Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Yep. I did it in Mexico

Hardly anyone knows that i had weight-loss surgery...AGAIN! and even few people know that I went to Mexico to have my band to sleeve revision. I'm 5 days post-op. (June 8 2017). I'm not sure if I'm ready to recommend it to all of my friends yet...however...I followed their pre-op without a single cheat. I lost 23 pounds in the pre-op diet but even more importantly I have been pain free. No gas pains. No about pains. Flying home only 3 days post-op was excruciating but only because it was so exhausting. So I may be getting closer to recommending it. My insurance is great as long as you don't mention weight-loss surgery. So my lapband surgeon actually recommended Mexico and the hospital. My revision was going to be about $28k in the US. Mexico was $4900. That's a big incentive.

If you're going to Mexico here are some things I learned. I'm writing them down here so I don't forget too...

Bring...

Your own towel or two

Your own pillow (I brought mine and it helped

having it in the hospital and on the plane)

Baby wipes for the bathroom. It gets messy.

Water shoes (a lot of women wore slippers

but I've never been real good at them. Plus

I could keep these on while sleeping. And

you need them for the shower anyway)

Giant sanitary pads (Mother Nature is a b***h

and I got my period the day after surgery.

Tampons were not happening. Plus it

helps with the surprise "juice fart")

Extension cord for plugging in phone

chargers and cpap machines

Your own bandages and tape. For after you

leave the hospital.

I also brought juice and Protein Shakes in my

checked baggage. I wasn't sure what they

had for a liquid diet and if I was going to

like it. They had Jello and broth and they

were delicious.

My US surgeon also gave me a prescription

for nausea and pain for the flight home. I

ended up not needing either but I was so

glad it was there just in case.

Lysol/Clorox Wipes...I'm a bit of a germ freak

Clothes. They have gowns of course but you

will be up walking around so much you

need something else. I wore loose Capri

pull-on pants and giant tshirts. Several sets. Not

fancy.

Loose comfy old panties

Compression socks. Several pairs. They have

their own and they are stickers about

keeping them on until you get home! I

understand the importance. But so glad I

had brought a couple of pairs.

A very supportive person to go with you. My

husband is a super hero without a cape.

Unlike my roommates friend she brought.

Gave her a sip of her beer she snuck into

the hospital! No joke!!! A drink of beer

about 24 hours out of surgery!

Which brings me to this...whatever you can get private room!! They have them. I saw them. My roommate was so annoying! A phone and a tablet going all day and night with loud games and videos...even at 3am!!! I probably should have brought her some headphones! Bring yourself some too. At least some ear plugs.

One of the best things I did was set up a private Facebook Group with only 9 of my closest friends and family that knew what was going on. I could keep everyone updated (in the terribly spotty WiFi service. Don't believe the free WiFi pitch. It's there. sometimes. If you're lucky.) Anyway, my husband kept everyone updated there too after surgery until I was coherent enough. It was great. I loved seeing that everyone was praying for me. It was fun. Like home.

Again, I'm not ready to fully recommend it. Maybe soon. I hear a lot of people wake up from surgery with "what did I just do?"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using BariatricPal mobile app

Congrats on your procedure!

That roommate sounds like a nightmare. But I guess if that's the worst of it, you are doing well! Lol.

I went to Mexico also, I was sleeved on 6/1. My experience was similar, but no roommate and my daughter went with me. I went to florence Direct Care, with Dr. Camelo, where did you go for surgery? If it wasn't for the roommate and your food afterwards, our experiences sounds the same lol..

Sent from my SM-N920P using BariatricPal mobile app

I was at Mexico Bariatric Center. It did its job. There were things I didn't like. But I didn't pay for marble statues, stained glass, and arches. I paid for a good inexpensive sleeve. All the basics were there. They knew what they were doing. Healing well. How are you?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using BariatricPal mobile app