Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else have leg cramps?

I am 3 days post-op and my calves have started cramping really bad, especially the left one. They feel like they are going to go into charlie horses. I am sure it is not DVT because there is no redness, warmth, or swelling, but this cramping sensation is getting worse and worse (just since today really). I know cramping can be caused by dehydration and low potassium. I have been getting all my Fluid in, but I am sure I am low on potassium, but aren't we all if we follow the clear liquid diet? Anyone else experience this? Walking does seem to help, but I am already walking about a mile a day....what else can I do??

:help:

Jenne

I am 3 days post-op and my calves have started cramping really bad, especially the left one. They feel like they are going to go into charlie horses. I am sure it is not DVT because there is no redness, warmth, or swelling, but this cramping sensation is getting worse and worse (just since today really). I know cramping can be caused by dehydration and low potassium. I have been getting all my Fluid in, but I am sure I am low on potassium, but aren't we all if we follow the clear liquid diet? Anyone else experience this? Walking does seem to help, but I am already walking about a mile a day....what else can I do??

Jenne

My Dr told me any cramping in my calfs was reason to call. Can be an indication of clots

Jenne

It is also a sign of dehydration. Make sure you are getting your Water in and liquid Vitamins (if your doc said to take them). If it is dehydration, you will be able to tell by the color of your urine. If your urine isn't clear - if it is at all yellow, then you need more Water. Hope that helps.

Amy

Yeah, I've decided it's dehydration because last night it moved to both legs and this morning it is mainly in the right now. Plus, my urine was really dark this morning. But I have been getting the liquids in as the doctor prescribed. No liquid Vitamin though. I physically can't drink any more than the 64 ounces or so that I already am. :Banane10: Oh well, I have been trying to just constantly sip Water and it seems to be a little better. Thanks!

Yeah, I've decided it's dehydration because last night it moved to both legs and this morning it is mainly in the right now. Plus, my urine was really dark this morning. But I have been getting the liquids in as the doctor prescribed. No liquid Vitamin though. I physically can't drink any more than the 64 ounces or so that I already am. :eek: Oh well, I have been trying to just constantly sip Water and it seems to be a little better. Thanks!

getting all that Water in is what worries me too... I have never in my life drank so much water in one day. I have my bottles color coated with crystal light mixed in so I know what color I have to have drank by bed time... I am already 2 bottles behind today.

if I wasn't so darn tired.... auggggg....

No, I didn't sleep well last night at all...

But anyways - glad that you are sucking it down slowly and hope it will subside soon. Keep the faith!

Amy

Thanks Amy! I have tried to do better with Water, juice and broth today - but my tummy gets SO full SO quick! At least we don't have hunger pangs to worry about yet....thank goodness! Thanks for your responses about my calf pain - it's hard not be worried about clots, but I walk ALOT. If I'm still having the pains tomorrow, I'm going to call my Dr. just in case.

How are you otherwise? Still having incisional pain? Mine is much better today. I took my first shower today, it felt so good, but I was exhausted afterwards. Plus we went to Petsmart right after so when I got home, I crashed for a loooong nap.

Take care!!

Jenne

I had horrible foot cramps this weekend (I was banded on 10/9) and low potassium is one possible reason along with dehydration. I mashed a fresh banana to mush and ate it for Breakfast (bananas are very good for potassium) and baked a potato and scooped out the middle and mushed it with some chicken broth for lunch (Potatoes are also good for potassium). In between, I sipped alot of Water. So far, no more foot cramps. Hope this helps someone.