Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Human beings eat WAY too much food...

Wow has my outlook changed already..........:wow2:

Has anyone else noticed things "differently" since starting the liquid diet? I was banded 5 days ago, and everything is starting to look differently to me. I'm noticing how MUCH volume other people eat, it's astounding. Good heavens, did I eat that much? Where did I put those HUGE portions that I see other people eating? No wonder people are fat! I was recently at a family style restaurant known for it's massive portions, and good grief...... I can't believe now that people don't just leave there and go vomit in the parking lot! It's amazing to me how MUCH people can shove into their stomach -- now that my stomach is practically empty all the time.

Sorry for rambling. :blabla: But I'm so GLAD I'm banded now, because I'll never be able to pig out like that again. Gross!

I'm FREE FREE FREE and ready to fly! :Banane10:

I know what you mean...my husband (who is thin) was eating Arby's today and I was not even at all tempted by watching him. He is so sweet saying he won't eat around me, but I tell him to go ahead because it doesn't bother me yet.

I feel so delicate and bird-like sipping on my broth and Water...first time in my life! :eek:

I haven't even been banded 12 hours and I'm so excited by the fact that I don't remember a time that I have felt like this. I am just NOT hungry, and not only that, but I have no interest in eating.

I keep telling my hubby, "I'm not hungry" with this big grin on my face! It's the most amazing feeling.

Holly I have been examining portion sizes since I decided to get my band, and you are sooo right! The amount of food that is put on a plate for a single meal is probably more than sufficient to feed most people for an entire day. I think we have lost all perspective due to our fortune in terms of living in lands of plenty. I don't believe it's so fortunate for our health though!

Susie

I agree with the whole portion size thing. I have actually started getting hungry today. But I cannot imagine the thought of eating a huge meal. I can't believe how much food people consume. I hope I keep that attitude and don't want to eat much anymore.

I'm not an Oct bandster (mine 9/5) but I can definitely relate. The other day my family and I went out, and I got something off the kids menu and I couldn't eat it all. I just sat there amazed. I had the stuffed feeling that you get leaving a buffet, but I'd only had 4-5 bites! It was great! But I watched the rest of my family down everything, then eat mine! Portion Control is a big problem, and people are getting bigger because of it.

Ever see the movie Super Size Me?

People disgust me now. Everyone scarfs down HUGE meals when you go out to eat. Massive plates of food (and this is Australia, where we havent quite reached the gargantuan US portions yet!) and they shovel it in, talk with their mouths open, ugh. Its horrid to watch.

And this is just my girlfriends, lol!

I'm very critical (silently) of others' eating now. Especially people who are obese. Like finally doing something about my problems give me the right to think that way towards others I know... weird.

When I first read the title of this thread, my initial reaction was "No, just the fat ones."

I would say the average meal at an average restaurant should feed about 3 people. And I don't mean 3 bandsters.

Wheetsin- I agree.. I don't judge others eating a lot either. We all did it too. That is how we got into this situation. But seeing others eat really makes a light bulb go off in my head. "I so did that." And I don't want anyone else to do that to get into a place like I did.

It was really weird on the 10 day diet (first 7 days mostly liquid, last 3 days only liquid).... my roommate, who is thin, always ate as much food as I do. Somehow his BMI is NORMAL yet mine is mordibly obese. yet he eats the same amount as me and gets the same amount of activity :angry .... but anyways.... Once on the diet, I found myself thinking how it's crazy how much food he eats. Tons and tons of unhealthy food! I can't believe I ate like that! I'm sipping my little Protein drink or eating my two bites of chicken and he is snarfing down on a huge plate of burritos with cheese and and corndogs and then eats a ton of icecream for desert.

I miss being able to eat some of those things some but the cravings are so much less now. Basically I just want some variety now. A small piece of grilled chicken, a low fat spinach enchilada, or some sauteed veggies. yum!

I also can't wait to try this recipe I saw on TV using purred brocolli as the batter for chicken. This could be a good way to replace normal batter and frying chicken. I hope it turns out tasty once I can eat solids again. ;)

My parents both want to be banded. They're trying to figure out the insurance ordeal. At first my mom was not really pro-banding when I was having my surgery, but seeing me changed her mind. They're in their lower 50s. My mother has been overweight... as long as I can remember. I remember one time when I was about 10 she joined Weight Watchers and got down to a sz 18. She has probably been around a sz 24 most of my life. Now she's in a... well... I'm not sure. Not much at LB fits her, and she's wearing my pre-op clothes, which means she's around a 30/32, but about 7" shorter than me. She's prbably wearing a 5x or 6x now. My father has great success with weightloss but no success with maintenance. He used to be in the military and never had much of a weight problem until he retired. He was overweight, probably wearing pants in the 40s, and now he wears like a 52.

I think they've both reached the point where they've given up, and see surgical intervention as their only hope.

But it's sad, because they've given up -- they aren't trying. We visited them Saturday. They had just eaten lunch (buffet) when we got there. Miscommunication, we thought we were all eating together, so DH and I had not eaten yet. They said they would go with us and just get a drink. So we get to a restaurant, DH & I order, and then my mother orders a large bowl of the cheesey Soup and a (quite large) appetizer, and dad orders a separate appetizer. This is no more than an hour after they've gotten home from a lunch buffet.

I said nothing, because I've been there. But I was thinking how sad it was, and how glad I am to not be there anymore. I felt disgusted. Not with my parents, but with their behavior.

I hope they figure out their insurance soon.

I have become fascinated with this, and have posted several times about it.

It's baffling how quick people eat.. how much they put in their mouth in one bite, then swallow. And by the end of it, they have had bread, Soup, an appetizer, entree, and dessert at some point.

I did it too, but I can't wrap my brain around HOW.

When DH eats, I give him funny looks. I'm hoping to make him self-conscious so he slows down, but he doesn't care.

When we go out to restaurants, I skip on the bread, so he eats just about all of it. He always wants an appetizer, say fried mushrooms (a common appetizer for him). I eat 1 if that (hard time getting one down with a fork and knife). He pops them in, and will eat the entire basket to himself.. just in time for the biggest steak and potatoes they have on the menu. Then he eats every bite. I have eaten maybe 4 bites by time he's done.. and I'm spitting up and ready to go. And sometimes he still has room to split a dessert with me. It baffles the mind.

And it really HIT me the other day when he was eating a monster burger at a restaurant.. I will never do that again. I physically couldn't. What an odd realization.. I'll never bite into a big ol mushroom swiss burger from Chili's...without tearing it apart and dissecting it.

I know what you mean,Holly. I was thinking the same thing. This surgery has changed my whole outlook on food. I now eat to keep from being hungery(what a thought) I realize now that most of the time I eat is because I am stressed, It just taste too good or I am at a social event where their is just too much food.

Last night I went out with a few of my friends from work and ordered a meal (which was very hard since I am in the puree stage LOL) When I got my food I was so surprised at the portion!! I could only eat 1/4 of it. It was then that I realized that I was not listening to my body. I just ate everything on my plate instead of quitting when I was full.

It is amazing how going through surgery to loose weight changes your whole outlook on food!!

Holli

Banded October 1

21 lbs down and 79 to go!!:whoo:

I know, moral judgements aside, its simply the HOW of it that is so fascinating.

I've barely taken a bite and both my sons have finished their dinner! People just dont even take the time to taste things.

It really does go to show I think that eating is simply a survival mechanism to us. All the niceties around it, those are all cultural things that we've tried to impose, but it doesnt deny the fact that our bodies just want food and they want it now. And they will eat whatever is available - becuase we are not evolved to know that there's food just around the corner again.

People that arent fat, arent banded and eat nicely, dont overeat and dont bolt their meals, they probably wouldnt have survived a million years ago, lol.

It'd be us, rolling around in drooling agony after eating an entire bison that would survive the eight weeks until another one came along!