Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

completly discouraged

Hi All, I am completly discouraged with my banding. I have 2cc in a 4cc band and I have not lost anything since post-op. I was banded March 14th 2007. I have kept aprox 28lbs off but had loss 21lbs pre-op so I've only loss about 7lbs with the band. I can eat anything/amount without any problem. Everything I read pre-op said I would feel full and not be able to over eat without being sick, what to He#%, I don't have this feeling. I just needed to vent, I woud appreciate any constructive advice or any simular situations that have turned out to be possitive. I am desperate to make this work. thanks in advance.

hang in there! it takes time to find the right level of restriction so you get that signal to stop! Sounds like you need another fill if you can eat without any limit. The fact you aren't gaining is a GREAT thing! Think where you'd might be otherwise without all this effort.

Get back to your doc's office and talk to them. Try logging your calories (every single thing that goes in your mouth- mints, gum, in addition to food) and see if you are really where you think you are intake wise- consider weighing your food also. I thought 4 oz was a lot more than it really is!

You can do it!

it took me about 9 months to get to the right restriction just keep at it. get the fills!!!. i have only lost 50 lbs in 14 months but think of all i would have gained without the band in that time period. and make sure you don't have a leak i had a leak in my port after it was repaired life is much different!!

I was banded just a few days after you were and I've only lost 3-4 lbs since the original weight loss. It really is discouraging. I've had 9 fills and now have 3.5 in my 4 cc band. I'm feeling some restriction now and finally felt any at all with my second-to-the-last fill. I really think it just takes time and some of us need to have a lot of restriction before it works. I have another fill scheduled next week and I'm hopeful it will really do it for me because I'm feeling close. I can still eat about 1 1/2-2 c. of food at dinner and just a bit less than that at Breakfast. Like others have said, I'm glad I haven't gained! I'm exercising 3-4 times a week and keeping my calories around 1200 (I record them on sparkpeople.com).

I think another couple of factors for me (and maybe for you as well) besides inadequate fill is that I started with a lower BMI, I'm 58 years old, and I've had unbelievable stress these past 6 months (my dad was diagnosed with colon cancer the day I was banded and died a few weeks ago, I've traveled to both coasts to help deliver two new grandsons, we've sold and moved out of two houses, we're building another home and trying to furnish it, we've been "homeless" for two months and living with our daughter's family, etc., etc.). It's been just unbelievable and I know I would have gained a lot of weight during this time but I've maintained and some weeks lost a half pound or so.

Sorry to ramble but I do know where you are coming from and totally understand your discouragement. I was encouraged by hippmom's comments that it took her 9 months to get the right restriction. That would have been VERY discouraging to me 6 months ago but now it's just around the corner. We can do this!!! We will do this!!!!! Good luck to you.

Hi All, I am completly discouraged with my banding. I have 2cc in a 4cc band and I have not lost anything since post-op. I was banded March 14th 2007. I have kept aprox 28lbs off but had loss 21lbs pre-op so I've only loss about 7lbs with the band. I can eat anything/amount without any problem. Everything I read pre-op said I would feel full and not be able to over eat without being sick, what to He#%, I don't have this feeling. I just needed to vent, I woud appreciate any constructive advice or any simular situations that have turned out to be possitive. I am desperate to make this work. thanks in advance.

You actually answered your own question with your post. "I can eat antyling/amount without any problem". With good restriction you can only eat 1/4 cup of food. You need a fill! Good luck.:clap2:

I just had my 6th fill, i'm at 3.8 cc's in a 4 cc's band and feel some restriction.

I've dieted and worked out hard the first 9 months in order to lose the weight. So hang in there, the restriction takes time for some of us, others get it right in the beginning. We're all different.

At 2.0 cc's - I had nothing, I too could anything, but I tried to diet and watch what I ate to help me lose. Now that I have some restriction, I"m hoping the band will help me out! :)

You actually answered your own question with your post. "I can eat antyling/amount without any problem". With good restriction you can only eat 1/4 cup of food. You need a fill! Good luck.:clap2:

Julie,

Once again 1/4 cup of food is not enough to get appropriate nutrition in.

Hi Wasa,

I am one of the people who has been marveling at your progress. I am scheduled for my second fill on Friday and even after numerous conversations with the nutritionist ( who is great) and others I am still confused as to the proper amount I should be able to eat. My impression from her was that 1/4 cup was really too little and she was not aiming for that for me. How much have you been eating with your excellent weight loss?

Hi Wasa,

I am one of the people who has been marveling at your progress. I am scheduled for my second fill on Friday and even after numerous conversations with the nutritionist ( who is great) and others I am still confused as to the proper amount I should be able to eat. My impression from her was that 1/4 cup was really too little and she was not aiming for that for me. How much have you been eating with your excellent weight loss?

You really shouldn't go by my eating habits, they aren't great.

I usually prefer Protein shakes one or two times a day but they really do kill my hunger. That doesn't always work for others. Then for dinner I have a mega salad. I'm talking HUGE. It takes me hours to eat but I love it. tuna salad, veggie salad, chef's salad, something like that. Even with my mega salad I stick to 600 calories daily, also not what my doc suggests. :eek:

Or Chinese food, mixed veggies, chicken (wanting to switch to tofu instead), etc.

I avoid all white carbs. Rarely does a white carb pass my lips. That and exercise have been key for me.