Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Left shoulder pain 5 mos post op

I was wondering how many of you are still having left shoulder pain? It seems to be getting worse...IT IS getting worse..when I start to eat is usually when it comes on and it just gets worse even before I feel comfortably full. And it takes awhile to go away....sometimes I raise my left arm over my head or do that and lean to the right just to feel better....I hate it what can I do? And how many of you are experiencing this? I mentioned it once to the Dr I dont remember exactly how he put it or what he said word for word..but if I go in for another fill I will be talking the my actual surgeon about it...~Chantay

It's starting to bother me so bad Im trying to rate it on the pain scale and if it was all the time pain I would be taking tylenol or something.

Boy... do I hear ya! I had my surgery on May 9/07 and I still have very bad left shoulder pain almost everyday. I've also noticed that I have an excess of gas most days too so I contribute it to that.

It is so bad sometimes that I want to scream. It gets to the point some days where it actually impairs functioning. I'm very irritated with it!!!

I did notice that with one of my fills it did go away completely for about two weeks but then it came back. Then my next fill seemed to make it worse. Sigh... can't win. I just hope and pray that it is not with me for life.

:faint:

Hello

I had the same problem! I was to tight! I had to get an unfill! I spoke with my surgeon and he also told me that it can also be from eating to fast or eating to much! The pain is a soft stop! But I would ask your doctor and find out if your band is to tight. I have actually lost weight. Hope this helps Kelli

I wish it was as simple as an unfill. At least for me, that's not the answer. I had the pain prior to fills, it has never left since surgery.

It is not always all day long, everyday but it is that way more than not. What I've really noticed on the days when it's not constant is the pain starts when I need to eat. When I have eaten enough the pain is gone, I do agree with the signal of the soft stop though... very true. If I overeat the pain will return. It's a fine line! :eek:

How about you ChantayMarie71. Is the pain constant?

I had my band put in about two years ago and I still have this pain. I had an unfill about 3 months ago and have since gained about 20 pounds. The unfill did help. But I noticed right before and during my time of the month the pain is very bad. I have tried all the gas meds I can find. I have tried eating only liquids and still nothing helps. I am going today to get my fill put back in so I can lose this weight and I will talk to him about what we can do to fix this. I also feel like I cannot function with this pain. Some days I take pain killers just so I can function enough to take care of my boys and do all the mom things that need to be done. I will let you know what he says today about it. Good luck to you.

JJB, I hope you get some answers. Wow - two years! Sigh....

I appreciate you getting back to us after your appt. Hopefully you'll get some ideas from him about why this happens!!!!

Take care,

I also have this mystery left shoulder pain after eating. :rolleyes: I talked to my orthopedic Dr. and he said it is a trigger spot. He said it would go away soon, and if not to come back. Well gess what I still have the pain. Some times it hurts so bad I use my tens unit to interrupt the pain impulse. I try not to over eat because it really hurts if I do. If anyone finds out how to make it stop please share.

JP:help:

mine is MOSTLY when I begin eating..not constant, however I noticed it slightly last night when just drinking...Is is definately associated with eating and goes away after time...it just all depends on the types of food I eat and how much..I dont think of it as a soft stop either but I do tend to wanna stop eating when it comes on...so who knows?? ~Chantay

JP - does the tens machine help to get rid of the pain? Can you suggest a good model of machine?

If it is a trigger spot, I wonder if accupuncture would help? Just an idea.

I was wondering how many of you are still having left shoulder pain? It seems to be getting worse...IT IS getting worse..when I start to eat is usually when it comes on and it just gets worse even before I feel comfortably full. And it takes awhile to go away....sometimes I raise my left arm over my head or do that and lean to the right just to feel better....I hate it what can I do? And how many of you are experiencing this? I mentioned it once to the Dr I dont remember exactly how he put it or what he said word for word..but if I go in for another fill I will be talking the my actual surgeon about it...~Chantay

It's starting to bother me so bad Im trying to rate it on the pain scale and if it was all the time pain I would be taking tylenol or something.

Chantay:

I get this pain in the left shoulder occasionally radiating up to my neck. The first time it happened was when I got food stuck. The pain was so severe the first time I called the surgeon and had to go to the hospital to make sure I hadn't messed up my band. I didn't ask for anything for the pain, but they offered morphine, and it helped alot. When I get this pain now it is because I have eaten something too fast. I discussed it with my surgeon. He said that it's probably that my esophogus is bothered by whatever I ate too fast. The esophogus has some nerves that run up your left shoulder to your neck. So, that's probably why it hurts my shoulder and neck. It usually passes pretty quickly when I get it now. Of course if I pay more attention while I'm eating it's less likely to occur.

Good luck and please pay attention when eating, slow, small bites, you know the drill!

Take care.

Sue Magoo

H-324/S-287/C-253/G-160

Sue Magoo, that's interesting. I never thought of the esophagus being involved. I wonder if it would be the cause when the left shoulder pain is not just associated with eating but more constant.

Iam 4 weeks out and still having gas pains in the left shoulder. I go for my first fill on Monday and the see the doctor for a follow up. I will ask him about the gas pain and then also about if it also has to do with eating etc. This is a good thread.

Chris

I also still have shoulder pain and it is often pretty bad. I also still have gas a lot of the time. I would love to know how to stop it. Gas-x does not help at all for me. Donna

I will look when I get home for th model #.

Well the Dr took out all of my fill on Friday to see if the shoulder pain got better. Well it did. Not completely but for the most part it was better. My Dr told me that I could have it put back today so I would not over eat to much. Well he put it back in and before I even left the office the pain was back. He wants me ot let him know how it is over the next couple days. And then we will go from there to see what my options are. He mentioned a new band that is out that is easier on your stomach. So I will let you know what happens. I do know that I can not keep having this pain all the time.