Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Next time, I'm goin' to Mexico!

After all is said and done, I will have probably spent at least $7,000-$8,000 on this surgery. Plus, I had to wait about 9 months from when I decided to have it, to get it done. I should have just gone to Mexico. I could have gotten it for about the same out-of-pocket cost AND gotten a more experienced surgeon. Now, I'm not knocking my surgeon, she's great and I love her to death. But the fact is, she hasn't done that many bands, compared to a lot of the Mexican docs.

So, I think that if I ever have to have anything else done (elective, anyway), I'm going to Mexico.

I was so impressed with my doc, the hospital, the medical care, the works that I can't imagine going anywhere else for my.....

TUMMY TUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YEA ME!

Sorry, had to get that out for the day. :o

What I loved about Mexico is that my doctor gave me his cell phone number! It's been 3 years since I was banded. I recently had to talk to him about another problem I was having and I just picked up the phone and he answered! You cant get that in the US.

If I ever do plastics, I will most definitely go to Mexico. I just can't see spending the kind of money docs charge in the U.S.

If you can get better quality care for less money in MX why not??

If I ever do plastics, I will most definitely go to Mexico. I just can't see spending the kind of money docs charge in the U.S.

If you can get better quality care for less money in MX why not??

The doc I am scheduled with is creepy, he's very skilled and I've seen his work but I don't like him. I just want to smack the arrogance right out of him each time I see him. He wears this silly blue smock and had creepy little eyes.

He's just so arrogant! I hate arrogant!

I am going to try to get a consult with one more doc before December. It would still be done at the same hospital just by a different plastics guy.

I've seen the creepy doc's work and he really is amazing. A person I know had a face lift and TT and she looks GREAT! She's 60 and she doesn't look like a 60 y/o trying to look 20, she looks like a sexy 50 y/o. He really is very good and I should just shut my mouth and go to him and get it over with. You know how when the doc is very good and more than capable but there is no doctor/patient chemistry? It's like that.

So I want to meet one more doc and then I'll decide from there.

But price... in the US the procedure I'll be having (TT with lipo) is $10,600 and on top of that is some special insurance for PS complications since my major medical wouldn't likely cover it, then pre op labs and meds on top of that. So around $12K. In Mexico with an equally skilled surgeon is $4K in and out the door. That's a really big difference.

I forgot the cost for breast implants and a lift in the US but in Mexico it ranges from $3800 to $6K. It depends on the implants I would choose, the hospital, the doc, the city, the works.

I totally admit that I am impressed with Mexico for surgery. They have to work hard and do a good job, they have to work twice as hard for half the recognition just for the mere fact that they are in Mexico. They have to depend on reputation or they get no future business, or very little of it. So they do go the extra mile for patients. It really shows.

Another thing, many of these procedures are now done on an out patient basis in the US. A TT carries a LOT more risk than banding. Mortality for TTs is almost 2%. Or, 1%-3% depending on the study you read. Yet it's done as an out patient procedure many times in the US. Both a TT and boob job. In Mexico it is a minimum of two nights in the hospital and the rest in a hotel. I'm told to expect to be in Mexico either at the hospital or hotel for a week. Creepy doc says he does not do Medical Tourism. He said if I do not agree to stay a week and be seen a minimum of once daily, typically twice, he won't do the surgery.

I don't even have to go to the hospital or his office for the follow up visits during that week, he comes to the hotel each morning and each evening.

A guy in Tijuana that I really like a great deal said the same thing. Only his was 10 days. Maybe a week but plan on 10 days just in case, he said he won't do Medical Tourism. It's all or none. I really prefer him but I want the surgery in Mexicali.

The Mexicali and TJ doc said I would either have to arrange follow up care in the US before scheduling surgery in Mexico or return weekly for a month, my choice. That's another of many reasons for wanting it done in Mexicali, it's only 3.5 hours from Phoenix and TJ is about 6.5/7.0 hours from Phoenix. Besides, I don't want to go to TJ.

There was one doc in Nogales (armpit of Mexico) and she was the cheap one. Breast lift and implants for $3800, one night in a clinic, go home and return in 3 days for a suture check and I'm done. I remove the sutures after "X" days. I don't think so.

The differences in the US vs. Mexico are night and day. There is no comparison.

I'm with you.... fortune 500 companies aren't the only ones who can benefit from outsourcing!

Grace...

I know I already commented but I still love this quote. Priceless!

All the people that scream and swear for people going to Mexico for surgery and giving them the business vs. the US docs... I'm going to steal your quote and use it!

It's the TRUTH!!!!

One day, and soon like within the next 5 years this will be an acceptable practice. NAFTA will soon become NAFMA. North Atlantic Free Medical Agreement.

We are treating illegals already and taxpayers are paying for it (not debating...just stating a fact) So why can't good taxpayers go to Mexico to SAVE that same money?

And for every horror story in Mexico about botched surgeries... there are 2 here in the US...so I don't buy into that.

Viva Mexio :cool:

What I loved about Mexico is that my doctor gave me his cell phone number! It's been 3 years since I was banded. I recently had to talk to him about another problem I was having and I just picked up the phone and he answered! You cant get that in the US.

You can get that in the US . My doc is accessible 24/7 to his patients ! and he was only a few thousand more than going to mexico

Mindy

Wasa- Rephrasing my question.. so you're paying 4k for the surgery?

I have been a Mexico advocate since my experience there. I am amazed at the prejudice I sometimes see from people who have never been or done research on this option.

Dr. Rumbaut was amazing ..it was so wonderful to be banded by someone who has a band. I would do it again in a heartbeat.