Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Friday...Quick Question

I have my surgery scheduled for Friday. I have a ride home from the surgery but will be by myself off and on for the next couple of days. Does anyone have any suggestions of things that I might need after surgery. I just want to be prepared. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :eek:

Elizabeth

Hi elizelder!

If you go to the forum "Lapband Surgery FAQ's and References" listed a few below "Introductions" it has a GREAT list of things you'll need to get in the house before your surgery. I have it printed out and in my purse for my next trip to the store!

Best of luck on Friday!!!!

Forestcat

<p>I was banded 3 weeks ago and was in the same situation and I was fine. I did not get the prescription for pain medication filled and only used liquid tylenol. Just make sure you have the Clear Liquids you will need for a few days broth, Water, popsicles, sugar free Jello. I also have Isopure, Protein water and found it at Vitamin Shoppe. </p> <p> </p> <p>Just take it easy, but get up and walk around a lot. On Sunday I drove to the store and was fine. Just don't drive while on prescription pain pills..</p> <p> </p> <p>Good Luck!</p>

thanks, so how did you do when you started stage 3, when you first had foods? What was the first thing you had to eat? ya, I didnt have to take any pain meds.

Hope to hear back from you.

Thanks

Not something you need to buy---but just a suggestion that helped me a LOT!!! Find a hard back 4 legged chair, like a dining chair, and have it next to your bed. Prior to surgery figure out exactly where it will need to be placed to be of the most help as you get in and out of bed. Use it to leverage yourself. Sounds minor, but getting in and out of bed, was the most difficult task I had---After sleeping for several hours, I would be stiff, and sore, the chair was a welcome help.

If you are going to be alone, keep a cordless phone, or a cell phone with you---just clip it on your clothes---that way if you should fall, or should get light headed or anything that occasionally happens following surgery of any kind, you can summon help if you need it.

Best of Luck to you!!!! Welcome to LBT, See ya in bandland!!!

Kat

my first meal after the soft food was salmon and green beans...got that down okay....tried chicken salad and tuna salad and it's tough to go down for me....soups are still good, but adding very small pieces of chicken and some veggies down...

I think the mushie stage is easier !

Kat - that's an exellent suggestion! My memories have pretty much faded, but I DO remember having to do the "use my hands to crawl up my legs thing" to stand up straight. Umm, hopefully that makes some sense.

If you have a large pannus (p-a-n-n-u-s!), then some way to support it will also help greatly - or did me anyway. After 3 days of very painful walking, I realized that just by supporting the pannus, about 80% of my pain was removed. I just supported it with my hand for a while, but if I'd have an ace wrap or something, that would have been nice.

I couldn't stand the Isopure. I made it about 4 days on that stuff before deciding I had to switch brands. Then I felt bad because it was just sitting there so I revisited it. I tried mixing it in milk vs Water, and voila -- instantly better. Still not good, but better.

Things I mix into my Protein drinks include:

Peanut Butter (almost always)

Nutella

SF DaVinci Syrup in Kahlua brand flavor

Fresh strawberries

Fiber One Cereal or Grape Nuts

That's about it. I don't rely on them as much as I used to so I've started sticking with the basics. There for a while I got pretty crazy. :D