Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone know how to take a decent picture?

Okay, now that I have lost 55 lbs, I want to have some pictures taken for various reasons. My daughter and a good friend both have digital cameras.

They have both taken tons of pictures of me. They all look horrible. I still look really fat. Okay, I am still fat. I am 5'2" and I still weigh 160 lbs. Is there a way to take a more flattering picture? Is outside better than inside? Is there a pose that looks sort of natural and not "look at me starring at the camera?"

Do we have anyone here who likes to take pictures and can offer some advice to me?

Photography is all about lighting. Turn off the flash mode and take the photos in a well lit-room (light the room as much as you possibly can, more than you would normally). Don't light yourself, light the environment. Or take the picture outside. If you really want to work it, take the picture at the crack of dawn when the sun is coming up, that's the best light.

But if you really want a nice portrait of yourself, find a professional. Their equipment is better and they have an eye for what they are doing.

good luck.

For what purpose? Are you just wanting something to have, or do you need it for a professional event?

If you want something that looks professional, focus on lighting and composition. If you want something that photgraphs you in a way that maybe helps you appear smaller than you are (flattering is what I read that to mean), then try holding your body at slight angles, focusing on what your body is doing (e.g. are you arms relaxed and splayed everywhere, or held tight to your sides), and doing the turtle neck.

What do you mean, Wheetsin, by doing the turtle neck.

Yea, I would like to look slimmer. I think (and maybe it's my imagination) that those pictures make me look fatter than what I see in the mirror.

I don't want it for a professional event, but I did join EHarmony.

Turtlenecking is when you stick your head out past your chest. Keeping your shoulders still, try to touch a spot about 3" in front of you with your nose, and you're doing it.

In 1d pictures the distance difference doesn't show but it usually will straighten out a double chin. Then again, I've seen some pics where people are clearly doing it (too much) and all their neck tendons are popping out like Lou Ferrigno. People do it all the time to make their face appear more slender, since sticking it out will not only take care of the chin but also tighten the lower half of the face. Note: DON'T turtleneck if you carry your weight in the top of your body, unless you plan to crop out some of the sides of the picture. I see people doing this and it kills me -- here's this "slim" face on a large upper body. It is NOT flattering in pictures.

If you're wanting pictures for eharmoney or similar, I would recommend going with natural shots, not ones that flatter. If you think you're fatter in pics than in person, or just aren't sure, ask a friend or someone you trust whether or not the picture accurately shows your size/feature/etc. Then you'll know whether or not it's "you." But that's just my recommendation - and is worth exactly what you paid for it. :eek:

Hi Denise..whenever I take pictures I am always consciuos that my face will look thinner if I tilt my head slightly and stick my chin out (so my chin fat doesn't show!) I also am aware not to smile TOO wide cos it makes my half-shut! :-) That works pretty well for me !

In terms of making your body look a little more flattering try taking the picture from above pointing down on yourself as this will disguise your heaviness.. Alternatively place the camera on a chest or table and bend forward towards the camera