Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NEW AND NERVOUS-please read and respond

hi everyone i love all the comments and posts that i've read so far hopefully u'll do the same for me

im Nicole im only 19 and I just received my referral to go ahead with the lap-band surgery. Im nervous, although i dont tell my mother or father that. I currently weight 360lbs and am sick of it. I really need help in what to eat thats the biggest part that scares me. I attended 6 months of mandatory nutrition classes but i still would really like to hear it from someone who has had the surgery and knows exactly what i am up against. I have questions if anyone is still out there to answer please respond. How long is recovery. I work as a cashier at GFS Marketplace and i do heavy lifting from time to time will that be a complication? I need quick and easy meals b/c im a college student and worker i dont have much time to set aside to cook a 45 min meal please help i dont know if im doing the right thing. I know that if i dont go through with this mai weight will only continue to increase as it has since i was 6. i need support and dont know where to look.

Know what you mean, two year ago I watched as my weight steadily climbed. Each doctors visit was 25 pounds more than the previous... I was 136 and ended up over 200 again. {entire family over weight and 136 came only after a year of Atkins} The band halted my weight gain and after the fills kicked in, has slowly reversed it.

Hang in there and pray about it. You will make the right decision for you.

It is not as hard as you think. Most people are off work anywhere between 1 week or two. I was off for 1 1/2 weeks. Heaving lifting is not allowed for a period of time, but talk with your Doctor about that. You will be on liquid diets for a few weeks after surgery so having plenty of Water and Protein Drinks on hand is a must. The Champion brand seems to taste the best for me, I get it at Super supplements but you can probably google a place that has it near you if you are interested. Once you move on to pureed foods there are plenty of options for applesauce, no sugar added, Soups etc. After awhile you will be eating just as you did before but only healthier, no sugar, high carbs ie white bread, rice, potatoes etc, only much smaller portions. It get some getting used to. I was banded two months ago and it gets easier with time. Hang in there and you will do great.

Comments below in blue.

I currently weight 360lbs and am sick of it. I really need help in what to eat thats the biggest part that scares me. I attended 6 months of mandatory nutrition classes but i still would really like to hear it from someone who has had the surgery and knows exactly what i am up against. I have questions if anyone is still out there to answer please respond. How long is recovery. I weighed 382 the day I had surgery. So I know what you're up against. I think it's great you're doing it while you're young. I wish the band had been available when I was 19 (though I was only like 15# overweight then... still wish!) I work as a cashier at GFS Marketplace and i do heavy lifting from time to time will that be a complication? I had surgery on a Wednesday. I pretty much slept off the rest of that day and the first part of Thursday. When I wasn't sleeping, I was chilling in a recliner or walking around the house. Friday I started to feel better. Friday evening I went to Target (leaned on the shopping cart) and walked a few laps around the store because I was restless. Saturday we took a car trip out of town and while I did take it easy, I also felt fine. Just barely sore at this point. By Monday (4 days post-op) I was ready to return to work, but my staples hit in the same place as my waistband, which was not so comfy. I have a job where I can telecommute, so I just worked from home until Wed - staples were taken out that evening. Thursday I returned to work and was just fine. You will (likely) be given a lifting restriction for 4 - 6 weeks. This should not interfere with your job, just show them the surgeon's documentation that restricts the weight you can lift.

I need quick and easy meals b/c im a college student and worker i dont have much time to set aside to cook a 45 min meal please help i dont know if im doing the right thing. There are so many quick meals out there, this won't be a problem. First of all, you're diet will PROBABLY be graduated. Meaning for a while you're only going to take in liquids. Then thich liquids, then muchy foods, then semisolids, then solids, etc. This sounds complicated but it's really simple. Each eating stage has its own "staples" than you will come to know & love.

I know that if i dont go through with this mai weight will only continue to increase as it has since i was 6. i need support and dont know where to look. This is a pretty good place, lots of experience and information. It's overwhelming - I know - I've been there, but it's always worse to stand there looking at it, than to actually be doing it.

Thich? Muchy? What were my fingers doing??

I should add - I weighed 382 the day I had surgery, and weighed in Monday at 235. I've gone from a 30/32+ (as in, I could go to Avenue and try on a 30/32 and MAYBE it fit), to a reliable 18/20 with the occasional 14/16, and occasional 22 in bottoms. That's because my hips are refusing to budge.

I started looking into the lapband when I was 25. Oh, how I wish I hadn't procrastinated.