Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lactose Intolerant

Not sure where I should have put this but it is going in this forum. I had my gallbladder out in 2000 and every since then anytime I eat greasy food or food with dairy it causes stomach issues and TMI I end up in the restroom. What do you do for this problem after you get the band if it continues to be a problem...I know that I won't have to worry about greasy foods but dairy is a concern to me....Can I take the lactose pills that come over the counter or will this problem go away.

You don't need to eat any different before the band than after, in terms of lactose. Nothing about the band will require lactose. Even the Protein Drinks people favor with milk - just use soy milk instead.

My question for those that are lactose intolerant......do you notice the problem diminishes after you get the band or do you still have the same amount of trouble when eating anything dairy

Hi, thought I might be able to help you..I got lactose intolerant AFTER the band...(hahah)..anyway,,i have lactose free organic milk, very good!! and for my Protein Shake I have either BeneProtein, (online @ Walgreens.com) or another brand from the Natural food Store that say's "NO LACTOSE". helps a LOT!!

sheila :eek:

Maybe that will make the difference when I switch to completely non fat dairy. I will be banded on the 24th of Oct. I didn't know if the gall bladder had anything to do with me having this issue I just noticed it to be more prevalant after I had it taken out. It is funny that you ask about the Mediterranean area....I had a nutritionist ask me the same thing when I was preg and had to get blood sugar down. I do not have any connection to that area however....funny though

My question for those that are lactose intolerant......do you notice the problem diminishes after you get the band or do you still have the same amount of trouble when eating anything dairy
I've found it to be generally less of a problem, primarily because I'm not eating the amounts or types of foods that I ate pre-band. I may have a piece of cheese or have a little cheese on veggies or in Soup (especially french onion and chili) occasionally, but I'm not eating a whole cheese pizza or an entire platter of garlic cheese bread. Before, I'd just live with the consequences of eating those foods because I loved them and enjoyed eating them. Now, even if I do eat something with dairy in it, it's not as much as I used to eat, and in most cases, not as often.