Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What did your doctor say about you having surgery?

I don’t understand your statement that your family is insisting you go to your PCP. Are they paying for your surgery? If you’re not a minor then it’s your decision to inform your PCP or not, or see her/him for an appointment before surgery. Since you’ll be self-pay, it is the MX surgeon that will approve your surgery, not your UK doctor. I do recommend you be completely transparent with the bariatric surgeon on your full health history and then talk to them about any pre-op tests or other info they may require. And make sure you pick a surgeon based on competence instead of price.

There are a lot of lightweights on this forum that have had very good results with bariatric surgery, myself included.

Edited by MarinaGirl

My pcp was not eager about me having the surgery. She did she'd rather I lose it without surgery. Im 42 and have been overweight since my early 20's. I've tried everything including spending $1000's at a weight loss clinic only to regain. She understood and signed my paperwork but said she'd be happy if I lost the weight before my surgery date.

Mine was for it, but he is an @ss and has no respect for his Patients. In one breath he said he would refure me to a Baritastic center of my choice and next breath said that to many fat people in Michigan. He is new here in the last few years and had practiced in another state.

Too many fat people in Michigan... so funny! My mom's family was from MI, no fat people in that group!

My family doc really didn't want me getting surgery. At a 48 BMI there was no question about my qualifying. She said, "The surgery won't do what you think it will" but she never even asked what I thought it would do!

So, I found a new doc that thought surgery was a good idea (though she WAS nervous about Mexico). Now she is so tickled every time she sees me. (I don't see the old doctor anymore.)

It's awful nice to have someone on my side when I need my routine bloodwork and aftercare.

My Primary Doc wasn't enthusiastic. Most medical people that I know are not fans. All of them have stories of people they knew that gained all of the weight back. I am guessing that most of those people had the lap band. I have no one that is supportive of my surgery except one person. Fortunately it's my boyfriend. He's very supportive and helpful to me.

My doctor was a complete ****** about it. He insisted on prescribing me diet pills instead. He couldn't get it through his head that I've been obese my who life. I weighed 100 pounds when I was eight and 400 when I graduated high school. I lost 200 in college, then gradually gained it back and then some over about five years.

His reasoning was that the only health problem I had was slightly high blood pressure. I'm 32, I have plenty of time to develop more if I don't lose weight and keep it off.

I hated that man. He thought he was lord of the universe.

Long story short, I had my surgery three months ago and found a new PCP and she's awesome!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using BariatricPal mobile app