Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PROGRAM FEE?! You're kidding, right?

wow wow wow... That is crazy?! $50k.. Did you have to pay 10% of that??? that blows my mind.. I am glad to learn the hospital that I chose isn't the only one who has this "program fee" .. It sounded odd to me at first, but I guess if that's what they do.. oh well:) I'll take my own advice this time, and "suck it up buttercup".. lol Thanks all!!:eek:

I had a $128 program fee. I guess it's for support group, etc. I honestly am not sure. I just gave them the money! My doctor is worth every penny plus! I wouldn't have gone to another doctor for nothin'!!!

I am so glad i went to Mexico. So many of the Dr.s here are so greedy. I had to pay 1100 dollars up front to a fill Dr. here so i could get fills. What a rip off. Donna

I was shocked to find out about the $750 fee at first and was wondering if this was unusual or if it was the norm. From what I've been reading, it's not that unusual. Then I looked at the fact that everyone I spoke with about this doctor absolutely loved him. I also had the chance to meet with him previously when my husband had to have his gall bladder out and liked him then. The way I understand it is the $750 fee covers things insurance doesn't. I know that includes the program guide. But I think I need to investigate it a little more as I'm not clear on what other things insurance may not cover.

I had to pay the doctor 700 euros and the person that put me to sleep 150 euros and the stay 217 euros. That kind of sucked. I am going to send them to my insurance company to see if they would pay me back for the 3 checks I had to write.

I paid a program fee of $300 then I was turned down by my insurance. The fee was non refundable but they made me pay it before they'd even submit paperwork to the insurance company. I ended up in Mexico.

I haven't actually had the surgery yet, and I went to a seminar (free) about it last night. And today I called the Clinic to make my first consult appointment. But right now I feeling a tad overwhelmed. I'm probably getting a head of myself though.

Anyway, I was looking at the paper work in the information package from the seminar, and the Clinic I'm with only charges for the Surgery. And if you happen to have gone to one of their seminars they bulk bill you for the other appointments.

I understand your frustration. I walked out on my lapband surgery because Dr. Mejias called me 7 days before my surgery and said that "the part insurance didn't pay" was due before surgery or no surgery. I could have come up with the money but felt his policy was unfair! Even more unfair... I had to have my gall bladder out on July 25th and had to have that paid for by my Oct 9th(would have been yesterday) surgery date. I did that so that should have been proof I paid my bills. His office manager also gave out personal information about me by phone. Why? Because we allow them to treat us this way. If more people would walk out they wouldn't jerk us around.

wow wow wow... That is crazy?! $50k.. Did you have to pay 10% of that??? that blows my mind.. I am glad to learn the hospital that I chose isn't the only one who has this "program fee" .. It sounded odd to me at first, but I guess if that's what they do.. oh well:) I'll take my own advice this time, and "suck it up buttercup".. lol Thanks all!!:Banane30:
They discounted a bunch of it, but I still had to pay a load of money. I had a $3,000 deductible to pay and then had to pay $888.88 to the surgeon, almost $2,500 to the hospital, $308.00 to the anesthesiologist, some to the pathologist, etc.

I had my surgery in Tijuana Mexico with Dr Kuri had it scheduled in less then a months time. 500.00 deposit but is taken on the total of 7500.00. I am very impressed with the Dr and the hospital. I have lost 15lbs had op on 09/28/07.

Anita

Dr Kuri

Tijuana Mexico

My surgeon charged $500 program fee but its used for the support groups the mandatory pre-op banding class that I had to go too and the "banding bible" they gave us at the class and then it also goes towards the cost of meeting with the nutritionist. I've met with her 4 times and haven't paid any more... I plan on getting my money's worth!!

I have to pay a $325 program fee but that includes a 12 week follow program. The follow-up program consists of 12 weeks (3 hours a week) exercise program at their center with a cardiologist available to check vitals, blood pressure, etc.. Nutritional counseling, nutritional handouts, supports groups, and more. It's refundable if I'm not apporved for surgery. I wouldn't be happy if I was paying that money out of pocket and wasn't getting anything in return.

Jenn

My program fee was $2000 but it seems fair since it covers the Psychologist ($500), unlimited meetings with the nutritionist, a three month membership with the local gym, complete with a trainer to help get back on track with exercise, and all the pre-op foods and a months worth of post-op Protein drinks.

I'm probably the luckiest one here - aside from the $2000 program fees, I don't have to pay a penny. I reached my max out-of pocket ($350) earlier in the year. I read about all the money that some of you have to pay and some of you even leave the country (I can't imagine that!). I really appreciate my good fortune.