Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight A Minute!!!

Hi I just saw the dietician to have my metabolic rate calculated. You know how many calories you should eat to lose weight. I asked her what a "good weight for me would be. I am 5'8 and 176. I had been as high as 260. She said 150 to 155. Imagine my surprise!! I know through weight watchers you have a broad range 140 to 170. So I thought maybe she was going to say 165. All this coming from a super skinny gal. I work out and feel great. My blood pressure and chlolesteral are great too. Don't they take that into account. I would like to consult a PS as I would to do something about my "apron".Does anyone have any similiar measurements, weights. etc.??? Thanks:help:

I'm 5'7" and I have been 150ish and I would love to be that weight now (THEN, i thought i was still huge). What amount of calories did they tell you to eat?

Hi She told me 1050 to lose a pound a week and 1320 to lose a half pound a week. I choose 1320. Thanks

I'm 5ft 10 and 163 and although my upper body is now borderning on downright skinny, I still have plenty of meat on me below the waist. I could easily stand to be 15lb lighter than I am now, if I could make it come off the precise spots where I want to lose it from, lol.

I think 150 to 155 sounds like a perfectly fine weight for a 5ft 8 person, absolutely spot on. It wont be super skinny, its nice and safely away from the upper limit of your range and being "overweight", it would be a great goal!

What is your concern with it - were you good surprised or bad surprised?

Yes, you are healthy now, so if you really dont want to lose more, that's up to nobody but yourself.

Personally I feel that if I've gone to the trouble to have surgery, I want an EXCELLENT result from it, I want to be slender, not almost slender. And at 176 and 5ft 10, I was definitely not slender, no way would I have been happy to stop there. I 've lost 13lb more since that weight, the muffin top has gone, the belly role disappeared, 70% of my cellulite went away and my boobs FINALLY went down to a nice normal D cup. Those last few pounds make a really huge difference in the fine tuning, they are really really worth shedding.

I'm between 5'8'' - 5'9'' and at my lowest adult weight (170) I still felt like I had a good 20 lbs to lose. I agree with Jacqui's post.

Ultimately, you have to be happy where you are- for some people starting way over 300 lbs- that would be a great result. Maybe give yourself some time where you are and then see if you might like to be a bit smaller?

good luck!

I based my goal weight on my DD! She and I are the same height. We both tend to muscle up quickly, she plays competitive volleyball....I always played softball...and I ride, do lots of physical activity. The BMI charts do not take muscle into consideration---my Dr. told me to take them as a rough estimate, but to keep that in mind.

So I looked at her, and decided THAT was where I wanted to be. I figured the age difference would make that a stretch, so I added 10 pounds to it...and made that my goal weight.

I too would like excellent results, who wouldn't!!! And Jacqui--you got them!! But in all truthfulness, if I were to not have this belly---I could be happy where I am. I take no meds, my health is better than it has been in decades---and I fit in clothes, normal clothes, in any store! I feel my band has been a success. I have no intentions of quitting here, but I am not going to kill myself, or stress non stop over the last of this weight---I intend to slowly but surely work my last bit off, and enjoy every day of the process!

I think the question should be ask of you not the dietician---you know you, you know how much you work out, you know how your family tends to carry weight.....the question should be to you---how do you feel? Do you feel like you are at your best where you are? Do you, does your significant other, like your curves? Do you feel like you can live a normal life, and not worry every day and every bite about maintaining THIS weight you are at? Do you think you could do the same at 20 pounds less? What is your general health like? Would it benefit from further loss? Would you find the idea of losing another 20 pounds daunting, or depressing? Does the dietician saying that make you feel like you failed? That is nonsense!!! 176, for your height is a significant loss, and puts you close the the suggested range.

I would not quit....I wouldn't quit working out. I wouldn't quit eating healthy. But if you weighed 20 pounds less, I wouldn't quit either one of those things either! Let your body be your guide....in the meantime enjoy the journey on the way to your destination.....

You have done a great job!!! I cannot wait to get to 176!!

Kat

A lot of what makes up your "ideal weight" is your body fat percentage, not just your BMI. According to the BMI calculators, my ideal weight would be 139-153 lbs, but when I have appointments at my surgeon's office and they do a complete analysis, he tells me that a healthy body fat for me would be 24%, putting me at 199 lbs. That gives me a BMI of 29.4, right on the border of overweight and obese. If you carry more muscle mass than the average person, you are going to going to appear overweight on the BMI charts.

Yes, but as you lose, you lose lean body mass as well. So when you get to 199, you wont have 24% body fat, you'll likely have a bit more.

It is completely inaccurate to measure and obese person's body fat percentage and lean body mass and work out their goal weight that way. Everybody loses significant lean body mass with a large weight loss, it is unavoidable. Healthy loss means minimising this, but it still happens.

But the theory is true - I've been this weight before as a young adult and I'm significantly thinner this time around - due to all the exercise. I'm a whole size smaller than I was at 163ish last time.

I agree with you again, Jacqui- and that's why it amazes me when doctors advise diets that contain only 40 grams of Protein a day! (mine did). Anything you can do to minimize muscle loss is key to helping maintain/boost your BMR which in turn will help with fat burn

HI Just wanted to let everyone to know I appreciate the replies. I have no intention to give up. I just do not want to get " stuck" on a #. I run 3 miles 4x week and bike 20 miles 3x per week. I have always been active. I had a huge appetite. I am in a size 10 slacks. I work @ Curves. I just think everything has to be taken into account. I did this for my health, not to be be "slender". Personally I am amazed at how many people have this surgery and do no exercise. Thank You

I agree, I think it must be an entire lifestyle change for it to be as successful as possible.

You telling what all you do, just makes the point, that you will carry more poundage than someone of the same size without any muscle....and we all know which one is best off!!!

I love my local Curves!!!!! I did go into it hoping to be slender...but mainly I wanted to live, and with all the meds and health issues, I was not going to live as long as I hoped to, and the quality would have been greatly diminished as well. I am healthy once again....at least my numbers are all good....now I am working on the slender!!!!

Kat

Yes, I had no major health issues, I was frightened of developing them, but basically I was still in excellent health and well able to begin running quite soon after my surgery. So for me, the focus of this operation has ALWAYS been appearances. I wanted to look good dammit. So I'm quite focussed on getting my weight down quite low. I can appreciate that a lot of people are just happy to be healthier.

176 is fine. What size are you in? I'm 219 and would be happy at 180-200. I just want to fit into a 14/16. I am a size 18 now. 150 is too low. I would look anorexic.