Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Extreme tearing pain in abdomen post op

Me too and have been told the same. Hurts like hell, especially walking but hopefully will pass soon, was told to wear compression pants as it might help and rest a bit.

@Sclark8756, I am sorry you are going through this, but thank you for posting it. Your description and some of the comments in response have been a comfort to me over the last few days. I had my VSG surgery 8/15, so only 10 days out, but genuinely think I might be experiencing the same thing, and hoping it resolves for both of us soon.

For me, I had a great post-op time in the hospital, walking laps around the unit a couple of different times the day of surgery, shifting from Water to Crystal Light easily, and to shakes the next morning. I was sleepy/groggy, but surprisingly ok. Once I was off the IV pain meds, I was more sore all around, with lots of wincing, but was committed to giving it time and rest. As the days have passed, the gas is gone, my drinking Protein and the authorized puree/soft foods has become routine, and my incisions have healed a lot. Basically everything has gotten much better except the incision to the left of my belly button, the one they said was the most manipulated as it was where they removed the cut away section of stomach from. The pain from that hurts when I move in almost any way and sometimes just when touched the wrong way by fabric, just as much and just as intensely as the first day. It isn't a dull ache like the others, but a sharp shooting pain that ranges from 6 out of 10 to "dizzying, I might faint." Wearing a binder helps while I am wearing it, but after it is off, it is much worse for a while, almost electric intense doing anything other than sitting reclined or lying down still. The narcotic pain medicine takes an edge off, but given my family history, I am uncomfortable taking it other than for sleep this far out until I see the nurse/doctor again.

I hadn't thought of the potential of nerve pain/temporary nerve damage at the incision site until I read this thread. I was struggling with dealing with it exactly because it felt so much more intense than any muscle/cut healing pain I have had before. (My general pain tolerance is very high, getting me smoothly through two natural childbirths and freaking my dentist out altogether.) Reading your experience, and the tidbits related by @Sullie06,@cwhit, and @Jeaniered too, it helps me understand what it might be better, and therefore cope with it more.

I also decided I can't wait until my scheduled post op appointment with the surgeon on Thursday to get more reassurance. I called and scheduled an interim appointment with one of the bariatric nurses on Monday. She will examine the healing of the incisions in person and be able to pull in the surgeon if there is any chance I need anything more beyond patience.

Thank you again for your post. You are not alone and you helped me directly already. I hope we hear good news from you soon.

@SpindleCity. Thank you for your response. I'm so sorry for your pain, but at the same time I am relieve to know I am not alone. Please let me know what they tell you at your visit. I do not wish to rely on pain meds either so anything else that can bring relief at this point I would love to hear. Your story sounds the exact same as mine. I will be waiting. Thank you again.

Hello ... I wanted to report back. I am personally doing a lot better than last Thursday/Friday. Since it has been going on so long for you, @Sclark8756, I am not presuming it is better for you, but I really hope it might have eased a little. On my end, Friday was the first day I got in significant walking after surgery (about 7500 steps, according to my fitbit). I also did hot compresses on and off for a couple of hours before bed. On Saturday, I felt stunningly better, to nerve shooting pain gone. Then, after rolling onto my side for a nap, it returned, but not as strongly. Sunday was also relatively good, with it only sparking when I tried to bend or twist.

But, yesterday, Monday, was my first day back at work and it was much worse by the end of the day. I think, for me, it is just going to be part of my healing, whether caused by nerves impacted by the stitches or just how things are healing where they did the most manipulation. I put off the appointment with the bariatric nurse, because I was genuinely feeling much better Monday morning, but I did see the dietician today (cleared for Stage 4 foods!), and will see the surgeon toward the end of the week.

Good luck finding relief of your own, and keep us posted if there are developments.

I'm still getting sharp pain in left side, it comes and goes, worse in morning or if I sit too long. It feels like I have a big gaping hole in the side of my stomach and I want to press my hand against to get some relief. Pain killers helping. But guess it's just one of thos things that will go with time. Otherwise I'm doing good. On soft foods now and have managed to increase fluids which I think was causing a stall. I've now managed to lose another 3 pounds. Down from 304 pre op to 271.

6 hours ago, SpindleCity said:

Hello ... I wanted to report back. I am personally doing a lot better than last Thursday/Friday. Since it has been going on so long for you, @Sclark8756, I am not presuming it is better for you, but I really hope it might have eased a little. On my end, Friday was the first day I got in significant walking after surgery (about 7500 steps, according to my fitbit). I also did hot compresses on and off for a couple of hours before bed. On Saturday, I felt stunningly better, to nerve shooting pain gone. Then, after rolling onto my side for a nap, it returned, but not as strongly. Sunday was also relatively good, with it only sparking when I tried to bend or twist.

But, yesterday, Monday, was my first day back at work and it was much worse by the end of the day. I think, for me, it is just going to be part of my healing, whether caused by nerves impacted by the stitches or just how things are healing where they did the most manipulation. I put off the appointment with the bariatric nurse, because I was genuinely feeling much better Monday morning, but I did see the dietician today (cleared for Stage 4 foods!), and will see the surgeon toward the end of the week.

Good luck finding relief of your own, and keep us posted if there are developments.

You sound exactly like me. I am 5 weeks out now and since I have not been doing much other than increasing my walking a little at a time I do feel better. I feel that there was some nerve damage along with pulling of scar tissue in my lower abdomen that contributed to this. I too was in pain sleeping on my sides but I can now with no problem.

I can have solid foods now. Just no salads or raw fruits and vegetables. I experiment with new flavors since the portions are so small but I feel like I'm in a new world. Weight loss is slow but I'm good with that. I find when i drink more plain Water is when i see the most difference in weight loss. Good luck to You! 😊

2 hours ago, Jeaniered said:

I'm still getting sharp pain in left side, it comes and goes, worse in morning or if I sit too long. It feels like I have a big gaping hole in the side of my stomach and I want to press my hand against to get some relief. Pain killers helping. But guess it's just one of thos things that will go with time. Otherwise I'm doing good. On soft foods now and have managed to increase fluids which I think was causing a stall. I've now managed to lose another 3 pounds. Down from 304 pre op to 271.

Good for you on the weight loss!! Stay hydrated! My dietician said that is the key focus a month post op. I believe everyone thinks the weight loss is immediate but if you drop 2 or 3lbs a week consistently....wow!! And you can live in this new you forever!!! Can you tell I'm excited now? 😊 good luck!!

Update....

Finally relief! After 5 weeks of not being patient and searching for relief, the pain has eased off. I feel so much better. Thank you all who responded to my rants and encouraged me. Wishing all of you success!!!