Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hesitant on Diet choices

Hi all, I was sleeved on June 9. My doctor requires Days 1-3 Clear Liquids and Days 4-14 full liquids. I'm close to my 64 oz liquid goals and about 40g of Protein right now. In a day I usually have Protein Shake, several cups of Bone Broth (throughout the day), Vitamin Water zero, Protein2o clear Protein Drink, and water. My list of approved stuff includes cream Soups, sf pudding, sf Jello, and drinkable consistency yogurts. There are no restrictions listed as far as sugar content, carbs, sodium, fat, calories, etc. I guess in my mind I'm still thinking that way. My husband bought me some low fat yogurt smoothies at Trader Joe's which have 24g of sugar! I think I'm just wondering what's most important to pay attention to? I know I was told my protein shake should have less than 2g of sugar... does that go for everything else? Is low fat super important? I'm going to call my NUT in the morning but just wondering if anyone has any advice. TIA :).

Early on healing is the focus. That's why they likely don't want you being terribly restrictive.

But you did see with the yogurt the caveat of "low fat", which often is substituted with sugar or sodium or both. The liver converts those extra carbs (i.e. sugar) into fat anyways if you don't utilize the immediate energy it brings, so there's no escaping with gimmicks like "low fat".

I had yogurt drinks early on that were 19g of sugar, just didn't have more than one or two a day. Once I was able to eat more Protein dense food, I made sure not to touch stuff like yogurt drinks. Nothing that would digest quickly and have simple carbs, unless I needed the energy.

Edited by PatientEleventyBillion

I'm on restricted carbs and in deep ketosis. Because of that I know I'm burning fat. My shakes are very low carb and I've switched from things like Tomato Soup and re fried Beans to egg salad and chicken salad. It's way more filling. In the early phases it's less important because you barely hit 500 calories. As I've started eating most of my calories I've shifted. Idk what your NUT wants you to do but since she made a note about the shakes I'm going to assume she wouldn't be thrilled with the Trader Joe's shake (I bet it's delicious though).

8 minutes ago, Joann454 said:

I'm on restricted carbs and in deep ketosis. Because of that I know I'm burning fat. My shakes are very low carb and I've switched from things like Tomato Soup and re fried Beans to egg salad and chicken salad. It's way more filling. In the early phases it's less important because you barely hit 500 calories. As I've started eating most of my calories I've shifted. Idk what your NUT wants you to do but since she made a note about the shakes I'm going to assume she wouldn't be thrilled with the Trader Joe's shake (I bet it's delicious though).

Deep ketosis.. is that like swimming in a pool of ketones? ;)

I followed a Keto way of eating for six months prior to my surgery (and lost 99 pounds before surgery day), so I wouldn't eat all of those carbs during the early days like my NUT wanted me to. I just didn't want to go through the transition to ketosis all over again (because it is heinous).

That being said, it's a personal choice. If you haven't been doing keto or low carb, it probably won't hurt you in the early days. If you have, you might want to think about it.

Thanks everyone! I do have to watch my blood sugar so I'm still in the habit of checking carbs first and foremost. I have been doing low carb for a while now so I think I will try to stick with that. I know it is really rough when you stop doing low carb and then try to get back to it! Not a huge fan of yogurt anyways so I'm okay passing that up. I opted for some low sodium Tomato / red pepper Soup (only half a serving for now).