Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hoping for help

I'm new here and have been looking for help with some of the problems I'm having with my band.

Here’s part of my story. I got banded 6-12-06. I was 400 lbs and in a really bad place. I got down to 314 lbs in about 5 months. Unfortunately, I haven't been doing very well and now I'm back up to 360 lbs. I had a fill in March 2007. This was my 4th fill, now up to 6cc out of a possible 10cc. Prior to this fill it seemed the band was having no effect on me. I was able to eat like I had no band. After this fill I had mixed experiences. Eating Breakfast and lunch was often very difficult. After one or two bites of food it seemed to get stuck. I would take small bites and chew it well, at least most of the time (sometimes I’d forget and put too much food in my mouth or I’d eat too quickly). I would experience pain in my chest and then throw up. Sometimes I forced myself to throw up to try and relieve the pain I was experiencing. Usually this helped but I would be unable to eat anything for the remainder of the morning and afternoon. By the time I would get home from work I’d be really hungry. Now for some reason that I can’t explain, I had no difficulties eating (or some minor discomfort). There was no pain and I would be able to eat just about as much as I wanted as if there were no band in place. Obviously this was the worst time to stuff myself, it being that close to bedtime. This pattern continued for a while and I started putting the weight back on. I went to see my bariatric doctor and he said I was just eating too much at night and the food was just sitting in my pouch all night into the afternoon of the next day so that when I tried to eat there was already too much food in the pouch and I’d throw up. I agreed I was eating too much food at night but I never really bought into the idea that the food was just sitting in the pouch all night into the afternoon of the next day. I tried working with a nutritionist but the problem continued. The doctor sent me for a barium-swallowing test and the results showed I had severe refluxing going on. They prescribed Nexium and after a few months there was still no relief. I still can’t understand why I would experience such problems during the day but by night it was as if I had no bad. Has anyone else ever experienced this?

The day problems aside it was my understanding that the band was supposed to prevent you from overeating. Yet in the evenings I could just go on eating until I felt full, which was always after consuming a huge quantity of food (for example 6 slices of a large pizza or almost a pound of pasta). I never could get an explanation as to why I could eat so much with the band. I feared getting another fill because I was already having too much trouble eating during the day. I stopped eating Breakfast and tried to have a sensible lunch. Sometimes this worked but too often it didn’t. I couldn’t point to a particular food item either as the cause for pain and throwing up. meat, vegetables (raw or cooked), fruit, grains or other starches have all at one time or another caused this problem. I’ve tried drinking some hot tea or coffee before eating lunch. This seems to have helped in some cases but doesn’t always work. Finally my doctor performed an endoscopy to see if the band had shifted. Everything looked fine is what he told me.

On Friday, October 12 I went for another fill, now at 7cc. Friday went ok. I had lunch and a small dinner (at least small compared to what I was usually eating at dinnertime). Late Friday when I was taking my evening medications I experienced a fair amount of pain again. I didn’t throw up but was in discomfort for a while. On Saturday I tried eating about 1/3 cup of celery salad (just shredded celery root in Water, vinegar and sugar liquid) for lunch. Well even after counting 30 chews before swallowing I felt pain in my chest as if something was stuck. After a short period I threw up several times, not food just a clear mucus type of liquid. After an hour or so I felt better but I couldn’t eat anything else the rest of the day. I tried several sips of Crystal Light but this was very uncomfortable. I didn’t dare try taking my medications. Now it’s Sunday. I was able to take my AM meds without problems. For lunch I tried ½ can of tuna (in water) with some Miracle Whip Light on a small potato bread roll. Spent about ½ hour eating it and now I’m experiencing some discomfort and refluxing.

Has anyone out there experienced this or know of anyone else who has? I’m just at a loss as to what to do. Any help would be appreciated.

Sorry for being long winded and thanks for listening.

I'm new here and have been looking for help with some of the problems I'm having with my band.

Here’s part of my story. I got banded 6-12-06. I was 400 lbs and in a really bad place. I got down to 314 lbs in about 5 months. Unfortunately, I haven't been doing very well and now I'm back up to 360 lbs. I had a fill in March 2007. This was my 4th fill, now up to 6cc out of a possible 10cc. Prior to this fill it seemed the band was having no effect on me. I was able to eat like I had no band. After this fill I had mixed experiences. Eating breakfast and lunch was often very difficult. After one or two bites of food it seemed to get stuck. I would take small bites and chew it well, at least most of the time (sometimes I’d forget and put too much food in my mouth or I’d eat too quickly). I would experience pain in my chest and then throw up. Sometimes I forced myself to throw up to try and relieve the pain I was experiencing. Usually this helped but I would be unable to eat anything for the remainder of the morning and afternoon. By the time I would get home from work I’d be really hungry. Now for some reason that I can’t explain, I had no difficulties eating (or some minor discomfort). There was no pain and I would be able to eat just about as much as I wanted as if there were no band in place. Obviously this was the worst time to stuff myself, it being that close to bedtime. This pattern continued for a while and I started putting the weight back on. I went to see my bariatric doctor and he said I was just eating too much at night and the food was just sitting in my pouch all night into the afternoon of the next day so that when I tried to eat there was already too much food in the pouch and I’d throw up. I agreed I was eating too much food at night but I never really bought into the idea that the food was just sitting in the pouch all night into the afternoon of the next day. I tried working with a nutritionist but the problem continued. The doctor sent me for a barium-swallowing test and the results showed I had severe refluxing going on. They prescribed Nexium and after a few months there was still no relief. I still can’t understand why I would experience such problems during the day but by night it was as if I had no bad. Has anyone else ever experienced this?

The day problems aside it was my understanding that the band was supposed to prevent you from overeating. Yet in the evenings I could just go on eating until I felt full, which was always after consuming a huge quantity of food (for example 6 slices of a large pizza or almost a pound of pasta). I never could get an explanation as to why I could eat so much with the band. I feared getting another fill because I was already having too much trouble eating during the day. I stopped eating breakfast and tried to have a sensible lunch. Sometimes this worked but too often it didn’t. I couldn’t point to a particular food item either as the cause for pain and throwing up. meat, vegetables (raw or cooked), fruit, grains or other starches have all at one time or another caused this problem. I’ve tried drinking some hot tea or coffee before eating lunch. This seems to have helped in some cases but doesn’t always work. Finally my doctor performed an endoscopy to see if the band had shifted. Everything looked fine is what he told me.

On Friday, October 12 I went for another fill, now at 7cc. Friday went ok. I had lunch and a small dinner (at least small compared to what I was usually eating at dinnertime). Late Friday when I was taking my evening medications I experienced a fair amount of pain again. I didn’t throw up but was in discomfort for a while. On Saturday I tried eating about 1/3 cup of celery salad (just shredded celery root in Water, vinegar and sugar liquid) for lunch. Well even after counting 30 chews before swallowing I felt pain in my chest as if something was stuck. After a short period I threw up several times, not food just a clear mucus type of liquid. After an hour or so I felt better but I couldn’t eat anything else the rest of the day. I tried several sips of Crystal Light but this was very uncomfortable. I didn’t dare try taking my medications. Now it’s Sunday. I was able to take my AM meds without problems. For lunch I tried ½ can of tuna (in water) with some Miracle Whip Light on a small potato bread roll. Spent about ½ hour eating it and now I’m experiencing some discomfort and refluxing.

Has anyone out there experienced this or know of anyone else who has? I’m just at a loss as to what to do. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Blueguy,

Sorry to hear that you are having so many problems. Have you tried giving up bread with your meals? Our nutritionist says that some people just can't tolerate bread with the band because it is do doughy and gets stuck - kind of turns to paste inside. Also, our doctor says if you are having pain drop your food amounts by a few tablespoons for example instead of 1/2 cup tuna try just 1/4 cup tuna, etc. Good Luck to you and I hope you feel better soon.

shelli:girl_hug:

I, like most people with the lapband feel more restricted during the Am and lunch time, and then when dinner time comes i can eat better but not a great ammount.

It seems that now you have a more decent restriction. Have you tried eating liquids or mushies for lunch only? I usually only have tea for breakfast and a Soup and a cracker for lunch, that way i don't have any episodes of PB'ing. Then at dinner i eat some solid food.

Here’s part of my story. I got banded 6-12-06. I was 400 lbs and in a really bad place. I got down to 314 lbs in about 5 months. Unfortunately, I haven't been doing very well and now I'm back up to 360 lbs. I had a fill in March 2007. This was my 4th fill, now up to 6cc out of a possible 10cc. Prior to this fill it seemed the band was having no effect on me. I was able to eat like I had no band. After this fill I had mixed experiences. Eating breakfast and lunch was often very difficult. After one or two bites of food it seemed to get stuck. I would take small bites and chew it well, at least most of the time (sometimes I’d forget and put too much food in my mouth or I’d eat too quickly). I would experience pain in my chest and then throw up. Sometimes I forced myself to throw up to try and relieve the pain I was experiencing. Usually this helped but I would be unable to eat anything for the remainder of the morning and afternoon. By the time I would get home from work I’d be really hungry. Now for some reason that I can’t explain, I had no difficulties eating (or some minor discomfort). There was no pain and I would be able to eat just about as much as I wanted as if there were no band in place. Obviously this was the worst time to stuff myself, it being that close to bedtime. This pattern continued for a while and I started putting the weight back on. I went to see my bariatric doctor and he said I was just eating too much at night and the food was just sitting in my pouch all night into the afternoon of the next day so that when I tried to eat there was already too much food in the pouch and I’d throw up. I agreed I was eating too much food at night but I never really bought into the idea that the food was just sitting in the pouch all night into the afternoon of the next day. I tried working with a nutritionist but the problem continued. The doctor sent me for a barium-swallowing test and the results showed I had severe refluxing going on. They prescribed Nexium and after a few months there was still no relief. I still can’t understand why I would experience such problems during the day but by night it was as if I had no bad. Has anyone else ever experienced this?

The day problems aside it was my understanding that the band was supposed to prevent you from overeating. Yet in the evenings I could just go on eating until I felt full, which was always after consuming a huge quantity of food (for example 6 slices of a large pizza or almost a pound of pasta). I never could get an explanation as to why I could eat so much with the band. I feared getting another fill because I was already having too much trouble eating during the day. I stopped eating breakfast and tried to have a sensible lunch. Sometimes this worked but too often it didn’t. I couldn’t point to a particular food item either as the cause for pain and throwing up. meat, vegetables (raw or cooked), fruit, grains or other starches have all at one time or another caused this problem. I’ve tried drinking some hot tea or coffee before eating lunch. This seems to have helped in some cases but doesn’t always work. Finally my doctor performed an endoscopy to see if the band had shifted. Everything looked fine is what he told me.

Blueguy

I please know that the following is meant to help not to offend

1st your choices of food are not the best and this may have something to do with you not losing weight &/or getting stuck. (bread/sugar)

Have your tried protien shakes and Soups instead of actual chewing food - or at least mushies and making good food choices instead... My doc has you follow the rules just like after surgery when you get a fill... 1 week full liquids - 1 week mushiee - 1 week soft.

Why did you wait 9 months before your first fill? Why are you eating pizza and Pasta???

You know that you struggle with emotional issues of confidence & esteem that comes with being fat. But you may not know that you could be what are called as an avoider. This is due to the turmoil that comes with public & private dislike for obesity and you avoid confronting your situation at because of the fear of not being able to bet it.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Here is how an avoider thinks – once you deviate even slightly from a diet or healthy eating you figure you might as we drop the whole thing – this stars a cycle that avoider can’t find a way out of – We are fat we try to lose weight we deviate just a little we feel rejection for the perceived failure we isolate ourselves from people we stop talking about it, we stop the diet we eat a pound of candy – we get fat then we try to lose weight and the cycle continues

<o:p></o:p>

Instead of avoiding bad foods avoider tend to want to avoid other things like the people who want to help them and the disciplene of trying to eat healthy. Avoiders try to separate themselves from these 2 strong emotion associated with dieting.

I think you really need to get the gerds under control and go back to the doc if the nextium isn't working - it seems like they have looked to see if you have slipped and you haven't

You need to rethink your food choices and remember that you need to take small bite and to eat slowy.

Remember the deterimantion that you had when you first got banded - since you did have success those 1st few months...

Are you able to exercise - talk a walk in the evens after work or if you can in the morning before work.

The band only does 25% of the work and the other 75% is up to you by making good food choices and exercising - this isn't a diet but a lifestyle change

You can do this - you have proven this but you just gotta get that motitvation back - remember why you were banded in the 1st place - you know how much better you felt when you lost 76 lbs - I know that you want this otherwise you wouldn't have gotten banded in the 1st place - Do some soul searching and quit playing thoses little mind games that we all play with ourselves.

Good Luck...

Hi Blueguy,

Having this band is a lot of work isn't it? You and I both thought we had found the miracle to lose weight, but in actuality, they didn't band our brains, they only banded our stomas. My understanding is that when you hit the sweet spot with your fills, you will not want to eat as much and you will continue to lose weight. Neither you or I are at that point, so we have to wrap our brains around the fact that until then we have to make better food choices and listen to our body.

First we shouldn't eat until we get that full feeling. I like the full feeling, so I have to make myself stop before I get to that point. Remember the bandster portions are 3 to 4 oz meat, 4 T vegtables, 4 T starch or leave out the starch and eat more veggies. Basically it's 3-2-2 or 4-2-2 oz. Or 1 cup to cup and half.

Celery is very fibrous, it's harder to eat raw veggies, much better cooked in Soups. Sometimes if I'm still hungry I'll eat salad, it's not high in nutritional value but it does help fill me up. So normally I leave the salad for last, because I want to eat my bandster portion first.

I love pizza too, and I know it's not the best choice of foods, but I don't deny myself foods I love, I just try to be smarter in how I prepare them or order the pizza. If I order I get the thin crust and eat two slices and not eat the end crust. When I prepare pizza at home I use low fat cheese, eat the toppings and limit myself to two slice. When I go out, I don't eat the crust and only the toppings.

As for the reflux, you need to stay on soup/mushies for a few days and work up to solids. The PB episodes are from eating to fast, to big of bites and overeating. I began PB'ing last night on to many almonds. tuna makes me PB so I have to make sure it's got enough mayo and I eat it slow.

One more recommendation, then I'm off to work. Change your bread to WASA during the day for sandwiches or as a snack with low fat cream cheese. You'll find them with the specialty crackers in your grocer. I like the cripy light and whole wheat.

Eat smarter, go in for regular fills if you get hungry within 4 hrs of meals and are not losing 1-2 lbs a month. The band is your tool and you have to tweek it to get to that sweet spot. If you mess up one day, don't look back, step forward and make better choices the next day. Good luck in your journey.

Thanks for all your replies and advice. Just to clarify, I got my 4th fill and not my first after 9 months. I started making poor food choices again after the problems I was having after my fourth fill. I was frustrated, aggravated and usually real hungry. I didn't feel my doctor was really listening to me when I tried explaining my situation at each of my first four fills. So I gave up and said to hell with it. It wasn't until about August that my PCP convinced me I needed to go back and try again.

One thing different I'm reading from some of you is eating soup/mushies. My doctor and nutritionist both told me it wasn't a good idea to eat food like Soup, yogurt, Protein drinks etc. because it would pass through the pouch too quickly and I would get hungry faster and wind up eating more and sooner. So I have been avoiding those types of food as much as possible.

Hi again Blue Guy,

Your doctor is absolutely correct about the soft food and Protein drink. I recommended it because I thought you might have inflammation of the espophagus or stomach irritation. Definitely not a long term solution, just 1-2 days. It sounds like you're getting good advise from your medical professionals.