Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sudden loss of restriction

Hi Everyone

Although I don't post very often, I read this board nearly every day and I have found it to be an invaluable source of information and support. Thank you all :clap2:!!!!

I was banded in early August and had my first fill five weeks later (2.4cc in a 4cc band). Even though the process has not been completely easy and painless (I have had approximately 4 minor PB incidents during this "learning time"), I had excellent restriction for the first three weeks and actually felt as if I had come very close to reaching my "sweet spot." During those weeks I lost 13 pounds.

Then a few days ago the band seemed to loosen quite suddenly. I still feel some restriction, but not nearly as much as I had before. I am watching what I eat very carefully, but wouldn't be surprised if I was able to eat quite a lot (although I don't plan to test this).

I am sooo disappointed at this turn of events, and I want my wonderful restriction back :think!

I am being told (and have read elsewhere) that what I am experiencing is quite normal after the first fill, and that subsequent fills (hopefully the second) should be more lasting.

I feel reassured by this information, but would still like to have feedback from others.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

~WT~

weight.png

I am being told (and have read elsewhere) that what I am experiencing is quite normal after the first fill, and that subsequent fills (hopefully the second) should be more lasting.

I feel reassured by this information, but would still like to have feedback from others.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

~WT~

weight.png

Yes, Yes, Yes. I'm on my 6th fill! I'm at 3.8 cc's in a 4 cc band. I'm hoping the restriction I have today will last. I just got the fill yesterday. The doc says I'm a rare case, but I find a lot of people in the forum have had the same problem. But the doc snuck up on my fill this time, (eased the saline solution in slowly - vs rushing a fill).

Yes, Yes, Yes. I'm on my 6th fill! I'm at 3.8 cc's in a 4 cc band. I'm hoping the restriction I have today will last. I just got the fill yesterday. The doc says I'm a rare case, but I find a lot of people in the forum have had the same problem. But the doc snuck up on my fill this time, (eased the saline solution in slowly - vs rushing a fill).

Ok ok ok! I thought I was the only one around here that had so much fill in my band and still felt that I wasn't properly restricted. I am currently at 3.75 cc in a 4cc band. I've only lost about 7 lbs since mid July which was the last fill I had. My doctor retired at the end of July and since then I have not found a new doctor. I am very happy that I have lost 62 lbs since Nov 28, 2006 but feel that I need more restriction. Do you think many doctors will fill you to the maximum fill volume?

Hi Julie and Tonya,

Thank you SO much for the feedback. Having this info straight from real, live, experienced bandsters makes me feel 1000% better.

I have another quick question for you and/or anyone else who would like to respond: How long on average do your fills seem to last?

I did lose another two pounds when I weighed in this morning -- so go figure. Hopefully the weight I have lost will stay off until I can get my second fill early next month.

Missy, 62 pounds is excellent!!! Good job -- and best of luck finding a new Doc!

Thanks again! :clap2:

~WT~

weight.png

Wt, I have had some fills last 2 weeks and others last a month. Since I've been banded 16 months I probably have had 12 fills, some unfills. I had a fill a week ago then 5 days later I went in for another since he only gave me a little bit. It just depends on your body. If you lose weight you can definitely feel the difference with your fills since the fatty tissue on the stomach disappears. Hope this answers your question.

Ok ok ok! I thought I was the only one around here that had so much fill in my band and still felt that I wasn't properly restricted. I am currently at 3.75 cc in a 4cc band. I've only lost about 7 lbs since mid July which was the last fill I had. My doctor retired at the end of July and since then I have not found a new doctor. I am very happy that I have lost 62 lbs since Nov 28, 2006 but feel that I need more restriction. Do you think many doctors will fill you to the maximum fill volume?

I think most doctors will fill you to the maximum, I know my doc will. My fill doctor and my surgeon are different. My surgeon only does the surgery, then his partner does the fills. He also does fills for people who were banded by somewhere else. I asked him about being filling to the max, and he said we will keep filling until I have restriction, even if its 5cc's. He said the band can hold 5cc's and probably more, but the manufactor says only to 5cc's.

I have another quick question for you and/or anyone else who would like to respond: How long on average do your fills seem to last?

Thats a million dollar question, my fills have all been so different, and lasted different lengths of time. My first fill lasted the longest, then the 2nd fill was nothing, the 3rd fill lasted good again, and since then, my fills haven't even lasted thru the weekend (max 2 days). The fill I recently got (my 6th), seems to be working, I'm 2 days out and have some restriction - I'm not sure its enough, but for now I'm going to stick with it and see how I do. I have no problems getting things stuck at all. But when I eat, I can now feel the food passing thru my band, or if I eat too fast, I can feel it in the back of my throat sometimes, which to me tells me I have a band!!!

I think everyone is different, so you just have to see. The key to knowing if you need another fill is the following:

1) If you eat slow, (take about 15 to 20 min to eat max 1 cup of food), are you full after you eat for 15 to 20 min?

2) Do you stay satisfied for 4 hours? If your getting hungry in 2 hours - my doc says even at 3 hours, its time for a fill.

These are the two keys that my doc uses to see if you need another fill.

Hi Julie,

I am doing well. Thankfully, I do still have a certain amount of restriction and I am trying to stay on a high protein/low carb diet for now. It definitely isn't as easy as it was during those three blissful weeks of excellent restriction, but it isn't too bad either.

That said, I am very much looking forward to my next fill in about 4 more weeks.

Thanks for asking -- everything good with you?

~WT~

:thumb:

Hi WT. Yes, I am doing really well. I went in for a fill last Friday to 3.2 which is much higher for me. So far, I have lost about 3 lbs I think. So that is exciting for me. I'm considered a slow loser at 1 lb per week so I am happy. I am down 65 lbs and 3 sizes since surgery. Good luck!

I have also had one fill so far and due for my next fill on tuesday. I had good restriction at first but I can eat more now. I still get food stuck if I eat too fast though. hope the next one will be good and last.

Hi Julie,

Congratulations on your weight loss and the success of your most recent fill :cheer2:!!!

Haizel, good luck with your upcoming fill :)!

I have managed to lose another two pounds in the past few days, which brings my weight loss up to a total of 4 pounds this week -- so I guess I must be more restricted than I actually feel.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

~WT~

weight.png