Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am feeling frustrated with my slow progress, at least it seems slow compared to that of a lot of others who post here. I am now almost six weeks post op and have only lost 19 pounds. Fourteen of those were in the first two weeks, which means I've lost only five pounds in four weeks.

I wouldn't be unhappy about it if I could say "Well I don't feel restricted and I'm eating a bunch" and then get a fill and "do better," but I do feel restricted, and I'm not eating a bunch. I'm certainly eating way less than I ever used to. I can manage to finish one slice of pizza. Is this typical or atypical? Should I not be able to finish a whole slice?

I don't always get my Protein Shake in. Would this slow down my weight loss significantly?

Today so far, I've eaten a boxed meal of chickpeas and potatoes in a spicy Tomato sauce, which had two hundred calories (12 grams protein). I'm not particularly hungry. Oh, and I do not drink anything with calories. Nor am I sneaking any sweets (just not interested in them at all) or chips. I feel like I have to eat 300 calories a day to lose any weight. :)

Sorry for venting. I am just so sad. I plan to join a gym this coming week, which will help some I hope.

I haven't been banded yet but I saw your post and wanted to say that I think 19 pounds in 6 weeks in a very good acomplishment. You have put your body throu alot of changes and it will take time for it to adjust. i think you don't need to be so hard on your self and i know thats easy for me to say because I don't have my band yet. But if it were me who had lost 19 pounds in 6weeks I'd be jumping for joy. You will do great just really look at what your eating and do what your dr. says .

19 lbs in six weeks is a terrific start, Shrinking! You'll find as time goes on that there are lots of periods where, if you look at the short term, you could let yourself get frustrated. Learn NOW that you're doing yourself no favors by doing so. Maybe four pounds in five weeks sounds "slow," but 19 pounds in six weeks is FASTER than "average." That's more than three pounds a week!! Of course you're not going to be able to maintain that pace, and you don't want to.

This is not a race and you are not trying to beat anyone else's mark. You are doing wonderfully well and if you're eating less than you were preband then you're going to continue to lose weight.

I ate a whole slice of pizza last night, in fact. It took a while to chew and let each bite settle well, but I did finish it. So sure, a slice of pizza is "normal" if it's normal for you. There have been times when I couldn't think about eating a whole slice, like after my second fill when I first got really good restriction. Even now I don't like eating pizza because it generally isn't enough bang for the buck for me; less bready foods let me eat more and get more satisfaction from them as well as better nutrition. But once in a while it's fine and if I can eat the whole thing that's fine too.

Don't obsess about what other people may or may not be doing. You've just begun exploring what it's like to live a banded life and your weight will continue to drop as you learn what works for you. Relax!! :):D

I don't think your loss is slow, either. I lost 15 pounds the first 2 weeks, then about 10 the next month. But I had trouble because I was very restricted with no fill. My doctor was also very strict and required a low carb diet. It was easy then -- not so easy now! So the low carb really accelerated my loss.

You will continue to lose, even if it is slow. Be patient. I know it is not easy to do. I have been a little discouraged that my loss slowed to 5 pounds last month and zero this month. But there is always hope to continue! The band is there to work with as long as you need it.

Hang in there! :)

Shrinking, I am not a fast loser either. But I have noticed that when the scale isnt moving, usually I start seeing it more in my clothes. Almost like a balancing act. I lose a little weight, happy with the scale, but no change in my clothes. 3 weeks later, no weight loss, but my jeans are roomier.

Everone's journey is different. Dont get discouraged. Im going to tell you what our wise bandster sister Leatha told me once, "Paula, if you follow all the bandster rules, and eat what you are supposed to and how you are supposed to and still NOT lose any weight, you will be the first!"

She is right!

I know i havent been banded yet... but 19lbs is great... I think slow losing can be good to you dont want to punish your body that much. Dont lose faith.. I think your doing good!!

Shrinking violet, don't they say that the first few weeks are for healing? Have you had a fill yet? I think that your weight loss is great. They tell us that the average is a couple pounds a week; sure, there are people who can lose faster, but you're just getting started. I know it's frustrating (or rather, I can imagine -- I'm not banded yet) but from where I stand, it sounds great!

Are you exercising much? And drinking Water? The body needs Water to flush fat and to let go of excess water weight (as weird as that sounds). So if you're not drinking enough, you might want to think about that.

Best of luck to you, and I'm sorry you're feeling down. I hope you can feel good about your accomplishments; I think you're doing a wonderful job.

I'll be 4 weeks post-op tomorrow and I didn't think I'd ever get to -20. While I was still on liquids I stayed the same for days, I couldn't believe it, but I actually wasn't eating enough. In two days I had 2 cups of Soup each day, and gained 1.5 lbs. I almost cried I was so upset. So, I started eating higher Protein mush then lost the 1.5 and then some.

The body really does store food, it may be worth a try to eat more Protein and see what happens. I do very little carbs, maybe a spoon full of mashed potatoes, but no bread. I'm introducing solids now, still don't want to start breads or taters, I'm afraid if I start that will be my down fall, so I'm not going there, I hope.

Wow 19 lbs, have you picked up a couple bags of 10lb potatoes and see what your missing carrying around everyday. You've done quite well, it's not like you had a bypass, don't beat yourself up, enjoy your journey.

I'm glad you posted about what you are feeling and I hope we've been able to provide some perspective. Like Alexandra said, any time you feel frustrated, just divide the pounds lost by the weeks since banding to get your average weekly loss. If it's a pound a week, you're right on schedule. You're doing great. And please don't restrict your calories too much. That will only slow your weight loss down and ruin your metablolism. To quote the Wicked Witch of the West, "All in good time, my pretty, all in good time."

Nancy

You really are doing a wonderful job! Any loss before your fill is considered a bonus. Some people gain during this time. That's great you're feeling restriction. Please be careful w/the pizza. It can be difficult for a bandster (dry, doughy crust) to swallow. Are you on "hard protiens" yet? (Lean, moist meats and vegetables? Pizza's o.k. sometimes, but it's not the best calorie/nutrition choice. Also, check boxed or frozen dinners. They often have a high sodium (salt) content. Too much salt will cause a person to retain (hold) fluids and is hard on the heart and kidneys. Keep up the good work!

Thanks everyone. I just get frustrated seeing the scale stuck in the same numbers. One day I was at 256; the next day, 258.9; the next day 258, then 257.8, then 257.4, then 258 again...so it feels like I'm not making much progress lately.

I'm going to really try to get my Protein and Water in. I don't think I've been doing enough of that.

And I don't eat pizza everyday. It was our New Year's dinner. :) Mostly I eat chicken and spinach, sometimes with a small amount of Pasta or rice but not always. Oh, and for some reason I have a continual craving for taco meat. I've bought extra lean ground beef and made tacos once or twice (the soft kind) and I use lowfat cheese. And I'm craving Beans, which is weird because I have always disliked Beans.< /p>

I think it's just hard to have reality not match your expectations. I thought I'd follow the same pattern most everyone else seems to be following on here...almost everyone has lost at least 20 pounds in the first four weeks, and I'm six weeks out and still haven't lost 20 pounds. I should have expected this, though. The reason I was banded in the first place was that even on a regular 1200 to 1400 calorie per day diet, I couldn't lose weight. I am insulin resistant, too (borderline diabetic) and in Inamed's book, the test results show less success with the band among those who are diabetic. So maybe I will just have to fight that much harder.

I'm going to sign up at a gym today instead of sitting on my big butt moaning about it. At least if I stay the same weight but manage to shift some fat to muscle, I'll look a little better and feel a little better.

Thanks everyone for being so nice and not telling me I'm being a baby. :0

Today is Monday and a New Year..I think all of us have been struggling, you are not alone. I also think many of us are starting today with a frsh clean slate...

Today I have set goals,one day at a time ... one of them is Water , a gallon a day. Im going to fill up my gallon jug and my goal is to drink it all today! Second goal, 20 minutes of cardio today. Third goal, better food choices.

Dont be down, just set a few easy goals and stick to them one day at a time. You can do this!

Good idea! I don't think I could drink a whole gallon of Water (wouldn't that be 16 glasses???) but I'll work to get my eight in and I'm going to write down everything I eat and make sure I'm not lying to myself about what I'm consuming.

Your advice is good! Time to make some New Year's resolutions. :)

Funny you mentioned Beans, I have eaten lots of bean products. When I go to Taco Bell, I get the pintos n cheese and a soft taco supreme, w/tomatoes, then I dump the pintos/cheese & contents of taco into a bowl, stir it up and makes quite a meal. For New Years, blackeyed peas. I think/hope these are healthy fiberous-protein choices.

Shrinking, why don't you join our Weekly scale Challenge? It will help save your sanity just weighing one day a week. Our weight fluctuates. It's hard at first to break out of that habit of constant weighing. But once you get used to it, it really helps. Just pick a day and then hide that scale for the rest of the week.