Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone! Like many others, I too have read this site for some time now. This is my first post because I've been a little apprehensive to post--but then I thought, "what the heck" and decided to introduce myself. I'm 19 (young I know) and I decided to begin my lap-band journey in June of this year. Basically, my main reason for choosing to have this surgery is because this really is a last resort. I know some of you may be thinking that I'm awfully young to have to move to a "last resort" but, hear me out. I've been overweight my whole life, seriously, my mom started watching what I ate at age two. Anway, at twelve I was diagnosed with dismetabolic syndrome with insulin resisitance. We hear about this a lot now, well type two diabetes in children now but when I was diagnosed my case was actually just surfacing. In one of the leading children's hospitals in the nation, I was the only patient with a condition like mine in the whole hospital. Anyway, sorry to go on and on. So, now at 19 I am at risk for PCOS and have normal blood pressure but it's abnormally high for my age. My mother and gradmother are also overweight--so I guess you could say it runs in the family. I am experiencing things that a fifty year old woman should be dealing with--not a nineteen year-old. I'll give a few more details about my self, just so you get the idea---I promise to make it short! :eek: I also have lower back pain and joint pain in my knees. I did tae kwon do for three years and while I was healthier, the weight never seemed to come off. Oh, I almost forgot my diet! Since about twelve I have been eating low carb but have not cut out carbs completely. And last but not least---my weight and height (for the whole world to see) I am 5'7 and about 330.

OK, so now you know a little about me. Let's see, what else can I say...ah yes, surgeons. I have United Heath Care (primary) and Coventry (secondary) insurance but am having to go through conventry. My primary won't cover the surgery until I am 21 so...secondary insurance it is. As far as the surgeon...really my only option is Dr. Hohen from the Bariatric Center of Kansas City. Coventry only has Dr. Hohen in their network--at least that's anywhere close to where I live. I like in the KC metro area but go to school in Springfield, MO. While I am mentioning school--I'm an English Education major and I love literature---Go English! :biggrin1:

Anway, this is getting to be a novella...so I'll end it here. I look forward to meeting all of you and have enjoyed reading the plethora of information on this site--it's amazing.

Oh, and as of now, I am still in the beginning of this journey. As of Friday, my file is being referred to the person in charge of the psych. consult! Finally, after 3 months the ball begins to role!:clap2:

Lauren :kiss2:

Lauren:

Congrats on starting your journey. I hope that all goes well with the psych appointment.

You go girl!

Sue Magoo

H-324/S-287/C-252/G-160

Thanks Sue Magoo! From the stats, you seem to be doing great with your band! Yay! Keep the good work up!