Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New to site and need some advice

Hello everyone,

My name is Ailish and I live in Birmingham, UK. After 20 yrs of having a serious weight problem, doing endless diets, I have decided to have lap band surgery. Im sure everyone on this site can understand how jaded you become with the constant reminder of being overweight. And so whilst surfing the internet, I found this site. Im so grateful to have something like this where I can hear how so many others that are just like me. Being overweight can isolate you, so I really do appreciate the members on here who have posted so many different things.

Okay, I could go on for ages lol but really I also want to ask some advice. I've decided to have surgery abroad, somewhere in europe. Is there any place or Doctor then members can advise me on? And I would also like to know the costs too. If anyone has some information I would be truly grateful.

Thanks so much for reading!!! Have a grand day.

All the very best

~Ailish:)

HI AILISH AND WELCOME TO THE SITE:clap2::clap2: I TOO AM FROM THE UK I WAS BANDED ON AUG 11TH AT MANCHESTER THAT,S ABOUT TWO HOURS AWAY FROM WHERE I LIVE. I CAN,T HELP YOU ON THE GOING ABROAD FOR SURGERY STRUFF AS I HAD MINE HERE BUT I DID LOOK INTO IT AND THOUGHT PERHAPS I WOULD GO ABROAD AS IT,S MUCH CHEAPER, HOWEVER I DECIDED TO STAY IN MY OWN COUNTRY AND PAY THE EXTRA MONEY SO THAT I COULD HAVE AFTER CARE CLOSER TO HOME. IT,S OBVIOUSLY A VERY PERSONAL DECISION THAT EVERYONE HAS TO MAKE FOR THEMSELVES BUT FOR ME I THINK I HAVE MADE THE RIGHT DECISION BECAUSE I AM A WORRIER AND I KNOW THAT I CAN DRIVE DOWN THE MOTORWAY AND GET HELP ANYTIME I NEED,

GOOD LUCK ON YOUR JOURNEY AND I,M SURE YOU WILL FIND THIS SITE VERY INFORMATIVE AND SUPPORTIVE AS I DO, KEEP US POSTED ON HOW YOU GET ON OK? :whoo: BYE FOR NOW.

Thanks soooo much for your reply Lainee and I will keep you posted when I hear more news. I was in the chat room last night and everyone was so nice and supportive, I even chatted to a girl from Dublin ( which is my hometown). Im so glad I joined this site.

~Ailish

Hi Ailish, I'm not familiar with European surgeons. You may get more information if you post here, a forum we have dedicated to our UK friends. There, you will have the best chance of finding European bandsters who could share what they learned while trying to find a surgeon.

You might also want to register on Welcome to LAP-BAND.com. Once you register, you will have access to a surgeon database. I'm not sure if they list European surgeons, but I would guess they do.

Also, I have no idea if it's still there, but obesityhelp.com used to have a function where you could search for surgeons by region, and then read reviews people left for the surgeons. I know that US states were included in this, but I'm not sure if it extended to other countries or not.

Wheetsin, thanks so very much for your reply. I really appreicate your input. I Have been accepted for lapband surgery and I cant wait!!!!!! Hopefully I will be having surgery on the 25th November. Thanks again for your help

~Ailish