Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I won't follow the herd any more...

I would hope that people would follow the advise of their surgeon, and not follow anyone's advise on the internet, licensed, unlicensed, or layperson.

Sorry, I was trying to respond to Susan's post.

I would hope so too, but a lot don't, in part because there are pseudo experts like Sandy all to ready give out crap advice. I was and am very fortunate because my doc answers all of my emails straight away. In fact he called me twice during the week after my surgery to make sure that I was doing ok and to see if I had any problems or questions. I also have a NUT that I can email. I think a lot of questions are asked on forums that should be answered by the persons doc or NUT. I think new band patients should be encouraged to ask their doc all of this stuff. If patients raise the bar a little in terms of info they request from their docs it makes them better for the future patients too. When someone like Sandy takes the place of their doc and gives out info like "blended up meatloaf is a liquid" it crosses the line between support and providing bad nutrition/medical info. I saw so many people dissing Wendell on OH for "the sake of the newbies". Well it turns out there is someone on OH that the newbies should be advised about and it's not Wendell. Where are all those "newbie protectors" now?

I don't care if she responds, I just was trying to put my post in the right spot.

Awe come on, I know you really care....

Originally Posted by Chelle B viewpost.gif

Not sure what your point is.

I accept all friends requests and have 366 on my list.

Work-n-prgrss has 234.

Nancy B has 43.

DANG! I need to get some more friends!

Its not in the number its in the quality....

I would hope so too but you know there does seem to be a common problem with most surgeons. Look at the newbies on any banding forum. They don't know anything! By the time I had my own surgery I read until my head hurt, I researched, I asked questions, I did my work. I had a pretty good idea of what I needed to know in order to make the decision and I had some idea of what to expect after surgery.

The questions from the newbies still amaze me sometimes. They don't know if they have a post op diet, they don't know the difference between clears and fulls, they don't know the absolute basics. How many are shocked that they have no restriction before a fill?

I think it is a combination of information overload to patients and doctors not explaining anything. How many docs explain WHY the post op diet is so critical? People think it is a matter of swelling and as soon as they can eat food, they do. If swelling has gone down enough that solids go down, they believe they are good to go. They have no idea what it is that is healing.

If docs would take some time and explain about the reasons for the post op diet the chances are more folks would stick to it.

I spend a lot of time explaining the "whys" of things. Why is the post op diet critical, why is a fill that is too tight dangerous, etc. Why aren't the doctors explaining this? I've read too many people comment that they learned more about how the band works and why we do the things we do on the boards than they ever learned from their docs.

While I completely and totally agree with you about following your own surgeon's advice, I'm not really sure they are giving out the information that people need. People will spend months researching a car they are considering - but surgery... they leave it up to their doc to make the decisions.

I don't get it.

Just because someone asks about something on a forum does not mean that their doc didn't provide that info to them. I would bet alot of them were even provided with it in writing. If those people asked their docs the same questions a few times their docs would see what points need to be hammered home a little harder, and that would improve care for everybody. I also think there are a lot of people who know full well what they should and should not be doing/eating but want to find out what's the worst that can happen if they do those things anyway. Those people probaby should have gone to Jenny Craig. It would have been a lot safer for them.

Just because someone asks about something on a forum does not mean that their doc didn't provide that info to them. I would bet alot of them were even provided with it in writing. If those people asked their docs the same questions a few times their docs would see what points need to be hammered home a little harder, and that would improve care for everybody. I also think there are a lot of people who know full well what they should and should not be doing/eating but want to find out what's the worst that can happen if they do those things anyway. Those people probaby should have gone to Jenny Craig. It would have been a lot safer for them.

I personally know what our patients get for the post-op period, but sometimes they get amnesia, or just need reassurance.

That is very true. I sit in the waiting room at my docs office and am shocked but what other band patients dont know and dont care to know. But my experience with my surgeon is that he is very informative and caring even when busy he takes the time to answer all questions and give out information as to where I am at in my band journey. So I believe he is that way with them....but they are not tuned in..

That is very true. I sit in the waiting room at my docs office and am shocked but what other band patients dont know and dont care to know. But my experience with my surgeon is that he is very informative and caring even when busy he takes the time to answer all questions and give out information as to where I am at in my band journey. So I believe he is that way with them....but they are not tuned in..

Work,

I don't know if you saw the post a while back by a newbie, claiming she was eating everything, including chicken, because she thought she was healed at 6 days post-op. Her basis for this was because she was a "fast healer". She knew exactly what she SHOULD be doing, but chose not too. We'll see how that turns out.

OHHHH!!! Which reminds me!!! Did you get your fill yesterday?

I think sometimes that is true but when you explain the reason for the post op diet sooooo many times they are floored, they had no idea. They just know it is for healing, they never heard the concept of scarring or other issues.

We had a thread a long time ago where this issue was discussed. We had it set up so that the newbies would wait and see if their doc explained it to them as they knew the info ahead of time from reading the boards.

Not a single doc explained the details. Just that the post op diet was important for healing. Then we asked the newbies to start asking their docs why they didn't explain well and the thread died off about that point so nobody really explained what their docs had to say.

And I think it is information overload sometimes. There is a LOT to know about banding. There is a ton of information out there and I think people get a little overwhelmed with all the info so they don't retain it well.

But the post op diet is my own personal pet peeve. Docs need to do a better job explaining why the patient needs to do things, not just that they need to do it. When people understand why they are more likely to remember and follow the instructions. When they don't understand why they don't do nearly as well at following instructions.

Work,

I don't know if you saw the post a while back by a newbie, claiming she was eating everything, including chicken, because she thought she was healed at 6 days post-op. Her basis for this was because she was a "fast healer". She knew exactly what she SHOULD be doing, but chose not too. We'll see how that turns out.

Yes I saw that thread. I made sure and stayed far away from it. She was actually advocating breaking your doctors rules and saying how wonderful it was going for her. What do you say to someone like that? (except wonder if they are for real)

Work,

I read that thread, I couldn't believe what she was saying. I think she just plain couldn't stick to the post op diet and justified it by saying she was a fast healer.

Isn't she the one that also said she didn't care if something happened because she wasn't following the instructions?

I read that thread, I couldn't believe what she was saying. I think she just plain couldn't stick to the post op diet and justified it by saying she was a fast healer.

Isn't she the one that also said she didn't care if something happened because she wasn't following the instructions?

Even better...she didn't care if something happened to her band, because SHE HAD LEARNED TO EAT SLOWLY AND CHEW HER food, which she felt she could now do without a band.

OHHHH!!! Which reminds me!!! Did you get your fill yesterday?

Nope...he said that I should get to goal on what I got..lol. For 4 weeks I have felt restriction, but not what I had before. Then this last week I pb'd once and felt like it tightened up. He said it probably did tighten up. So I tried to be as honest as possible and thus no fill. (which is fine...I dont want an unfill or problems later) I think I will follow my very wise friends advice (my quality friend..lol.)that told me I couldnt just run down to see our doc McDreamy and to seriously analyze where I am at.

Even better...she didn't care if something happened to her band, because SHE HAD LEARNED TO EAT SLOWLY AND CHEW HER food, which she felt she could now do without a band.

Oh yeah! I remember now. How could I forget such brilliance?

Hopefully she was a troll instead of really being that stupid.