Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded 10/02/07 & a little worried

Hi everyone. I just got banded on 10/02 and am in San Antonio, TX. I'm so paranoid that my "band is going to slip" that I'm "able to eat too much and something is wrong", that I'll "have acid reflux again", etc, etc. I know this is all new and an adjustment. I had a little nausea, no vommitting thankfully. I think I'm worried that I moved around too much and made the band slip by getting in and out of bed, stretching to pick my jeans up from the floor, etc. At first I felt the constriction of the band, now I can breathe easier, but with that I can drink more liquids as well. My tummy growls once in a while, but I'm not "hungry". I had a little coughing this morning and thought it was reflux, but I think it's the normal sinus drainage I used to get. Oh and I don't think I've lost any weight. My tummy is so swollen as well, still. Is this all "normal"? Also, today is my first day back at work. I work at a call center, so I'll be sitting here about 10 hours today. We'll see how it goes.

Relax Liz! I have never heard of anyone slipping a band by bending over! It is normal to slowly feel less restriction, that just means your insides are going down from the swelling, and your body is healing. You will gradually have to be able to drink more, as your body heals and begins to prepare for real food again!

The band does not magically fix any of our prior issues!! Too bad huh! If you suffered with sinus drainage before, you will continue to----and it might make you seem especially tight or quick to "fill up" once you start eating. Sounds pretty gross, but that junk you swallow is filling your stomach, and taking up room. It is natural, and will pass through same as it did before. But in many cases it makes eating Breakfast a slower process, or one that is easier accomplished just a bit later in the morning.

Acid reflux is a bit trickier. If you had it before, chances are at some point it might return. If it does, the first thing to do is have it checked to make sure you are not too tight, that is an early signal of being too tight. Work with your Dr. to treat it so that your esophagus remains healthy, which is especially important being banded. I had a haital hernia repaired during my banding, and was without reflux for many months, then it come back. Endoscopy shows my hernia has returned, or reopened....not uncommon at all the Dr. said ( not my surgeon, so he was not just covering his tracks!) It is much less now than ever before. I eat less, and there is a lot less weight resting on my stomach area when I lie down---it has to have helped!

Keep drinking your liquids, keep hydrated. If you are sitting at work for 10 hours, be sure to move around as much as possible. Stretch your legs under your desk, rotate your ankles....keep moving. Also remember to breath deeply, fully inflating your lungs. The added oxygen will help overall healing and reduce any chance of pneumonia following surgery (ANY surgery not just lap band) And moving will lessen your risk of blood clots the same way, they are a risk anytime you remain sedentary, especially following surgery.

Swelling is common, and can sometimes take several weeks to go down....seems totally unfair, we have the surgery to slim down, and we start out by all of us looking pregnant!!! But....that too is normal!

Relax, worry about your healthy intake of your fluids at this point. Get some Protein in, and Vitamins...and soon you will be good to go again!!!

Welcome to LBT and Welcome to bandland!!!!

Kat

Hi everyone. I just got banded on 10/02 and am in San Antonio, TX. I'm so paranoid that my "band is going to slip" that I'm "able to eat too much and something is wrong", that I'll "have acid reflux again", etc, etc. I know this is all new and an adjustment. I had a little nausea, no vommitting thankfully. I think I'm worried that I moved around too much and made the band slip by getting in and out of bed, stretching to pick my jeans up from the floor, etc. At first I felt the constriction of the band, now I can breathe easier, but with that I can drink more liquids as well. My tummy growls once in a while, but I'm not "hungry". I had a little coughing this morning and thought it was reflux, but I think it's the normal sinus drainage I used to get. Oh and I don't think I've lost any weight. My tummy is so swollen as well, still. Is this all "normal"? Also, today is my first day back at work. I work at a call center, so I'll be sitting here about 10 hours today. We'll see how it goes.

Yes, you're very normal...feelings, emotions, and probably physically :car: It's normal to be concerned, but my surgeon told me, "if it was that easy for the band to slip, it would never have been FDA approved here in the state and no one would want it." That put my mind at ease.

Your swelling is going down now and yes, unfortuately, the hunger does slowly return. It will most likely take a few fill/adjustments before you get proper restriction (commonly refered to as the "sweet spot"). Until that sweet spot is hit, will power is what we rely on to get past the hunger. Once the sweet spot is hit, and you make good food choices, it becomes easier to stick with the program and drop the pounds.

Welcome to band land :car: and LBT! :wave:

You are normal...I was so worried all the time about the band slipping or doing something wrong...I finally called the doctors office and told them I had a huge knot in my stomach where the large incision was at...the nurse laughed and laughed..she said, "honey, that is your port"...I didn't know you would be able to feel it ,once the swelling went down...I was scared all the time...the nurse told me...don't worry, you would really have to do something bad to mess up this band....so I kinda chilled out and now six months later, I am very relaxed with my band...