Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Emotional reaction

Hi All,

I am 4 days post surgery and have started on sloppy foods such as Soups and mousse/custard etc. On my way home from hospital I stocked up on everything I'd need. There were 11 low fat chocolate mousses in the fridge and today I planned some Soup and one mousse for my lunch.

When I opened the fridge there were none left (thanks mainly to my 13 year old daughter). Well I completely freaked out, burst into tears and accused her and my family of not caring about me and not supporting me. Is this emotional outburst normal, was it justified, or did I totally over-react about a stupid pudding?

Still feel upset about it now

It's very normal. You just made a huge life changing decision, had surgery, and now there is no going back. You might get really emotional for the silliest of reasons. Tears for no reason at all. It's all normal.

The first month is what most seem to find the hardest. On a traditional diet you can cheat, binge, whatever. Now you CAN'T. Large quantities of food are not possible. It's a much bigger adjustment than most realize.

Also, the first month I'll bet a cyber dollar you even consider having the band removed. One moment you'll think, "OMG, what in heaven's name did I do to myself? A BAND around my stomach? What was I thinking?" Then the very next moment you'll be thrilled you finally got it done. Just know, it's all normal and those feelings will go away.

Hang in there, things will be better. And give your daughter a hug, tell her your sorry, and send her to the store for more S/F pudding. :Banane10:

Thanks WASaBubbleButt, that's reassuring. I feel like I'm going mad, but I am so glad to have my band, although I don't have much restriction yet (unfilled in surgery). I've calmed down a bit now and realised that losing a chocolate mousse is not the end of the world!

:tea:Sounds normal to me. I think this is all easier for me because i am divorced and living alone. I don`t have to cook for anyone and no one eats my stuff. I am sure i would be a bear if someone did. Maybe you can make a shelf off limits to everyone else. Hug your daughter. Hugs for you!! Donna

Thanks WASaBubbleButt, that's reassuring. I feel like I'm going mad, but I am so glad to have my band, although I don't have much restriction yet (unfilled in surgery). I've calmed down a bit now and realised that losing a chocolate mousse is not the end of the world!

Yep, feeling like you are going mad is the first stage of post op. :Banane10: It gets worse. :Banane10: Sorry, but it does. But it will pass and you'll be telling some newbie in a few short weeks that what THEY are going through is normal and to be expected.

I think the feeling of "going mad" is part of the initiation to bandland. HA!

Just think, hard as all this is it will be soooooo worth it! You'll lose weight, feel better, your self esteem will increase, life will be even better than it already is!

I think there's also the idea that the rest of your family can have anything they want and you can only eat these special foods and they want those, too! I've had that happen to me without a band! For as long as I've been dieting (my entire adult life!) I've bought special foods such as fat-free Wheat Thins or ice cream or pudding and THOSE are the foods my family wants!

Anyway, even if the outburst was justified, I know you're sorry about it. I think it would be a good idea to sit down with your family and tell them exactly what you would like in the way of support. Sometimes we think it's obvious but it isn't. They do love you and want to help so tell them what will help. And leave it open that more things might come up, since we can't always anticipate what we need.

Anyone who cares enough to ask the question, "Did I overreact?", is a good and caring person. Good luck!

I don't think you over-reacted at all. Your family has a the ability to eat what ever they want to. I think it was very insensitive for them to eat your food. pudding is yummy, but your family has to show some self control. I have a 10 year old daughter and a husband,and a fridge full of yogurt and pudding and they have not touched the stuff. I did not have to explain to them that this was "mine", or put it on a "special" shelf. They understand that this is all I can eat. I offer my daughter pudding and she will graciously take it, but she will not help her self.

So yes, I would have been so angry. I think it is your family that should be giving you the "hugs". Remember this is your time to recover and heal. Your family needs to get with the program.

I'd go nuts too not becuase I wanted the mousse but because I'm sick to death of my kids eating everything in the house almost before its out of the shopping bags and into the fridge.! I'm always screaming about who's eaten ALL the food!

But no, you're not crazy. Its very common to get quite teary and emotional after any general anaesthetic, let alone such a life changing operation.

I didn't get emotional post-op, I was too damn excited! For the first time in my life, I didn't WANT TO EAT.. after those 3 weeks, I was back to my whiney self though :)

I would have been upset if someone ate all my mousse! But like someone mentioned, I'd have sent her to go get more that very minute tee hee.

Just keep on chugging along, there are 'bad days' and 'good days', and it's all a learning experience.

ok well i had my surgery on aug 29th.. i am an emotional train wreck.. i swear i feel like im going to go crazy.. physically im doing great.. i cant complain about that..

but since the band emotionally well i have felt like shit.. im on anti depressents and they work some what.. but since surgery i feel like i need to be alone.. no family no boyfriend nothing... i dont know.. maybe im going crazy

OHH I had a total melt down about a week or so after surgery . Around the time I really started to get hungry . I when i could have creamy type Soups. I wanted cream of potatoe Soup , only problem was it tasted like CRAP when i finally ate it . Then i wanted Popsicles , tasted TOO Sweet , then tea , tasted like coffee grounds. NOTHING tasted right . I lost it . My poor husband didnt know what to do . EXCEPT he made the GRAVE Mistake of saying 2 things wrong, he told me " Well you knew what you were getting into honey " and I forgot how he worded it but he stopped short of saying basically " You did this to yourself" OMG I almost killed him :whoo::) !!! I think your reaction is normal. My kids still eat my "Stuff" I label my stuff now . lol

After a few break downs they stop I PROMISE LOL

What your feeling is normal and it will pass..

Love

mindy

I am having an emotional breakdown 15 days before surgery! I have two sons and they eat what ever is in the house to eat. I am tryingto stay on pre surgery diet (day 1 and made it~ one day at a time). But of course the Protein Drink for tomorrow is gone!

I have to remind myself they are just mindless of certain things and it is not personal! Hang in there and hugs!:)

OHH I had a total melt down about a week or so after surgery . Around the time I really started to get hungry . I when i could have creamy type Soups. I wanted cream of potatoe Soup , only problem was it tasted like CRAP when i finally ate it . Then i wanted Popsicles , tasted TOO Sweet , then tea , tasted like coffee grounds. NOTHING tasted right . I lost it . My poor husband didnt know what to do . EXCEPT he made the GRAVE Mistake of saying 2 things wrong, he told me " Well you knew what you were getting into honey " and I forgot how he worded it but he stopped short of saying basically " You did this to yourself" OMG I almost killed him :whoo::) !!! I think your reaction is normal. My kids still eat my "Stuff" I label my stuff now . lol

After a few break downs they stop I PROMISE LOL

What your feeling is normal and it will pass..

Love

mindy

Lol, you're not pregnant are you? I was EXACTLY like that.

Lol, you're not pregnant are you? I was EXACTLY like that.

ROFLMAO BITE YOUR BAND LADY !!!!!

I made sure he was snipped BEFORE I HAD SURGERY !

I told my husband " I may have THOUGHT I knew what i was getting into but its different once it happens to you , Just like you might THINK you know how bad it will hurt you when i knock the sh*t out of you but you dont KNOW until I DO IT " LMAO

Mindy