Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tanning???

So my Dr recommeded I go tanning to help my Vitamin D deficiency- any one else go tanning? is there any recommendation for how long to avoid tanning on your stomach and scars? I heard that it can turn the scars a dark color if you tan too soon after surgery. Thanks:)

don't know about how long after surgery, but I heard you can rub chapstick with SPF on your scars and protect them from the tanning bed.

OK, no moral judgement here, I love having a tan as much as the next person.

But seriously - a doctor advocating tanning? I'm gobsmacked.

Or is it just in Australia that we're terrified of skin cancer? Seriously sunscreen and sunhats is the law in Australian schools. Kids are not allowed outside to play without a hat. The legendary Bronzed Aussie of old has probably lost 2/3 of his ears and half his nose to skin cancer now.

I was told by my fill doc not to tan my scars for at least 1 year. I tan occasionally, and would throw the towel over my tummy. After 1 year, I took off the towel, and just tanned. My scars are BARELY noticable. Cover your tummy and use the tanning cream on your tummy. It's worth the wait!

OK, no moral judgement here, I love having a tan as much as the next person.

But seriously - a doctor advocating tanning? I'm gobsmacked.

Or is it just in Australia that we're terrified of skin cancer? Seriously sunscreen and sunhats is the law in Australian schools. Kids are not allowed outside to play without a hat. The legendary Bronzed Aussie of old has probably lost 2/3 of his ears and half his nose to skin cancer now.

I know-seriously.. I thought the same thing when he told me-I have a serious Vitamin deficiency that I never knew about before-I live in Seattle-lots of gray skies-I went today for 4 min. I am very careful about not burning-apparently the beds with mostly uva is not too damaging-yes, I am sure any exposure carries some risk-I probably will never exceed 7 min at one time-going mainly for the therapy-but a nice base would not hurt..By the way I normally use 50 spf sunscreen during the summer.

I guess its just the lesser of 2 evils.

My DH had a Vit D deficiency, serious tingling and backpain were the symptoms - and major depression. Its not fun.

Its probably why tanning makes you feel so relaxed and good too.

Umm, my inner geek is fighting to get out, and I can't keep it contained. Don't ask why I know this stuff.

You don't need to tan to promote Vitamin D, you just need full spectrum lighting. You can get this from any lightbulb rated "6500K" (Kelvin).

Full spectrum lighting is one treatment used for seasonal affective disorder. Places that see little sunlight for long periods of time have super high suicide rates related to seasonal affective disorder, so to help with this bars, clubs, malls, etc. have started using full spectrum bulbs in their fixtures.

Full spectrum doesn't cost any more, and creates a more natural light anyway. 6500K is the temperature of the light produced by the sun, so a 6500k light source is the closest you will get to natural sunlight. It's sooooo easy on the eyes.

Any big box hardware store will stock 6500K fluorescent bulbs. Most craft stores will lamps with 6500K bulbs because quilters, sewers, etc. find it's easier to work with. Hell, Sam's Club had them in their office supply section last time I looked. Most of the lamp-sized lights will be compact fluorescents (they look like one bulb that has a few rows of tiny fluorescent lights, or the "curly" tube lights). There's a brand called Lights of America, and I believe they are the leading maker of full spectrum lighting solutions for the home. Check and see if you can find products from them.

And tell your doc to quit being a dummy and suggesting that people fake bake when they can slash the UV and use a commonplace, safe & skin-friendly full spectrum lamp instead!

:faint:

I look pale :Banane10: and everyone says that i look pale... i want to tan but i'm afraid of getting wrinkles. lol

Its not worth it. Its soooooooo tempting to look good now, but it seriously will ruin your skin. Fake it. These days there are such good fake tans.

Ironically the only reason I like to be brown is to cover up all the sun damage from my youth in the 80's when frying yourself in baby oil was in. The freckles etc just blend in and look good with a tan.

If I had porcelain pale beautiful freckle free skin, I would embrace it, I swear. But I have average of Irish descent Australian skin for a 40 year old which means sun damaged, freckled and beginning to age. I will have suspicious bits cut off me over coming years.

Its just not worth it. When you start to get older you realise that. The sun totally ruins your skin, the best thing you can ever do for your looks is to stay out of it. But most of the damage we do is done before we're 20.