Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just a few questions!

So I am a student and I have been researching the lap band and gastric bypass and I made the decision to do the lap band and I have been back and forth from my doctor but the question I have is if I can get back to school after my surgery. I know its a quick procedure and all that, but is it something i can do on a Christmas break and go back to school? Also what is the expected weight loss per week? the website says 1 - 2 LBS a week but how accurate is that? Also anything else I need to know, let me hear it!

Thank you very much!

Isi Commisso.

Should be no problem at all doing it during Christmas break. Good time to get a jumpstart and avoid all the evil foods of the holidays besides! Most LB people go back to work in 4-5 days, just no heavy lifting for a few weeks. Gas pains seem to be the biggest complaint for a while afterward (from the gas they pump your abdomen up with during the procedure) but I never even had a gas pain. I've often said that I've had haircuts that were more traumatic than my lapband surgery!:cool:

1 or 2 lbs/week is very doable for several months, and then it will slow down a little. I slowed down after about 100 pounds. I'm 18 mo. out and have lost 160 lbs and am still losing about 1/2 lb a week on average.

OK, I did it in my Christmas break, lol, but Christmas is our long holiday here and I get five MONTHS off uni over that time. Because its summer here December January February.

But yes, if you have a week off school - I definitely could have been back to school after a week.

I was banded on a Monday evening and by Thrusday afternoon I went to work--on my feet--for a couple of hours. I was off that weekend and by the next Monday I was pretty back to normal--just a little tired still, but able to function. I too lost about 50 pounds pretty rapidly, but now that has slowed down considerably. I think I may need to eat and exercise a little more.

I hope all goes well for you. What are you going to school for?

I was banded on a Tuesday and back to work full time on Monday. I don't do heavy lifting but I have horses to feed so I did a few flakes at a time and did just fine.

Weight loss in the beginning was about 2 pounds a week but I have not lost much in the past two months...same 5 pounds over and over. We are all different!!

It does seem like Christmas break would be wonderful time to do it though.

isicomisso- Hey, im 19 and a full time student working two part time jobs, take it from me , YOU CAN DO IT IN A WEEK nooooo problem. I took off a thursday friday from, school and work and will be returning monday. Teachers are very understanding too... at least mine were! good luck let me know how it goes!

I took off three weeks and i am glad i did. It gave me time to get use to my band and my new way of eating. I could have gone back sooner, but i did not have to so......Donna

thanks guys! really appreciate the help and the support! now all I'm waiting on is getting my appointment! and I will keep those of you who are interested posted on my progress!