. Hope you fell better soon :D