Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking forward to sleeving!!!

I've recently just heard about the sleeve at work from co-workers being this is the new thing that everyone is doing because our insurance approves it sooo fast and people are looking into weight loss options. I've been on this page days now just looking around and researching. Although a lot of my questions were answered, I still have a few. Is there an age limit that you shouldn't get sleeved? Has anyone had it more than 10 years and can tell about their experience? I'm really considering being that I've gained so much weight and don't see myself losing because I eat alot!!! Im 5"7 and weigh about 260!!!!!

I've never heard of any age limit for gastric sleeve surgery.

Getting approved quickly is both a positive & a negative, in my opinion. Positive because you don't have to wait & agonize. Negative because many people who have been quickly approved reveal later that they didn't have enough time to truly prepare.

This isn't trivial surgery. This is life-changing stuff. Good luck!

Thanks so much for your response! I've been doing more and more research and although I'm uncomfortably big, im not quite sure if I'm so ready to take these steps!! It is life changing. I spoke with other co workers today about this same thing. Many are doing it because it's trending at work instead of actually researching. I think I would rather wait a few more years myself before taking the big leap. I just don't know if my mind is strong enough at this point

Welcome to the group!

Insurance approval is always hit or miss for many people. Some insurance companies approve it quicker than others. Mine was 2.5 months from my first doctors appointment until surgery date, but I didn't have a 6 month waiting period like a friends insurance plan required.

I do agree that you need to mentally be ready for the surgery. Most insurance companies require a Psych eval to determine this. You need to realize that this is a lifestyle change and a tool to do that. That the surgery isn't a fix all. Also, many people go into surgery with unrealistic weight loss expectations. That they assume the weight will drop off instantly, and that they will be "skinny" with no excess skin. Yes, the weight might drop off quicker at first, but eventually it slows down and stops. Excess skin does happen. And if you don;t change your eating habits the weight can/will creep back on. The sleeve (aka your tool) didn't fail, you did. Also, if you don;t go in with realistic expectations you might find yourself frustrated at the weight loss process.

I'm not trying to sound negative, but informative. You already said that you don't think you're ready for it, which is good. It shows that you're giving this thought and realize that this is a life changing procedure.

Edited by naturegirl