Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

pain in left side?

I had this weird side stitch pain a couple of months after surgery too. I did a little research and read that it has something to do with the way the band can rub on the diaphragm. Don't know if it touches it directly or if it's a "chain reaction". Anyway, the pain went away after a few weeks. I found a heating pad and changing positions a lot of times helped.

I also suffer from the left side pain that began under the ribcage and felt like a runners cramp which was more severe with deep breaths and when I was full. I am almost 1 yr post op and the pain didn't begin until 6 months post op. After an upper GI and other xrays, my dr. said that he believed it was from the tubing. When the tubing hits up against the diaphragm it hurts more when you take a deep breath. I had a laparoscopy on 8-13-08 to have the tubing shortened. He also moved it into a little bit of a different position and secured it to the abdominal wall to prevent shifting. My pain has now relocated to a new spot (lower left abdominal) and come to find out with a new xray, it is right where the tubing was relocated. I asked him if this was common and he said it was not and that about 1 in 1,000 patients will feel their tubing. It seems to be more common than that from what I've read. He told me that my only other choice at this point is to remove the band and tube completely and replace it with a new band that has a softer tubing. The problem with that being that insurance may not cover this.

I'm sorry to hear that so many of you experience this pain. I know what all the left sided pain patients out there feel like and it stinks! I hope the drs. can figure out how to help us with this issue!

How interesting. I spent a week in the hospital and a month in pain with left side pain under my ribs. I had every test in the book and nothing. they said it was mucsle but nothing I did made a difference. Last week my grandson accidentally bumped my back and the pain returned as bad as it was in the hospital. I realized then that I had a rib out of place. 2 visits to the Chiropractor and I am good as new. I have never had that happened before and I didn't do anything to make it happen. I was beginning to think I was just going to have to live with this horrible pain for the rest of my life. I don't know if it is your problem but it is just a thought.

I hope you find relief because I know how bad it can be.

Hi I'm Dawn. I'm sorry I'm not from the USA (unfortunately). I live in Scotland and am struggling to find others to speak to about the problems I am having. I am 6 days post op and am really struggling with the pain in my left side. I can't seem to find any position to sleep in that is comfortable. I was just looking for reassurance that this pain will go away soon.

I'm almost 3 weeks post op and I had the same pain/discomfort on my left side. It has now gone away. There is hope. Hang in there.

Hi I'm Dawn. I'm sorry I'm not from the USA (unfortunately). I live in Scotland and am struggling to find others to speak to about the problems I am having. I am 6 days post op and am really struggling with the pain in my left side. I can't seem to find any position to sleep in that is comfortable. I was just looking for reassurance that this pain will go away soon.

I too suffer from pain on my left side and am thinking it has something to do with my bowels. I feel bloated and gassy alot!! This weekend the pain was also through my back as well. :biggrin:

The first week post op I found it difficult to walk cause of side pain on the left side, just like a bad stitch. Week 2 started going away week 3 started coming back week 4 getting worse. I was banded on 3rd Sept 08, I did a bit of lifting yesterday and it is worse today, like I said it feels like a really bad stitch. Do you think it is just stomach muscles?

I have the same side stitch feeling on my left side as well but mainly just when I lay on my left side. Its a little uncomfortable but not really painful. I am over a year out and have been having it since having my band put in. Are any of you who are a year or more out still having this feeling?

I know this is an old thread, but i am here researching the same type of pain in my left side just under my ribcage. A few months ago when i mentioned it to my band doctor he said some pts. Expierience this and it has something to do with fact that that is where your stomach emptys into the large intestine. I didn't pay much attention at the time as it was happening much less often and was not very disruptive, however it is getting worse and has me concerned. Thankfuly i have my regular appt. With my dr. This wednesday. I have printed out some of the symptoms i've read here and will discuss these with my dr. I will be happy to report back what i find out if anyone has this issue still unresolved, if they will just replay with a request.

Yes, I know exactly what you are talking about. It seems as if it is right underneath my left ribs. Hurts often after completing a meal. Told my surgeon about it two weeks out of the procedure, sent me for an xray to ensure band placement. Everything was ok with my band, but still continue to have that nagging pain. But I did have mine BEFORE the lap band procedure and have told every Dr who will listen and still no resolve and the pain goes on:cursing:

OMG!!! I HAVE BEEN DEALING WITH THIS FOR ABOUT # WEEKS> I WAS BANDED ON 2/19. I hVE BEEN GOING BACK AND FORTH TO THE DOCTOR EVEN HAD X-RAYS BECAUSE I THOUGHT THEY LEFT SOMETHING INSIDE OF ME.

I get the same pain and I feel bloated and constipated. I have come to realise it happens when I overeat or something is stuck, and now that my band has slipped I have pain in my left side , my back and my chest alot!!!!

I actually had a long piece of skin from some kind of fruit or vege stuck for 4 days. the pain was horrendous. When it came out the pain went away almost immediately.

Yes me too! My I know for sure if I eat chicken or chew gum the pain get's worse!