Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Advice From Mom's of Youg Kids

I am going to my information session tomorrow and have done so much research already that I am pretty sure the band is for me! My greatest concern at this point is I have a 2 and a 3 year old and I wonder if I will be able to care for them after the surgery. I have read that some people have a lot of pain. I know I need to quit sleeping on their bedroom floor when they wake up in the night....that already makes me sore and I haven't had surgery! But we are about 2 weeks out from finishing a second bedroom (one just isn't working...they never go to sleep) and I plan on breaking the floor sleeping habit at the same time). My husband works long hours so after a few days I am sure I will be alone with them at times. Can I pick them up, carry them, wrestle their pajamas on them???? I plan to ask tomorrow night but I would sure like to hear from some parents of toddlers!:cool:

Thanks!

Jae

For a while my now 4 year old had to quit climbing all over me and no lifting for 2 weeks!

Now it is a non issue......... he still climbs all over me and I wrestle him in and out of the tub and clothes!

It will be hard but it can be done....I have a 6, 4 and 3 year old at home not to mention horses, dogs, a cat and a husband that need constant attention. With working full time and my side business I was panicked about the surgery. It took me a good 3 days of sleeping and resting before I really felt like I could jump somewhat back into their routine. I would plan on at least that much time and then see if someone can come over and help. You won't want to be picking them up very much and you will be sleeping sitting somewhat up right for a few weeks so the floor is definitely out. The pain wasn't tremendous....I have had 3 c sections and the pain wasn't as bad as those (if you have had any to compare it to). The pain meds work great, the bad part is they make you tired. Some went right on tylenol after surgery and were fine....I used the pain meds because I wanted to sleep, it was a nice break for me to be in a fog for once.....hehehe.

I had lap band surgery on Oct. 5th. I have a 7, 4, and 2 year old. I did have help the weekend of my surgery. My sister n law took my kids home with her for the weekend. I was pretty sick for the first week, mostly due to the diet I was on after surgery. My sugar kept dropping at night and I was weak and didn't feel like doing much at all. My doctor said I was not allowed to lift my kids for a few weeks. So if you can get help with the kids you should. Best of luck!!!

You'll be fine. I was up doing my normal thing. Now, I was tired alot, not going to fool you. But if you ever have been sick...the flu...anything...this is just like that.

Good luck!

When I had my surgery my youngest two were 2 & 4. My Doctor said I could not lift anything over 10 lbs. for 8 weeks. I'll be honest I was lifting them before that. For the first few weeks I could not lift them but I was fine if they climbed on to my lap by themselves after the first week. For me this was the hardest part of my recovery because my kids love to be held. I could take care of them in every other way I just couldn't lift them.

I had a 9 year old a 7 year old and a 2 year old. The boys were dropped at school for a day or two for me, and brought home by a friend so I didnt have to drive. Just for two days.

Eliza (the 2 year old) went off with Doug in the morning to my mum's house for I think 3 days. Might have been 4, cant remember. I had my surgery on a Friday and came home saturday morning, so Doug was there for the weekend. So I think in total I had 5 days where I didnt have to do much for eliza, and of course the boys didnt need to be lifted up, put in and out of the car and have nappies changed, lol.

By day 5 or 6 (whenever it was that I got Eliza back) I was fine to do everything on my own. I wasnt running marathons, but Doug's gone at 7 am and back home at about 7pm, 7.30pm so I was on my own all day and coped fine.

GREAT!!!! Maybe I will wait until our 19 year old son can be home from college for a week or so. He is great with his little sisters. He helped a lot when I got home from China and my husband was working. We were so jet lagged and it was tough getting the girls to be okay with each other.

Thanks for all the real life experience. I think I can handle it with some help. My girls are wild little monkeys so I will definitely ask for some help:)

Jae