Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reaction to my whey powder? Best other protein?

I'm three weeks out. My main Proteins are grass fed organic whey powder (no sugar no flavor) mixed with milk or Water. Two days ago I started getting a dizzy nausea bad vision shaky feeling after just having a hand ful of sips of my Protein Drink. Been drinking it exactly the same two or three times a day since just after surgery so this reaction is new. I tested the milk, didn't give me that feeling. Tested the Protein Powder in water, yesterday, and got that same low blood sugar kind of reaction. Very unpleasant and started to give me the start of a Migraine.

anyone had this reaction to whey? Also why so out of the blue?

AND HOW DO I GET ENOUGH Protein?

I have some nasty tasting pea protein, can try it.

i also drink Bone Broth and 1 c has 9 g but I can't drink it all day. I also can eat the Greek yogurt, and mix it in vegetable juice. But not in quantity. I have also tried refried Beans with success, but I am talking 1 oz at a time. I can't eat much soft food yet.

Thanks for any help anyone has. I am going to try and drink Bone Broth today but even with some yogurt I won't make 60g

any other plain Protein powders that don't taste horrible? Anyone else ever get these almost allergic reactions to whey? I'm not allergic to dairy.

Yeah, stay away from anything that makes you feel that bad.

I couldn't hack the taste of Protein Shakes or powders, so I relied on milk and broth until I could puree tuna. 8 cups of milk and/or broth will get you your Protein for the day. (It counts as Fluid too, so you don't need much water).

It sounds like a lot, but it's only 4 pint jars for all day. Just keep on sipping.

16oz of this has 40g Protein. It is made with whey protein, but since it's cultured you may have better luck with it (I did).

Keep in mind 2oz greek yogurt or cottage cheese = 1 cup of milk or broth.

Since you are 3 weeks out, it won't be long before you've moved from liquids to food. Exciting times!

download.jpg

Thank you both so much! I'm relying on the Greek yogurt and the broth. I feel I need a more concentrated source though. LOVE the idea of the Lifeway Protein Kefir. I love kefir! Drinking some today. But the protein version doesn't come without sugary ingredients and fruits. I just want plain.

maybe I should replace all my Water with broth and watery yogurt or milk.

i can't imagine blended tuna.

I did try other protein powders. Ugh. Bought plain and vanilla Paleo Pro beef and egg protein powder, couldn't choke it down. Same with pea and hemp. Nope.

our nutritionist said whey protein would be for our whole lives to get enough concentrated protein in once a day. sigh.

Thanks so much.

I use vega plant based Protein. Whey tends to upset my stomach but I can handle core power and premier as RTD shakes when I'm lazy.

On 8/15/2017 at 6:17 PM, GotProlactinoma said:

our nutritionist said whey Protein would be for our whole lives to get enough concentrated protein in once a day. sigh.

Thanks so much.

Absolutely not true. I haven't had protein powder since trying it those first couple weeks postop (and trying it one more time 3 months post). My protein goal is 70g and I always get at least 65g.

Blended tuna salad was actually good after all the milk and broth. I only had it a couple times since I preferred greek yogurt and cottage cheese..fewer dishes to wash! Lol!

The sugar in the kefir IS a trade off. It'll knock you out of ketosis, but that kefir really will help you meet those protein goals.

You don't have to be in ketosis to lose weight.

Remember, the liquid diet isn't forever. Once you move to solids you can always go back onto a Keto diet if you want.

To me, those first two months are about healing, not weight loss, so I did what I had to to support that healing (i.e. meeting goals). And even with that outlook, I lost 30lbs the first 2 months.

6 hours ago, Berry78 said:

Absolutely not true. I haven't had Protein Powder since trying it those first couple weeks postop (and trying it one more time 3 months post). My Protein goal is 70g and I always get at least 65g.

Blended tuna salad was actually good after all the milk and broth. I only had it a couple times since I preferred greek yogurt and cottage cheese..fewer dishes to wash! Lol!

The sugar in the kefir IS a trade off. It'll knock you out of ketosis, but that kefir really will help you meet those protein goals.

You don't have to be in ketosis to lose weight.

Remember, the liquid diet isn't forever. Once you move to solids you can always go back onto a Keto diet if you want.

To me, those first two months are about healing, not weight loss, so I did what I had to to support that healing (i.e. meeting goals). And even with that outlook, I lost 30lbs the first 2 months.

I so appreciate your insight! I'm one month out now. I was just wondering why milk and kefir have so many carbs. And I do wonder if some of the kefir carbs don't count because it's fermented. Somewhere I learned that fermented foods, the carbs are less because they were used for the bacteria...

i cant tolerate cottage cheese. It has something in it that triggers Migraines, maybe the carrageenan? But I am getting good use of the Greek yogurt too.

i still have whey protein powder every day even if I react a little to it because I just need protein that is very dense so I don't need too much quantity.

glad you lost 30 lbs the first two months, me only 8 lbs the first month. It will be slow for me.

I also started out 100lbs heavier than you ;) I lost 17 the first month (30 was the first and second combined).. so not that much difference...

I need to jump on this thread. Because I was going to post something about being lactose intolerant. I am. So for a very long time (years), I have not been able to tolerate milk products. I actually use Rice milk instead of Almond because it has no flavor for cooking etc. I can tolerate MUSCLE MILK. The Pro ones seem to bloat me, but the regular Muscle Milk is fine with me and I actually really really like it. I love the Vanilla Cream. That has 130 cals, 0 sugar and 20 grams Protein per premixed shake box. Muscle Milk has whey isolate protein. Which is more easily tolerated if you have lactose issues. I'm lucky that I can tolerate it. So try that maybe?

I have also tried pea protein, hemp etc. for years. Sometimes I just gag them down. Till I found one that I really like but wonder if the protein, because it's all plant based, is as useful as the whey. I use powdered RAW FIT by Garden of Life. Vegan, dairy free, gluten free, soy free. One scoop has 160 cals, 1 sugar, 28 grams protein. My typical Breakfast for so many years has been 2% greek yogurt (I can tolerate Fage greek yogurt) with a scoop of Marley coffee flavor Raw Fit (YUM YUM!). I mix the powdered raw fit with just a couple tablespoons of Water then add the greek yogurt. Otherwise you really have a hard time stirring it, so thick! I don't mind the bit of gritty left, actually. I imagine if you left the raw fit to sit mixed a bit, the gritty may go away. I never tried it though. The greek yogurt and scoop raw fit is a whopping 48 grams protein. YES it's too much to eat at once when I am sleeved. but even half is 24 grams. Good for soft stage, puree stage. BUT......is the plant and seed based protein as beneficial for your body after sleeve as the whey or whey isolate is? I understand totally the need for protein. I have had Hair loss for 3 years due to menopause and Estrogen Dominance. I need my protein to work for me to try to mitigate the effects of WLS on my body and slim head of hair!

Was wondering if anyone knows the answer about the whey vs plant based. Thanks so much!!!