Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It's been 6 months since i have started this journey.. I have completed all my visits, etc. The last step was to get my labs done before they turned everything into my insurance company. My insurance is very picky so they wanted an H.Pylori breath test done as well. Everything came back negative except the H.Pylori :( I am now taking Amoxocilin, Biaxin, and Prilosec for 14 days.. It's only been 6 days so far, but i am wanting to know what else people have taken along with this regimen to help them test negative at their next breath test? I have heard some say Petpo Bismol works but when do i take it and how much a day and for how long? Anything else that people have tried??? I am really wanting to get my surgery soon and we though it would be in Oct. but since i am positive for the H.Pylori they won't even schedule me for surgery yet because my insurance wants the H.pylori test.. So I am wanting to be negative when i go get tested again OCT.3 So i don't have to do all of this regimen again.... Please any advice or suggestions or what has worked for you will be grateful :) Thank you

Edited by JloCuchara

H pylori is an infection that is treated by using antibiotics. H. pylori infections are usually treated with at least two different antibiotics at once, to help prevent the bacteria from developing a resistance to one particular antibiotic. Your doctor also will prescribe or recommend an acid-suppressing drug, to help your stomach lining heal. http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/h-pylori/diagnosis-treatment/treatment/txc-20318868 That is why you were prescribed two antibiotics amoxoclin and Biaxin.

You definitely want to kill this infection prior to surgery. Otherwise after surgery you will experience extreme nausea and be unable to keep anything down. So do try and cheat this test, just make sure you kill the infection.

On 9/11/2017 at 6:58 PM, James Marusek said:

H pylori is an infection that is treated by using antibiotics. H. pylori infections are usually treated with at least two different antibiotics at once, to help prevent the bacteria from developing a resistance to one particular antibiotic. Your doctor also will prescribe or recommend an acid-suppressing drug, to help your stomach lining heal. http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/h-pylori/diagnosis-treatment/treatment/txc-20318868 That is why you were prescribed two antibiotics amoxoclin and Biaxin.

You definitely want to kill this infection prior to surgery. Otherwise after surgery you will experience extreme nausea and be unable to keep anything down. So do try and cheat this test, just make sure you kill the infection.

I'm not trying to "cheat" the test but i heard that sometimes the antibiotic regimen doesn't work and some have to do it again. I also heard that some take the peto bismol with it so i was wanting to know if others have done that or what else they took along with the antibiotics to help them get rid of it? I have heard some say eat more brussel sprouts as they are high in something that helps kill it, etc. My surgeon wont do the surgery if i have it so i am trying to get rid of it. I never even had any symptoms of having it so not sure how long it's been inside my body?

There were several individuals on this website that had this condition, didn't know it and after surgery discovered that they had extreme nausea, which prevented them from eating. Probably the reason why you are taking two antibiotics at once is because using a single antibiotic has not treated the condition for individuals trying to kill this infection. Here are some links to a discussion on this topic.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/rny/4347753/SURGERY-WITH-H-PYLORI

https://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/215679-h-pylori/

https://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/266403-stomach-h-pylori-bacteria/