Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I won't follow the herd any more...

I read that thread, I couldn't believe what she was saying. I think she just plain couldn't stick to the post op diet and justified it by saying she was a fast healer.

Isn't she the one that also said she didn't care if something happened because she wasn't following the instructions?

Yep..she said in her six days post op with the band she was cured of obesity and it didnt matter if she followed the instructions or if her band came out because she had a handle on it now. Weirdness. I am a self pay and my husband would divorce me if I had that attitude.

Nope...he said that I should get to goal on what I got..lol. For 4 weeks I have felt restriction, but not what I had before. Then this last week I pb'd once and felt like it tightened up. He said it probably did tighten up. So I tried to be as honest as possible and thus no fill. (which is fine...I dont want an unfill or problems later) I think I will follow my very wise friends advice (my quality friend..lol.)that told me I couldnt just run down to see our doc McDreamy and to seriously analyze where I am at.

Good decision on both your parts. You know you could have pushed and got your fill. I'm glad you didn't. You're so close to goal. Fills at this point, even small ones, can be disasters, especially if your fill doc leaves town.

Yep..she said in her six days post op with the band she was cured of obesity and it didnt matter if she followed the instructions or if her band came out because she had a handle on it now. Weirdness. I am a self pay and my husband would divorce me if I had that attitude.

Now that I think about it, I don't think I've seen this person around since. I do doubt the story, as I couldn't even get V8 juice down at 6 days post-op, let alone chicken! I cannot imagine going through surgery, and not caring enough to stick with a brief period of liquids.

Work,

I don't know if you saw the post a while back by a newbie, claiming she was eating everything, including chicken, because she thought she was healed at 6 days post-op. Her basis for this was because she was a "fast healer". She knew exactly what she SHOULD be doing, but chose not too. We'll see how that turns out.

OMG - that one was totally strange. And very defensive, so I had to wonder "troll?".

Now that I think about it, I don't think I've seen this person around since. I do doubt the story, as I couldn't even get V8 juice down at 6 days post-op, let alone chicken! I cannot imagine going through surgery, and not caring enough to stick with a brief period of liquids.

Ditto here, I had to mix my V8 with warm chicken broth. It was actually pretty good that way.

OMG - that one was totally strange. And very defensive, so I had to wonder "troll?".

Chelle,

How's YOUR fill going?

I can't imagine eating chicken six days post op. Not sure if I will be able to eat chicken 6 days post fill.

I researched long and hard before committing to major surgery, and still I had lots of questions. I am very thankful to those people who answered my posts. The information was sometimes inaccurate, but it gave me a starting point for research and helped me decide when to try something, do more research or call my doc. There were a few people who truly made a difference to me in those early days, and some who still do now.

It's sad that I am so hesitant to mention names nowadays, even to recognize good peoples, because it might start another controversy. There is one person in particular who was so honest and so good to me in the beginning, and she no longer posts on OH. She is one of the reasons I stay around, to give back to others who need support.

Chelle,

How's YOUR fill going?

So far so good! I am being ever so careful this time around, drinking liquids every hour and will progress slowly. I think I would feel like a failure if this one had to be removed! Patience is a virtue, unfortunately just not one of mine.

It's sad that I am so hesitant to mention names nowadays, even to recognize good peoples, because it might start another controversy. There is one person in particular who was so honest and so good to me in the beginning, and she no longer posts on OH. She is one of the reasons I stay around, to give back to others who need support.

JMHO but if someone made a huge difference in your life and helped a great deal, seems to me that they deserve a bit of recognition. Even if they aren't reading boards. If someone has a problem with a person that helped you that much, wouldn't it be their problem?

I can't imagine eating chicken six days post op. Not sure if I will be able to eat chicken 6 days post fill.

I researched long and hard before committing to major surgery, and still I had lots of questions. I am very thankful to those people who answered my posts. The information was sometimes inaccurate, but it gave me a starting point for research and helped me decide when to try something, do more research or call my doc. There were a few people who truly made a difference to me in those early days, and some who still do now.

This might sound naive, but I've been on many, many weight loss boards, and I honestly have not seen that much bad advise. There are things that I may not agree with, but I wouldn't call it "harmful". Mostly what I see is helpful, and if it's not, I disregard it. I know at 3 years out I have a bit more insight than a newbie, but even then I could spot something that wasn't quite right.

I was given handouts for each part of my pre-op/post-op phases. I went on OH during the 2nd week of my post-op liquid diet and questioned was there another way for me to get my protein/liquid requirements without milk. It was a Sunday and my nut wouldn't be in until Monday. I accepted Sandy's advice but ultimately decided that I would just keep with the milk and Protein Shakes until I heard from my nut. Her advice just didn't sound right.

I really think the difference is in our programs and told my surgeon (Dr. Prachand at the University of Chicago) that they need to get into a room and hammer out a basic guide. It's funny because although Dr. Curry isn't banded his wife is. Therefore, I'm more inclined to believe him over Sandy. Some forums don't even have a surgeon on them.

Then when Sandy pm'ed me with Wendell's personal information, I lost all respect for her. That was the most underhanded situation that I have ever experienced online. I called Dr. Kuri and his office manager stated that Sandy is a patient and does not do fills for him. When I posted on the thread that was bashing Wendell's Protein calculation, I wasn't defending him. I was defending his choice. Everyone is so high up on their horse with these band rules. Then people were emailing Brock saying that he was Wendell? WHO CARES???

Work, I think that you have "worked" the hell out of your tool. When I first came on the board, I thought that you were a big %$#* starter. Of course, I came in the middle of a protein shake/band rules war. Then you posted about folks posting to ask if people were still around and that it creates drama. We have the most OT posts on OH. IMHO, that was an unnecessary post. Yet, you have the right to post it. If folks don't understand that you guys have friendships outside of the board, SCREW THEM!!! Why post to the newbies and explain?

To sum it up. If an adult is not mentally handicapped, they don't need our protection. Can you really say that someone has said that they were saved from Wendell by you all? I don't feel sorry for people who don't follow their programs advice. If you listen to someone online over your doctor, you shouldn't have wls.

Whew, that felt good to say.

Sharee

JMHO but if someone made a huge difference in your life and helped a great deal, seems to me that they deserve a bit of recognition. Even if they aren't reading boards. If someone has a problem with a person that helped you that much, wouldn't it be their problem?

In theory, yes, but you know as well as I do that there are some pit bulls who won't let go of things. I used to recognize this person on OH often, until she told me why she left. Then I realized that it was yet another personality conflict and we sure didn't need another one over there!

She knows the impact she made on my life, and I have referred others to her privately when I think her particular experiences would be helpful. Do this defeat the concept of a public forum? Of course it does, but I have to choose my own battles. Maybe if I weren't in such a high stress job, I would be different here. Forums, the good ones, are my sanctuary and I want to protect that.

"Trying to define yourself is like trying to bite your own teeth." -Alan Watts

I was given handouts for each part of my pre-op/post-op phases. I went on OH during the 2nd week of my post-op liquid diet and questioned was there another way for me to get my protein/liquid requirements without milk. It was a Sunday and my nut wouldn't be in until Monday. I accepted Sandy's advice but ultimately decided that I would just keep with the milk and Protein Shakes until I heard from my nut. Her advice just didn't sound right.

I really think the difference is in our programs and told my surgeon (Dr. Prachand at the University of Chicago) that they need to get into a room and hammer out a basic guide. It's funny because although Dr. Curry isn't banded his wife is. Therefore, I'm more inclined to believe him over Sandy. Some forums don't even have a surgeon on them.

Then when Sandy pm'ed me with Wendell's personal information, I lost all respect for her. That was the most underhanded situation that I have ever experienced online. I called Dr. Kuri and his office manager stated that Sandy is a patient and does not do fills for him. When I posted on the thread that was bashing Wendell's Protein calculation, I wasn't defending him. I was defending his choice. Everyone is so high up on their horse with these band rules. Then people were emailing Brock saying that he was Wendell? WHO CARES???

Work, I think that you have "worked" the hell out of your tool. When I first came on the board, I thought that you were a big %$#* starter. Of course, I came in the middle of a protein shake/band rules war. Then you posted about folks posting to ask if people were still around and that it creates drama. We have the most OT posts on OH. IMHO, that was an unnecessary post. Yet, you have the right to post it. If folks don't understand that you guys have friendships outside of the board, SCREW THEM!!! Why post to the newbies and explain?

To sum it up. If an adult is not mentally handicapped, they don't need our protection. Can you really say that someone has said that they were saved from Wendell by you all? I don't feel sorry for people who don't follow their programs advice. If you listen to someone online over your doctor, you shouldn't have wls.

Whew, that felt good to say.

Sharee

You go, girl, get it out of your system!

This might sound naive, but I've been on many, many weight loss boards, and I honestly have not seen that much bad advise. There are things that I may not agree with, but I wouldn't call it "harmful". Mostly what I see is helpful, and if it's not, I disregard it. I know at 3 years out I have a bit more insight than a newbie, but even then I could spot something that wasn't quite right.

I think too many folks just feel that if they need to know something, the doc will tell them. And we all know that doesn't happen as it should. Overall, I agree in that most of the advice given, even from the two most named people on the boards, is generally fine. The method of delivery is often annoying, but not harmful.

What I like best about boards is that someone can ask a question, and get a variety of answers - and the responses generally have a common theme and will guide the person appropriately.