Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Spouse staying at the hospital?

Hi All,

I was just wondering if your spouse or friend or support person stayed overnight with you at the hospital the day you got surgery.

I assumed my husband would be able to stay there with me on a couch or a cot or something. So did he. But I just got off the phone with my surgery center and they said he can only stay until 8 PM.

Although he knows I will be in good hands, he really wanted to stay with me because he is worried.

anyone else not allowed to have a spouse there or chose not to?

I actually wanted to be alone the whole time. But then the day after my surgery, my husband stopped by for an hour in the middle of the day, and it was nice.

I felt like someone came in my room every two hours or so to draw blood or take my vitals all night long, so I was happy to know that my husband was home sleeping comfortably. Plus, we have a child and a dog, so I needed to know that everything at home was running smoothly.

Surgery scheduled for next month. My husband will be staying the two nights at the hospital with me. Our kids will be staying with my mom. He said he will likely go home to shower and give my mom a break for a few hours before coming back.

I arrived at the hospital at 5:30 am Tuesday and left at 12:30 pm Wednesday. I didn't sleep well the one night I was in because someone was in every hour to check something - BP, Temp, etc. I got up everytime someone came in to walk a lap of the floor. I didn't talk to anyone and didn't want to. I wanted to sleep and did fitfully. Why would I make my husband sleep on an uncomfortable hospital couch or chair and have him not get any sleep either. He was at the hospital until about 5 pm and then went home to be with our girls. He came back after I called him to tell him I was being discharged. (We only live 10 minutes from the hospital.)

I really don't know why anyone would want their spouse to stay over. It's not like when you have a baby and you don't trust anyone else with your newborn.

You aren't going to sleep and neither is he, which mean the kids will have two, tired, grumpy parents when you get home.

It's not me that is asking him to stay on an uncomfortable couch or chair. He is just like that. He said he is so worried he would not be comfortable anywhere else but staying in the same room as me. I keep telling him it will be just fine . We have four children at home that my mother-in-law was going to stay with. But now he will be able to be with them. That's a lot of work in itself and he probably is needed at home. The kids are 16,13,10 and 4 and they are all in sports. So I felt like it would be better he was home as well. But he's not happy about it.

Thank you guys for telling me your story. It's nice to hear what others went through on their journey.

13 hours ago, Road2health said:

It's not me that is asking him to stay on an uncomfortable couch or chair. He is just like that. He said he is so worried he would not be comfortable anywhere else but staying in the same room as me. I keep telling him it will be just fine . We have four children at home that my mother-in-law was going to stay with. But now he will be able to be with them. That's a lot of work in itself and he probably is needed at home. The kids are 16,13,10 and 4 and they are all in sports. So I felt like it would be better he was home as well. But he's not happy about it.

Thank you guys for telling me your story. It's nice to hear what others went through on their journey.

I have four kids at home as well and my husband is the same way- he will want to the right there with me the whole time and it isn't me asking him. I was the same way when he had surgery a few years ago- I slept on a cot 8 months pregnant because I didn't want to leave him alone. I will make him go home though. The hospital that I will be having the surgery has a seasoned staff in their recovery floor and I can convince him I am in good hands.