Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help Needing Feedback - Long

Guest lapband lynn

Guest lapband lynn

I had my surgery in Feb '04 starting at 265 pounds. I followed all my surgeons instructions to a T -- because I can be anal retentive and didn't want to sabbotage myself and don't believe in fooling myself either. Even my wonderful husband was amazed. Lost 30 pounds during the liquid diet portion and only another 10 pounds by May.

Surgeon had my diet diary evaluated by his nutritionist -- she said the only suggestion she could make even though it was nit picky, was to cut out the glass of red wine I had every couple days, because it was a dehydrant. (was drinking 120 oz of Water a day) Said I was taking in between 800 and 1100 calories a day and my diet was very well balanced and much better than she had seen before. For all you skeptics, it was an honest report, and I did account for everything I ate. My husband laughed at me when I put down 2 pieces of red licorice.

Was exercising 90 minutes 6x week with floor routine, bike, and treadmill. (Was an aerobic instructor in my former skinny life -- very athletic) Because my weight loss was so minimal and dissapointing my surgeon suggested and did a fill. Since that time I have lost another 8 pounds, and gained 5 during Oct/Nov.

My problem is after the fill, during most meals, I began to experience spasms when I would take my first couple bites. Often it is very painful, and if I wait it out I can eat ok. Taking small bites, and chewing to mush before swalowing it. I will admit, I can eat more than 4 oz, after the spasm passes, but the portions are still very small compared to pre-surgery and often make people who don't know about the surgery uncomfortable when I push my plate away.

I explained this to my surgeon, and he did an upper GI to check the positioning of the band. He was very proud to tell me it was positioned perfectly due to his outstanding surgcal expertise. Said what I was experienceing could be explained if I had acid reflux -- which I told him I did have before the surgery, and he said it didn't matter now. I asked about the fill, and maybe it was too much to which he said he didn't put enough in to make a difference (which made me wonder why he bothered). Then told me my only hope for ever being able to eat without discomfort was to have the band removed and I should be happy with my 43 pound weight loss. (most of which happened on the liquid diet).

I think I could adjust to the spasms if I was loosing weight -- or deal with the ego of my surgeon if I was loosing -- but at this point he can't answer my questions and is very irritated that I don't just go away -- so I doubt I will go back to him.

Before my surgery I had a good attitude -- no real self esteem problems because of my obesity. Had the surgery to ward off the potential of health problems in the future, and honestly to some degree because I was tired of the remarks I would get from obesity biggots.

Now I get depressed because of the failure -- loss of hope that I will reach my goal -- thought I would be closer to 165 by now -- If I do everything right and it doesn't work, then what? The idea of having a foreign object inside me which doesn't help -- etc.

My internist (family doc I love who doesn't know much about the band) tried acid reflux medication to see if that would help with the spasms and it didn't make any difference. He also suggested I go on message boards or chat rooms and see if I could find out anything since most of what I was finding on the net is generally marketing material for the product and procedures.

Can anyone out there shed some light on this? Or point me in the right direction? Thanks gobs!!!!!

Lynn, search the threads for "esophagitis". Michelle has a very thorough thread about her experience with this. See if this sounds familiar. Hope it helps! P. S. You really have done well on your weight loss! Hope you get better!

Lynn -

The spasms you describe are quite common - I experienced them myself. Try drinking a hot beverage before your meal to help relax things down there, take one bite, and then get up and do something for 5-10 minutes. I found that usually primed me, and I could finish my meal pain free.

Eventually the spasms went away, so having them now doesn't mean you'll have them forever.

If you are as active as you say, your caloric intake is WAAAAY below your basal metabolism - go to www.fitday.com (free) and see what they recommend your minimum caloric intake is for your height and weight and activity level. It is my understanding that you never want to go less calories than your basal metabolism, and you want to eat enough calories that your deficit each day is reasonable.

A gal on another board who was very into this kind of stuff had stopped losing, sounding basically very much like you. Her personal trainer told her she wasn't eating enough, so she took her faith in both hands and decided to be an honest experiment. She increased her calories, and lo and behold, the weight started dropping off again.

I know that 43 pounds does not meet your expectations, but 43 pounds is MUCH better than 0 pounds, or gaining, so big congrats to you. Bear in mind that in order to lose weight permanently, you have to make permanent changes. If your current lifestyle is not liveable for the rest of your life then you are going to have difficulty maintaining your loss. I don't mean to sound depressing, but this is the whole key to NOT dieting - this is "forever" - so whatever you do, remember that this is how it must be always. Be good to yourself, don't deprive yourself, and focus on the healthy permanent changes you are making. I know that losing weight was the number one thing on your mind, but don't lose sight of the fact that the REAL reason you were banded was to maintain your health. It sounds as though you are living a very healthy lifestyle, so you are succeeding!!

If you try upping your caloric intake, please report back and let us know how you fared!

Best wishes -

Guest lapband lynn

Thanks for the kinds words -- and I'll try the ideas you suggested. I have felt so isolated and this helps. I have started taking in more calories since I've gotten discouraged (ie Oct/Nov gain so now I'm trying not to loose any more ground and faired pretty well through the holidays) but will go to the website you suggested and find my target.

There is a medication that Jessie Ahroni uses for spasms -- nifidipine. She has found some success relieving spasms in her patients. (She is a banding nurse practitioner in Washington, banded for 6 years, posts daily at http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/SmartBandsters/?yguid=22243206.)

Before giving up on your band, I'd try another doctor. I know that is easier said than done. I would want to know why all the hard work was not working as well as expected.

I hope you find a new doctor and a way to fix your problem. I'm sorry it has been such a disappointing journey for you so far.

With all the exercise you do, your calorie intake is very low. I too would suggest eating more. You might gain right at first, but as soon as your body realizes you aren't starving it anymore, you will start to lose again. By the way, could you send some of your energy for exercising my way? ;)

Good Luck!