Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gas, bloating, etc. + any traveling for the surgery?

I'm just wondering how you all felt coming out of surgery. I know it varies person to person, but I'm curious to hear from many. How was the bloating and gas feeling (I don't handle gas pains well to begin with)? I've been seeing that many people have been vomiting directly after surgery. I'm also worried about the catheter. I've never had one put in and the thought makes me freak out a little.

The next part of this is I live in Massachusetts and am flying to Florida to have my sleeve procedure. How did you feel flying back home if you did? My date is June 27th and I come home July 8th (getting into Florida on June 25th).

Walk walk walk! It sounds stupid and everyone says it! I flew 3 days post-op. Not painful but exhausting. Wear compression socks and move your feet around. I walked so much in the hospital and didn't have any gas pain! I had a band 1 1/2 years ago and the gas pain was the worst pain I had ever felt. So I walked and 2alked and walked. Worked! No gas pain at all. I am not 5 days post-op from a band to sleeve revision.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using BariatricPal mobile app

Sorry...i hit reply too fast. I didn't have a catheter because they wanted me up and walking right away. I did have a drip line for 24 hours. But that clipped onto my pants. It was much easier than the band surgery. I flew to Mexico to have it done and flew home 3 days post-op. Request wheelchair transfers to gates. It's fast and easy and will save you. I was so exhausted but not in pain. And so thankful for the help!

I was so scared of the pain. But it wasn't bad at all. I threw up one time. The first time I took a sip of Water. It's perfectly normal. You can get nausea meds if it's a problem.

They told me that most people that have vomiting and diareah after surgery are the ones that don't follow the pre-op diet. I did a 5 week high Protein, low sugar diet and a 3 day liquid diet right before surgery. I followed it perfectly. I was terrified of failing and having to fly home while sick. So no cheats. I lost 23 pounds and never had nausea or diarrhea. My lapband surgery was hell. Ita been pretty easy in comparison. You'll be fine. You'll be almost 2 weeks post-op by then. You'll be feeling great. Follow instructions and relax. You are going to do great!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using BariatricPal mobile app

I didn't have nausea or diarrhea either. There is "gas" pain initially but it's not typical, feels like a stomach ache but agree with the walk walk walk. Didn't have a catheter either. I flew 2 weeks later and was fine.

I had very little nausea or gas, they also had removed the catheter by time I woke up. Everyone has a different experience coming out of surgery.

I know everyone is different, I was just looking for some tips in case I happen to have the same situation as all. The 2 week pre op liquid diet is hard but today is better than yesterday. It's getting easier. Thank you for the replies! And I will definitely have a wheelchair ready as per my surgeon as we leave 5 days after surgery.