Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Still Researching... Questions I have

I'm very new to the idea of lap banding. I've come to the conclusion that this may be right for me. I have some questions I hope someone can answer for me please.

1. What did the docs tell you as far as recovery time and lifting restrictions? How long before you "should" lift? (I know some of you lifted a few days after your surgery, but what is the medical recommendation?)

2. Can you feel the appliance in your body at all?

3. For those who went to Tijuana, Mexico, did you feel that it was an environment where if something went really wrong they could medically treat you? Is there a fully staffed hospital close to the clinics where you had your procedure done?

4. What does it mean when they talk about "band slippage?" How do you know when you've had a slippage?

Thanks!

Good questions.

1. Take it easy and my body would be able to tell me when.

2. I did at first...like the first few weeks. But now, I can't. kinda like that bridge I had in my mouth.

3. Yes. Tijuana has great facilites if anything goes wrong, there is trauma units close by. The Huacuz Surgical Center, where I went was fully staffed. It was only $7,000 all inclusive and came highly recommended.

4. I've been shown photos, drawings, and it's even in the book...but I just don't get it.

Good luck and keep us posted.

They told me no lifting heavy things till I came back to see them (which was 4-5 weeks). I hear 6 weeks is a good rule of thumb to let stitches heal.

Sometimes I can feel the band in me, when I lay on my stomach, but it does not sound like this is a common thing. I can also feel my port if I push on my skin where it is.

And when I eat, sometimes I can feel things 'go through'.

Didn't go to Mexico..

Slippage is when the band slips from its position around your stomach. It can either block you up completely, or make you extremely loose. Some people's slipped bands are fixed by a complete unfill and a liquid diet, sometimes it requires another surgery to replace it.

The other major complication is erosion, I see you didn't mention that so wanted to make sure you realized it was out there! Sometimes the band essentially dissolves into your stomach, which can cause your stomach to have a hole in it.. and ultimately they take out the band and may or may not have it replaced at another time.

no heavy lifting for a 2 weeks, i cant feel it at all, i didnt go to mexico... lol, slippage is when the band moves out of place. You know if u have slippage because you get really hungry all of the sudden

I'm very new to the idea of lap banding. I've come to the conclusion that this may be right for me. I have some questions I hope someone can answer for me please.

1. What did the docs tell you as far as recovery time and lifting restrictions? How long before you "should" lift? (I know some of you lifted a few days after your surgery, but what is the medical recommendation?)

2. Can you feel the appliance in your body at all?

3. For those who went to Tijuana, Mexico, did you feel that it was an environment where if something went really wrong they could medically treat you? Is there a fully staffed hospital close to the clinics where you had your procedure done?

4. What does it mean when they talk about "band slippage?" How do you know when you've had a slippage?

Thanks!

1) Each doc is different. Mine said nothing heavier than a gallon of milk for several weeks.

2) Nope. I can feel the port with my hand but no, you can't feel the band.

3) I didn't go to TJ, I went to Mexicali but the situation is the same throughout Mexico. The issue you need to be aware of is their emergency services. It's not like in the US where if you throw a clot, have an emergency of some sort, whatever... you don't just dial 911 and you are at a hospital in minutes. It's more like as soon as they can get to you. That is usually quite a long time, hours. That's why it is my preference to have surgery in an actual hospital vs. a clinic. A clinic is not set up for all emergencies as a hospital is. The two do not compare.

4) Slips are when part of the stomach (usually the back side) slips UP through the band. There is somewhere between a 3-7% risk for this happening. If it does happen about 80% of the time it is fixed via an unfill. Symptoms vary with people. Some have no idea, others can't keep food or Water down.