Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Walking - How Much?

Hi guys! I just got sleeved 9/6/17 - down 10 lbs :)

I had a question about walking - I know that everyone says you need to walk a lot - but how much are we talking? I walk a bit throughout the day but am I supposed to be walking like 4 miles a day? Unfortunately, my post op plan does not specify - it just says exercise daily. I feel like my legs are kinda feeling odd from all the pressure and that I'm not walking enough but when I walk to do the dishes and walk around the house to do some chores I get sooo tired and just need to sit. Other than that I think I'm doing okay.

Thanks in advance :)

I think that you should ease into it, and only do whatever you feel like doing. Everybody is different, and what works for one person can land another in the ER. At 5 days out, I was walking about 20 minutes 5X daily at a slow pace. I wasn't trying to workout. Rather, I was trying to relieve the bloating and last bits of gas that were in my system.

It is very important to make sure that you hare hitting your liquid goals before you start getting serious at working out. You don't want to become dehydrated. Add to those goals as your intensity increases so as to replace liquids lost through perspiration.

Other than that, there is no set guideline for how much you should be walking daily. At 5 weeks out, I walk 4-5 miles 5X weekly. There are people that run 2 miles or more several times per week at 5 weeks out. There are also people that don't walk for exercise at all.

Hope this helps!

Walking is not my thing this time around, thankfully I have not gas trapped in my body like the last time. I am dealing with insomnia and then napping most of the day. Hate it, tomorrow I change to puree diet. Let see if I have more energy.

Sent from my SM-N920T using BariatricPal mobile app

In the first few weeks I tried to do 30 more mins. It was often broken into 10 min segments. I really could do more until I added solids.

at 3 months post op I'm doing 3 miles/ 60 min.

take you r time and listen to your body. Your energy level will dictate what you can do.

I was wondering the same. Oddly at 5 days post op, I was walking at least 3 miles, 2 days I did 60 mins on elliptical, and then my post op visit they said I needed to dial it back for the next few weeks, but I felt fine. I do 30 mins of walking at 3.2 mph avg and get in 1.6-1.8 miles.

I was walking 2-3 miles 4 days post op, but that is just what I did. Everyone has a different energy level and you should listen to your body. I did tire myself out a little trying to do too much to soon. Ease into exercise and make sure you can stay hydrated. I am an active person so it was harder to stay still and let my body heal.

I started running about 5 weeks post-op when I knew I could drink more fluids easily. I did not run in the heat of the day to avoid any problems with hydration.