Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Unexpected benefits....will they last?

Hi, I was banded 2 weeks ago. I have always had really oily hair and skin and acne. Since being banded, my skin looks great. It's almost completely cleared up and never oily and my hair doesn't get nearly as oily either. It's great and I love only having to wash my hair every other day. I'm just wondering if this benefit will last or if once I go back to eating regular food (I'm on mushies now) if my hair and skin will go back to being oily and having acne. Does anyone know or have experience with this? Thanks.

I'm not sure of this. But I have noticed that my skin also looks better. It is smoother and I had some dark areas on my face that have lightened. I also used to have alot of Hair growth on my face which has also decreased.

Sugar causes hormone blah blah which causes acne.

That's something my gyno told me once. I don't have acne, but she was relating it to my mood swings and that was part of it.

Maybe since you likely eat less sugar now, less acne? :)

I think my hair is actually getting oily-er since banding. It might just be that it's thinning out. But I normally could go 2 days without washing it, now I have to do it everyday or it looks horribly stringy.

Ever notice that if you eat KFC your skin and hair are extra oily the following day? Your food choices now have less fat, sugar, and transfats. Your diet is better.

See what a difference it makes to eat a diet with less crap? :)

According to my gyno, sugar is the reason for my mood swings!

She told me if I stopped eating sugar, I'd quit being a horrible B*tch to my husband!

I still asked her to change my B/C prescription. She had me on something new that I swear was making me crazy. But again, she said it was sugar.

I've always drank tons of Water though and my skin has still been awful. Its only been since I've been banded that it's gotten better.

my skin looks the best it has in a while. I think it has to do with my diet. I have cut out all processed sugars and I am eating lots of lean Protein, fruits,and veggies plus tons of Water. I feel and look great. I have got to get some pictures to post.

My skin looks better too-but I have to say my skin has been really dry since banding. Any others experience this?

My skin looks better too-but I have to say my skin has been really dry since banding. Any others experience this?

Oh yeah!

I realized I wasn't getting any fat in my diet at all so now I use olive oil on my salad. About a tablespoon total daily.

I've always drank tons of Water though and my skin has still been awful. Its only been since I've been banded that it's gotten better.
Some of us are just condemned to having bad skin. I wish mine had improved. I need to go back on BC, it was the only thing that ever helped.

OK...can't say my skins changed, but I do have something that has totally changed since banding in Feb. I've been able to grow fingernails for the first time in my life. Anyone else ever heard of this?

Yessss.. protein=better hair & fingernails.

My fingernails normally flake and break all the time, even though I try to grow them out.

Since banding, my nails have been gooorgeous and long and hard. I thank my Protein test tubes.

My mom was jealous, and somehow thought it was from my flintstone vitamins.. so she bought some and is taking them in hopes of pretty nails.

I think it's good she now takes Vitamins, so I don't have the heart to tell her its the protein.

My hair suffered for a while but is much better again now.

My skin hasnt changed really, I've always had pretty good skin.

Fingers crossed for you, it really does improve the way you feel about yourself.

I know my current glowing looks wont last, lol. Just back from holidays, gloriously brown ALL OVER thanks to the bikini, lol. I love love love having a tan although in Australia its drummed into us from birth how bad the sun is, its so strong here and most Australians will have bits of themselves removed due to precancerous changes as they age.

But for now, damn I look hot. Gonna get a spray tan next week to desperately try to hang onto it for a week longer, lol.

Hopefully your improvements are here to stay!