Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A Soon to Be Banded Newbie Has a Question?

Hello everyone,

I am new to this site, and scheduled for lap band surgery Oct. 24th. Any folks out there who were banded over 4 years ago?

I am curious what it is like for you long term??

I know the lap band was approved by FDA in 2001 in the USA so there is not a lot of data/studies in the USA beyond seven years.

How are you all doing?!! As a soon to be banded persons I need positive encouragement! :clap2:

Hi,

I scheduled for Oct 30th for my band. This site has many folks who have been banded all around the world.

Where are you getting your band? I'm in Massachusetts. My Dr. has done about 500 of these and all with great success.

Hope all goes well with you on 10/24. Please keep me posted on what to expect post surgery.

Good luck!:eek:

I am new to this site, and scheduled for lap band surgery Oct. 24th. Any folks out there who were banded over 4 years ago?

I am curious what it is like for you long term??

How are you all doing?!! As a soon to be banded persons I need positive encouragement! :clap2:

Summer,

First of all POSITIVE ENCOURAGEMENT should come from within. The band is the easy part. It is from within you that needs to change. You have to begin your POSITIVE reinforcement today while you are thinking about it. Also, if you are able to find support groups in your area that would be great too. I am not sure if you have struggled with your weight all your life but you have made the decision to make your life today a better one for tomorrow.

I have had my band next month for two years. I have not had one problem what so ever. The only thing that I had to change with this helpful tool was my port. The original was too big and when I lost all my weight it was sticking out too much so they put in a smaller one. Even though that is sticking out also but not as much this is the price I must pay to be healthy and I would do it again in a HEART BEAT!

I saw my WLS doctor on Wednesday and since I have maintained my 251/140 111lb. weight loss for over a year now; my surgery was Nov. 2005 and I hit goal in July, 2006, I have graduated to seeing him only every 3 months. I have to keep seeing him as he is my encouragement to maintain my loss. I asked him if I needed to watch out for anything since I am 2 years out and he told me to keep an eye open for reflux but I have NEVER had any problems. With this whole experience, do you know the only thing that I cannot stomach is broccoli? Even though I love it, I will not touch it again otherwise I am pretty damn lucky that is all I have to worry about putting down my throat. I still have not eaten soft bread though. I eat either crackers or croutons.

Have the POWER OF POSITIVE THINKING Summer and you should do well. Ask anytime for help, I will be there for you.

Josephine