Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do You Agree With Brad ??

Um, what? I wasn't being facetious to you. I seriously don't understand what you mean by "Holidays espcially easter and the resurrection of christ, jesus walking on Water, etc." That isn't a full sentence, just a list of subjects. I need to know what you are saying about them. What about holidays? What about the resurrection of christ? What about jesus walking on water? It's not belittling your character to ask you to type in a complete sentence. Otherwise, people have no clue what you are talking about. It would be like me saying, "biology, medicine, insects." What about biology, medicine, insects? People cannot read your mind!

Again, astrology is not considered a science. It is considered to be a psuedoscience at best. Go as any biologist or physicist or chemist and ask them if astrology is a science. They will, without a doubt, say no. Astrology is divination by the position of stars and moons. Astonomy is the study of matter in outer space. There is a vast difference between the two. One is a science. The other is not. Period.

And again, NO, I'm not a "christian scientist." I'm an ATHEIST.

As they are all within the universe so they work together.

Maybe I should have stated this to began with.

I thought as a scientist you would have understood.

I am very deep spiritually.

Since you are an atheist my truth will do you no justice.

Beyond books but by experience.

As they are all within the universe so they work together.

Maybe I should have stated this to began with.

I thought as a scientist you would have understood.

I am very deep spiritually.

Since you are an atheist my truth will do you no justice.

Beyond books but by experience.

Oy. Scientists have no better ability to understand partial sentences than anyone else.

And I'll keep my other comment to myself. It probably wouldn't go over well.

Belief is not a choice. It's not like a light switch ones turns on and off. It is or it isn't.

What would it take for you to simply quit believing in your God? Simple, right? :)

hhhhhhmmmmmmmm, if believing is not a choice, then what it is? I choose to believe in God due to my own reasons, experiences, research, and yes, feelings and heart, etc, but I do add my brain to the equation as well..right at this minute nothing will make me stop believing in God, and I don't anticipate it in my future, but if something life changing or some very relevant information was in front of me and I could see that I was wrong, I could choose to stop believing....I don't see why not... right now, there is just nothing conclusive for me to change though, however, I've had wonderful and meaningful spiritual experiences that makes my Christian faith stronger...

.........but never a fundie...sp? LOL!

Oy. Scientists have no better ability to understand partial sentences than anyone else.

And I'll keep my other comment to myself. It probably wouldn't go over well.

I hope you are feeling well.

This is the internet.

You are free to speak as you may.

Just as I am free to speak as I may.

If you are a english major I can see why my comments would confuse you.

So when you are a child do you truly choose or do your parents choose for you?

Astrology and astronomy work together.

When I am a child my parents tell me things and I believe them because they are my parents. When I am old enough to think rationally for myself I accept reality. They told me Santa existed and I believed that, but when I was old enough to use critical thinking skills I realized they were wrong and didn't take what they say as fact.

I didn't "choose" to be an atheist, it doesn't work that way. I fought it for many years. For a good 15-20 years I tried my best to believe. I studied many religions trying to find one I *could* believe in. I was everything from Roman Catholic to Unitarian, to Jewish (took the cool classes and everything), to New Age Twinkie, and finally one day I realized I was an atheist. I didn't choose to be atheist, I simply realized it one day and acknowledged it.

Believe me, if I was going to choose a belief or lack of belief, it wouldn't be atheism. It's not exactly the easier path in life.

When I am a child my parents tell me things and I believe them because they are my parents. When I am old enough to think rationally for myself I accept reality. They told me Santa existed and I believed that, but when I was old enough to use critical thinking skills I realized they were wrong and didn't take what they say as fact.

I didn't "choose" to be an atheist, it doesn't work that way. I fought it for many years. For a good 15-20 years I tried my best to believe. I studied many religions trying to find one I *could* believe in. I was everything from Roman Catholic to Unitarian, to Jewish (took the cool classes and everything), to New Age Twinkie, and finally one day I realized I was an atheist. I didn't choose to be atheist, I simply realized it one day and acknowledged it.

Believe me, if I was going to choose a belief or lack of belief, it wouldn't be atheism. It's not exactly the easier path in life.

Ditto. I went to church every Sunday for 18 years. I tried to believe, to have faith. I didn't. If I could have chosen to believe, I would have.

With that I totally agree and the site that you posted above is simply disgusting.... I'm sorry that you have encountered so many horrible Christians in your life..... I've encountered a few horrible atheists, and a few horrible Christians and a couple of horrible muslims.... not counting the terrorists around the world....because I hadn't dealt with them personally....LOL

I also read that you have Christians at your door steps all the time trying to convert you and/or condemn you... I'm 45, in my entire life, I think they knocked on my door...say 2-3 times max....and now that I remember, it always happened at this particular house, so I gues I've been just lucky....maybe they work more in some areas? I don't know.... I'm trying to think if I would be very bothered if an atheist would show up at my door steps and tried to convert me....I'd like to think that I wouldn't be so bothered by it....I think I probably wouldn't care and I would probably be nice to them....now if it happened all the time....well, then maybe I'd be pissed.... mostly because I would have to be getting up and answering the dang door....lOL!

Keep in mind, I live near Mesa, Arizona. Mormon Land. :) So we do get a LOT more here than other places might. The kids have to do their mission or whatever it's called. You know, where they dress in black pants, a white shirt, tie, and their bike going door to door.

Then there are JW's that are here all the time leaving their brochures when I don't answer the door or at grocery stores, etc.

Or, maybe it's because one day I finally explained I am atheist and have no desire to be converted so they are taking me on as a special cause. :fish2:

Our airport finally had to ban them because they were getting so many complaints from travelers that just wanted to board a plane.

Then there are missions that go to other countries and teach about their religion, isn't that witnessing? They aren't just handing out food, they are handing out religion as well.

Native Americans... not a single one used to be Christian before we invaded. Those folks had their children taken from them at young ages, sent to a boarding school (according to the military it was cheaper to change them to white customs than it was to kill them), and after the children were Christian they were returned home with the instruction of converting their family. By that time they didn't even remember their family, they didn't know them.

Christianity does have a poor rep throughout history for converting those that don't think their way and I think that bleeds over today (speaking emotionally and how people respond/react) when Christians still attempt to convert.

I suspect you are Queen of a very large group.... myself included! :phanvan

Thankfully, in real time most of my friends know what I mean vs. what I say. I don't think I'd have any friends if they didn't. HA!

Keep in mind, I live near Mesa, Arizona. Mormon Land. :) So we do get a LOT more here than other places might. The kids have to do their mission or whatever it's called. You know, where they dress in black pants, a white shirt, tie, and their bike going door to door.

Then there are JW's that are here all the time leaving their brochures when I don't answer the door or at grocery stores, etc.

Or, maybe it's because one day I finally explained I am atheist and have no desire to be converted so they are taking me on as a special cause. :fish2:

Our airport finally had to ban them because they were getting so many complaints from travelers that just wanted to board a plane.

Then there are missions that go to other countries and teach about their religion, isn't that witnessing? They aren't just handing out food, they are handing out religion as well.

Native Americans... not a single one used to be Christian before we invaded. Those folks had their children taken from them at young ages, sent to a boarding school (according to the military it was cheaper to change them to white customs than it was to kill them), and after the children were Christian they were returned home with the instruction of converting their family. By that time they didn't even remember their family, they didn't know them.

Christianity does have a poor rep throughout history for converting those that don't think their way and I think that bleeds over today (speaking emotionally and how people respond/react) when Christians still attempt to convert.

Ditto, again. Except here in Kentucky, it's Mormons and Southern Baptists.

Don't get me wrong, I like Mormons. They aren't bad, as long as they leave you alone. My ex-roommate converted to LDS so that she could date her boyfriend, who was also a Mormon. I lived with her for 4 years, until I graduated and they got married. And subsequently divorced, the day before their 1st anniversary, as the case was.

Yeah, it's got to do with the area for sure....Also I was thinking that the few I got were JW's...each time....so maybe it has to do with the denomination as well...

hhhhhhmmmmmmmm, if believing is not a choice, then what it is? I choose to believe in God due to my own reasons, experiences, research, and yes, feelings and heart, etc, but I do add my brain to the equation as well..right at this minute nothing will make me stop believing in God, and I don't anticipate it in my future, but if something life changing or some very relevant information was in front of me and I could see that I was wrong, I could choose to stop believing....I don't see why not... right now, there is just nothing conclusive for me to change though, however, I've had wonderful and meaningful spiritual experiences that makes my Christian faith stronger...

.........but never a fundie...sp? LOL!

I think you are missing my point.

You are saying that if a life changing event happened you might choose to stop believing. I am saying something different. If I suggest to you that today, right this minute... stop believing in God. You could do that, right? You said it's a choice.

Could you do it? Or does your heart tell you differently?

Can you turn your belief on and off like a light switch? This moment you believe, the very next moment you don't... just because you don't want to believe anymore. Wouldn't it be a true statement to say that it would take a specific event to change your mind about your God and if he exists vs. just deciding you don't want to believe anymore?

Do you believe that squares and circles are the same exact thing? No, you know logically that is impossible. So what would it take for you to decide you believe squares and circles are the same exact thing? Can you turn that kind of a belief on and off? Or do you need evidence before you can change your mind? Don't you need an event to prove you were wrong the first time?

If I tell you my Water heater is the true God, would you believe it? Why not? Can't you just turn your beliefs on and off at a whim?

That's kinda my point.

Don't get me wrong, I like Mormons. They aren't bad, as long as they leave you alone. My ex-roommate converted to LDS so that she could date her boyfriend, who was also a Mormon. I lived with her for 4 years, until I graduated and they got married. And subsequently divorced, the day before their 1st anniversary, as the case was.

Please forgive me if I'm taking this statement in the wrong way, but when I read or hear things like "Don't get me wrong, I like Mormons. They aren't bad".......what are we really saying? because I like or dislike people for who they are as individuals, and not for the religion that they may be part of... so it's a very generic phrase for me.... I've heard similar statements when some people are talking about other people from different countries..."Oh I like Puerto Ricans, or Cubans, or whatever, they are not bad" shouldn't it be that you like that particular person for many other reasons, then why mention Mormons, or Christians or Europeans???? sorry, am I being anal..? don't mind me then.....LOL!

Please forgive me if I'm taking this statement in the wrong way, but when I read or hear things like "Don't get me wrong, I like Mormons. They aren't bad".......what are we really saying? because I like or dislike people for who they are as individuals, and not for the religion that they may be part of... so it's a very generic phrase for me.... I've heard similar statements when some people are talking about other people from different countries..."Oh I like Puerto Ricans, or Cubans, or whatever, they are not bad" shouldn't it be that you like that particular person for many other reasons, then why mention Mormons, or Christians or Europeans???? sorry, am I being anal..? don't mind me then.....LOL!
We were talking about disliking people that harass us by constantly coming to our doors. In my area, that's Mormons and Southern Baptists. I was explaining that while I dislike the practice, I can like the people. As long as they leave me alone.