Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is the scale lying to me (and making me binge)?

Hello, all! According to my scale, I've dropped about six pounds in the past month. However, I just went to the nutritionist yesterday afternoon and her scale only says I have lost one pound. My original appointment with her was in the morning, and this appointment was in the afternoon, but could that account for the wide difference?

I'm doing everything right with my eating, except for one or two meals I couldn't calculate so I didn't record. (One was Ethiopian food. The other way Uyghur food.) However, the thought of eating well and only losing one pound made me very upset with myself, and so I started bingeing a little last night and also ate two snack cakes on my way into work this morning. I know this is bad, especially as it demonstrates that disappointments trigger bad eating patterns.

Curious to know what everyone thinks about this.

10 minutes ago, Arthur Dent said:

Curious to know what everyone thinks about this.

I generally stay off the scale. I only weigh in once or twice a month and focus on the aspects that really matter, such as my improving health and the more flattering fit of my clothes.

If you weigh yourself on 10 different scales, you'll get 10 different weights. This is why it's important to not fixate on the number on the scale. It's unimportant in the long run. Your scale probably is calibrated differently than the one at your doctor's office.

Also, our weight can fluctuate wildly from hour to hour. We tend to be lightest upon awakening. You'll gain Water weight by gulping a pint or two of water. You'll gain more temporary weight after each meal.

Meanwhile, if you defecate a large poopy turd or urinate a lot, you'll lose temporary weight. You'll also lose water weight after perspiration due to a hot day or intense workout.

The moral of the story? Stay off the scale unless necessary.

Edited by Introversion

1 hour ago, Introversion said:

If you weigh yourself on 10 different scales, you'll get 10 different weights.

This is EXACTLY what I was thinking!

1 hour ago, Arthur Dent said:

However, the thought of eating well and only losing one pound made me very upset with myself

I understand this, I really do, but you need to get out of that frame of mind. You need to eat healthy for health sake, not to lose weight. After all there will come a time when you hit your goal weight or a weight where you are happy at, you wouldn't then stop eating healthy just because you are not losing any more weight, right?

Edited by Navigating the Wilderness