Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

SOS - Day 14 first day back at work. Nausea and reflux... WHERE DID THIS COME FROM?!

Today is my first day back at work (after 2 weeks off) I had my surgery 14 days ago. Had a little bit of nausea early post op. This morning getting ready for work I had a shake, drank frequently through the day, Soup for lunch and casserole (puréed) for dinner and just puked. :(

I've been feeling nauseous all day and a reflux type feeling... does anyone have any advice?

Are you still taking your acid blocker? That is needed for up to 3-6 months after surgery. It could be you ate a little too fast. If I do that I will feel bad for about an hour after eating.

22 minutes ago, Kaddy said:

My doctor didn't prescribe me with one. It's lasted all day (the reflux/nausea) I might give him a call :(

That surprises me, but you can buy one over the counter if you need to. It takes a few days for the meds to build up and kick in. I would start with 20mg emerprazole and if need be move up to 40mg. I am not sure if I spelled that correctly, but it is close.

I usually just buy the store brand and it works fine.

21 minutes ago, Kaddy said:

Perfect! Thankyou ! I just want it to go away... is it normal?

Yes very normal for the VSG. Most doctors start you on a acid blocker in the hospital.

It likely is acid, but another place to look is your Vitamins.

I vomited for the first time post op yesterday (over 5 months out!). Vitamins didn't sit well at all :( (I had just changed type a few days ago).

I don't have acid reflux issues, but then again, I have been on omeprazole (Prilosec) since surgery 3 weeks ago. My doctor said that I only needed to take it for 2 weeks, but I'm hesitant to get off of it for the first month or two. Isn't is a coincidence that I too had a bit of nausea upon returning to work 2 weeks later? Never had it any other time. Maybe it's work! Going from relaxing and resting when you need it to actually having to wake up and get back to the grind. I would be interested to find out if there are any studies on this. Anyway, your body might have to adjust to the change in your daily habits. Especially if your line of work is demanding. Keep us posted.

It likely is acid, but another place to look is your Vitamins.
I vomited for the first time post op yesterday (over 5 months out!). Vitamins didn't sit well at all [emoji20] (I had just changed type a few days ago).

This is really interesting... yesterday when I started on my chewable vitamins I felt off immediately... I wonder if I give them a break for a few days to see

I don't have acid reflux issues, but then again, I have been on omeprazole (Prilosec) since surgery 3 weeks ago. My doctor said that I only needed to take it for 2 weeks, but I'm hesitant to get off of it for the first month or two. Isn't is a coincidence that I too had a bit of nausea upon returning to work 2 weeks later? Never had it any other time. Maybe it's work! Going from relaxing and resting when you need it to actually having to wake up and get back to the grind. I would be interested to find out if there are any studies on this. Anyway, your body might have to adjust to the change in your daily habits. Especially if your line of work is demanding. Keep us posted.

Very demanding work and I also didn't have the flexibility to rest, eat and drink often, however still consumed my Protein requirements over the day. Got home and crashed!

I found that after WLS surgery I had issues with sugar alcohols (i.e. artificial sweeteners ending in -itol, such as xylitol, sorbitol, etc.). These are common ingredients in chewable vitamins and made me puke post-gastric bypass.

A symptom of dehydration can be nausea so make sure you're getting at least 64 oz of fluids a day.