Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just returned from Mexico

I was banded Tuesday night (48 hours tonight). I have moved most of the gas. The pills they gave me for pain were not efficient. I broke up a darvocette when I got home and it has helped. I am walking.

I am unclear about what to take by mouth. Their diet said yougert and milk, but that is not Clear liquids.

I have been drinking chicken broth, tea, juice and Water. My stomach growls and wants more, but I know it needs to heal.

How long did you stay on "clear liquids"?

I feel tired too.

I never was on clear liquids. I was on liquids (not necessarily clear) for two weeks and mushies for two weeks. I would think if they told you that you could eat yogurt, they do not want you on clear liquids?

Nancy

Welcome Home,

I was on liquids for 2 weeks, mushies for 2 weeks and then there were 2 weeks of pureed.

I just watered everything down the first 2 either with milk or Water and of course the Jello did the trick.

Well, my surgeon was pretty strict. I was on clear liquids for jsut about a week, until my followup appt to release me to go back to work and then he had me on liquids for an additional 5 weeks, then straight to regular foods. I could have Crystal lite, broth, some cream Soups, Jello, etc. I only made itabout 4 weeks before I started adding some more substantial things but I certainly got creative. I would take black Beans, ham, spices and chicken broth and make my own Soup with melted cheese on top. But in the end it was worth it as I not only lost nearly 25 # during that time but I really felt as though my body was cleansed of all the diet coke and junk food I had been feeding it for so long.

Did you Dr. give you a specific diet or timeline to follow? I know that alot of people on the board were only on the liquids for a week or two before moving to mushies and then real food once they had their fill. I think it just depends on the Dr. and the individual person.

Good Luck and welcome to bandland!!!

Did you guys feel depressed at first? I feel very depressed and am second guessing myself.

What did you use for pain management?

Depression is a common side-effect of anesthesia, so don't worry, you'll get over it!

I'm with you - the Mexican pain-killers did NADA for me. I just lay like a lump on the couch whenever I wasn't working and tried not to move. After two weeks I was a new woman... lol Hang in there! It DOES get better. Just don't try to do too much too soon. And if you're a singer, I recommend waiting AT LEAST four weeks before doing any singing. The diaphragm sits right on top of the band, and that deep breathing is murder if you do it too soon... :)

Try liquid Tylenol - that really helped my pain level when I tore my port sutures.

I used liquid Tylenol with codeine and then plain liquid Tylenol. A heating pad helps sometimes.

I was tired to the point of feeling depressed for a good 2 weeks, maybe longer. It passes into euphoria. :)

I was on Clear Liquids for 5 days, then creamy liquids for another 9 days and then mushies for a week. By week 4, I was eating solid foods. Yes, it is normal to feel a little down after surgery. I think it was about three weeks before I felt that I had made a good decision and I was starving until I got my first fill at 6 weeks out. Hang in there. It will get better.!

Babs in TX

334/187/170

6/23/03

I was on FULL liquids (meaning anything that can go through a straw) for a week after surgery. Then mushies for a week, then on to solids. I had to do clear liquids for 10 days BEFORE surgery!

I got spoiled on my Tylenol with Codeine and wasn't too happy when that ran out on day 3 so I tried just regular liquid Tylenol and that helped a little but honestly, the best medicine for me was just getting up and out. Even if it was just shopping, window shopping at that. It helped me keep my mind off of things as well as helped my body bounce back. But even still after 2 weeks at home, I fell apart my first day of work and didn't even think I'd make it to 5!

Depression is definately a part of it, at least it was for me and I had my moments of completely regretting it, wanting to head to the first drive-thru and gorge myself. I was totally feeling sorry for myself as I sat around watching tv being tortured by popcorn and fast food commercials. But that's why getting out and about is good too as it gives you less opportunity to sit around feeling sorry for yourself.

You'll bounce back soon Alice and use this board and your fellow bandsters for support as we have all been there and can understand how you feel. Soon enough you will have forgotten the pain and the depression and be basking in your weightloss and rejoicing the new you!

Guest Kathy of Hemet

Hi,

Try the Isopure clear liquid Protein drink. Sometimes I would Water it down. That was one of the most filling of the clear liquids next to Jello or popcicles that you can have. What is good about the Isopure is the Protein content really helps you heal faster. I was on that for a week, then 2 weeks of creamy liquids, then 4 days of mushy, 3 days of real before my next appointment with my dr in TJ.

When I was on creamies, I used the "Soup at hand" cream of chicken, etc., plus when I would go to a restaurant I would have them puree any Soups (and not one refused me!)... I did have to give them an explanation of recent abdominal surgery and then they bent over backwards to assist me. I would also have the regular isopure Protein Drink with milk and sometimes fruit pureed. (This was the most difficult time for me as you are like neither "kith nor kin.") The mushies was great. Mashed potatoes, ground beef gravy, smashed refried Beans... anything you can mash up like you would for a toddler works. So if you can mash it, you can eat it! whoo hoo!

Hope this helps.

Kathy of Hemet

7/29/04 Dr R Vargas Q.

250/192/135

One of the things that helped me wth most with the pain was sleeping in my recliner for a couple of nights.