Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Watchers

I have a question - does anyone do Weight Watchers with the band?

I mean actually go to the meetings and all?

I'm thinking of joining it... the band is working great for me so far but I'm wondering if going weekly and weighing with someone, seeing progress on paper would help me eat healthier...

Hi Crystal-

I got banded on 9-17-07 but my dr. won't fill for 3 months so yesterday I joined Weight watchers and I will be going to the weekly meetings. I am ready to eat healthier and am ready to loose weight now. As of now I have no restriction so I am hoping WW will help me out for now.

I'm not banded yet, but I will be starting WW next week. I know they would like me to try to lose some weight before. I am interested though to read what others have to say in terms of this.

my doc recommends WW for people who are banded but are still having problems losing weight.

I think the advantage is that you have more structured guidelines regarding intake (calories) and weekly weigh ins can help some to keep on track.

Other people can do more on their own (fitday.com; sparkpeople etc) with logging food and counting calories burned/eaten.

they all are good in that the band alone isn't enough- you still have to watch what you are putting in your mouth

good luck!

I'm going to try the Core plan with Weight Watchers. On that you eat from a list of foods until you fill 'full' or satiety. Sounds just like the way to go with the band.

I had always said that once I had my band, I would never "diet" again. However, after having my band for 1 1/2 years, and having experienced some problems, I have recently found myself in need of some help. So, I joined weight watchers online two weeks ago and it has really helped me get back on track and refocused with my weightloss. I don't do meetings, I hate meetings. Online fits perfect with my lifestyle and I love it. My hubby and I are actually the same weight right now. So, we have a personal challenge going to see who can hit 200 first. Wish me luck!

I also recently started weight watchers. I was banded in June of this year, but still need some help with healthy food choices. It definitely helps me keep on track, and keep a daily log of what I'm eating.

And it definitely helps with keeping track of what I am eating and the weekly weigh ins keep me posted as to what I am doing...my weight at Dr's office is slightly different than WW's so the amount I am down keeps getting confusing-but at least it's DOWN....You may not be able to eat all your points...just be sure to get your Water in and try on the fruits and veges....for the most part, I don't recommend coming "out" about the band at the meetings or on their boards.....:spit:

for the most part, I don't recommend coming "out" about the band at the meetings or on their boards.....:spit:

Seriously, they will slam you! A few people on the boards do ask about the band, and I try and give them advice from an actual bandsters point of view.

I have in the past. I think it's great to have the accountability. With a fill, I've never been able to eat all of my points... but some days get closer than one would think.

Another advantage is that if you become a lifetime member, you can use that for continued support. Remember, maintenance is the difficult part of the journey... although weight loss seems tough enough as it is. :rolleyes:

I don't do it with the band bc it never worked for me w/o the band. I am more of a "calorie counter" and the "points" system that WW does is similar but I would always find a way around it.

I know a lot of people who do WW or have, and they really really like it. Everyone is different, so it may work for you.