Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

reflux with bariatric surgery

I had my lap band removed about two months ago, after having it five years. Acid reflux had become so bad everything I ate or tried to eat made me so sick. My surgeon said gastric bypass would help with the reflux. My insurance will pay for the conversion; but I would like some info from anyone who's had the conversion because of reflux. I still need to lose some weight but I am considering the bypass to help the reflux. I would appreciate hearing from you.

I had RNY because of GERD, but it wasn't a conversion (it was my original surgery). Cured it. There are a lot of people who've had this revision because of reflux, though - I'm hoping some will see and respond to your message.

I had severe acid reflux before my RNY gastric bypass surgery. That was one of the reasons why I chose RNY over sleeve. Sleeve will only make the condition worse. I had my surgery 4 years ago and have not been bothered by severe acid reflux since. Sometimes dumping syndrome will mimic this condition. This generally happens when I exceed my food limit. I can detect the pre-triggers to dumping syndrome, and generally I just stop eating at that point.

After surgery, my surgeon put me on Omeprazole [Prilosec OTC] for the first year after surgery in order to allow my stomach to heal properly. This is what I used to treat the condition prior to surgery. So I couldn't tell during the first year that it was really in remission. But now 4 years out from surgery, I have not been bothered by severe acid reflux (GERD) and have not taken any Omeprazole since the first year.

James and Catwoman,

Thank you for your replies. My bariatric surgeon told me when he removed my lap band that gastric bypass would help my reflux but he said I should wait about three months. I thought perhaps the reflux would go away with the lap band gone. The only relief I've gotten is food doesn't get stuck but my esophagus and stomach burn constantly and I have no appetite for food. The prospect of dumping has worried me a little but, frankly, I just really can't go on living in this condition. Thank you for giving me hope I may eventually be free of this horrid condition.

actually, a majority of bypass patients don't dump. I never have. The statistic I've seen thrown around on these boards a lot is that only 30% dump. I don't know if there's any hardcore research behind that figure, but suffice it to say, there are tons of us who've never dumped. Even among "dumpers", you can avoid it by not pigging out on sugar or fat (some dumpers can't really handle either at all - some can handle them in small amounts)

Catwoman,

I sort of think sugar may be bad for my reflux; so I need to get a handle on that anyway. Problem is, I love sweets. That's probably what put on my weight in the first place. Right now, though, not even sweets appeal to me. I called my bariatric surgeon and left a message I need to make an appointment. One thing holding me back is the thought of going through what I went through with the lapband and not getting relief. That's why I appreciate hearing from bypass patients.