Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much am I supposed to be eating? I feel like I'm doing too well and it's making me stress that my sleeve won't work for me :( I can drink and eat fine. I'm only 6 days post and I can finish a bowl of puree Soup no probs. Is this normal?? I feel like I should be more full? Should I limit what I eat? Today I had 50g custard, one wheet bix with skim milk and about 400ml of vegetable soup with Protein stuff in it. Is this bad!?! Am I eating too much?? Please don't tell me to ask my doctor or dietician because they're useless. Only interested in making money and no proper patient care.

If your puree is thin enough to sip through a straw, then it's more like a Fluid, so that's why you can drink so much. Fluids just kinda go right through. Not a bad idea to limit it to 4oz (1/2cup or 120ml) at a meal though, to get used to the reduced quantities that will be coming with thicker foods later.

You don't have to limit your fluids, but purees are supposed to mimic meals.

At 1 week out, I was able to finish a 20 oz broth without problems. I was not allowed to try purees until this week (week 3), so I cannot offer much guidance on that. I will say that I can only consume 3-4 ounces of purees now depending on the thickness of the puree.

I am glad that you can handle these foods so early, but It will be a toss-up until you get to the full puree stage, because all Soups, pureed or not have different consistencies. 20 ounces of vegetable Soup pureed might be nothing compared to 10 ounces of a thicker vegetable soup pureed if that makes sense.

When you get to eating pureed mashed potatoes, grits, veggies, cottage cheese, I would weigh these at first. If you can easily eat over 4 ounces without feeling some discomfort, then I would try to get used to stopping at about that amount. You should never get full. Stop once you are satiated. If you feel full, you've probably eaten too much.

Good luck on your journey, and keep us posted.

10 hours ago, Supernovae said:

How much am I supposed to be eating? I feel like I'm doing too well and it's making me stress that my sleeve won't work for me :( I can drink and eat fine. I'm only 6 days post and I can finish a bowl of puree Soup no probs. Is this normal?? I feel like I should be more full? Should I limit what I eat? Today I had 50g custard, one wheet bix with skim milk and about 400ml of vegetable Soup with Protein stuff in it. Is this bad!?! Am I eating too much?? Please don't tell me to ask my doctor or dietician because they're useless. Only interested in making money and no proper patient care.

omg I thought I was alone in this one. I can eat 4oz of pureed no problem and the same with cream Soups strained. i was able to have an entire can of Campbells with one can of fairlife skim milk to thin it out. i was quite full and probably wouldnt do it again. yesterday I was able to eat a single serve oikos yogurt. it was the first time i actually felt a normal comfortable full. But today I had 2.6 oz of a tuna packet and 2oz of hummus went down well tasted good but 10 min later it was at my throat. i was very uncomfortable. took longer to get relief than it it took to eat it. Im so confused

4 ounces of tuna and hummus is WAY too much for 2 weeks postop. The thicker the food, the less it takes to fill us up. Start weighing out an ounce or two, and don't eat more than that. Go slow, and err on the side of eating too little.

17 minutes ago, Berry78 said:

4 ounces of tuna and hummus is WAY too much for 2 weeks postop. The thicker the food, the less it takes to fill us up. Start weighing out an ounce or two, and don't eat more than that. Go slow, and err on the side of eating too little.

yeah I think I ate it too fast also. I probably wouldnt have eaten that much if I would have gone slow

I allowed all purees straight away. That includes meat pureed. I just prefer my vetagbles and not a big meat eater. I have found yoghurt to be very filling though and can't get much of that in. Maybe about 80g. I guess it's not bad to be basically drinking Soup. Gets in nutrients and my Water [emoji14]

Sent from my LG-H850 using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm completely in awe and jealous! I don't get to start purées until week 5!!! 2.5 weeks to go. So tired of broth 🤢

Band to SIPS/SA-DI/LOOP DS 8.8.17
HT: 5'6ish HW: 242 SW: 226 CW: 208 GW: Healthy

Yeah, soon as I woke up on day 2 I was given yoghurt, custard and creamy Soups. Ive had no problem and everyone else who had surgery there also are fine having all that. Not sure why so manly people are on broth for so long. Must be torture! I'm also allowed wheetbix and scrambled eggs already. I'm 7 days post op and feel fine. No nausea, no pain, no gas, never threw up, hydrated.... Seems too good to be true?? My incisions are a little itchy and I get tired if I walk around too much, but other than that, all good [emoji14]

I'm also down about 8 pounds since surgery so seems okay to me to have those foods?

If it's on your plan and working for you, then it's ok.

We don't lose weight because of broth (and broth isn't on the plan for weight loss purposes). We lose weight because of 2 reasons. A surgically-induced lower set-point, and reduced calories.

The clear liquid phase is in place to make sure the patient is consuming enough liquids to stay hydrated. Many people would get so full on heavier foods, that they wouldn't get their Fluid in (the swelling during the first 2-3 weeks is pretty significant). Plus, liquids create the least strain on the staple line, and that is important until that wound can heal over (between 6 and 9 weeks).

Every patient is different. Some can tolerate purees right away, some would have trouble. Luck of the draw, I think ;) The main thing is we are all super careful for the first 2 months, because overdoing it could become a life and death situation.

If it's on your plan and working for you, then it's ok.
We don't lose weight because of broth (and broth isn't on the plan for weight loss purposes). We lose weight because of 2 reasons. A surgically-induced lower set-point, and reduced calories.
The clear liquid phase is in place to make sure the patient is consuming enough liquids to stay hydrated. Many people would get so full on heavier foods, that they wouldn't get their Fluid in (the swelling during the first 2-3 weeks is pretty significant). Plus, liquids create the least strain on the staple line, and that is important until that wound can heal over (between 6 and 9 weeks).
Every patient is different. Some can tolerate purees right away, some would have trouble. Luck of the draw, I think [emoji6] The main thing is we are all super careful for the first 2 months, because overdoing it could become a life and death situation.

Yes definitely. I think I'm just very lucky to be able to tolerate it. I Water down my Soups so they are easier for my new stomach because I don't want to put to much strain on it. I know that the broths aren't for weight loss, but wow I'd be going crazy on just that! Good for habit forming though I can imagine

it has been almost 6 weeks since my surgery. still in puree.. is normal to eat around 4 oz of food.. i try to have a spoon here and there all day long. Lost 35 lbs in 3 weeks but the last week.. nothing.. actually gained 2 lbs..and stayed without losing for 2 weeks .This weekend i started to lose more. 4 lbs in 4 days.. dont worry... eat slow, the right amount and you will lose the weight