Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone had outpatient surgery? I'm scheduled for 6/1 at 7:30 am and need to check out of the surgery center by 5 pm. Has anyone else done this? Wondering how it was for you! I'm nervous! I'm self-pay, and I could pay more to stay overnight but the doctor indicated I don't need to. Thank you!

I was outpatient as well! 3/13/2017 no issues. Everything was fine.

Sounds similar to my experience. Checked in around 7:30 AM, the procedure was at 9:30AM, I woke up around 11:30AM, fell asleep and woke up a few times, did lots of walking, got my fluids in, and checked out around 6 PM

For a more complete description of my experience, you can check out my profile :)

I am outpatient also, but not until June 1 also. I am a tad nervous, but had a buddy that is 3 weeks out and although he stayed overnight he said that he would have been fine at home.

I was just sleeved on May 15th in Mexico. I stayed 2 nights in the hospital and 2 additional nights at a nearby hotel. I did really well and although I think I could have gone home after one night I think having an extra day of IV fluids was helpful. I was walking 2 miles on day 5 post op and I have had no problems getting my fluids in.

Honestly, this is major surgery and I just don't think I would have been comfortable going home the same day.

4 hours ago, RHmama said:

Has anyone had outpatient surgery? I'm scheduled for 6/1 at 7:30 am and need to check out of the surgery center by 5 pm. Has anyone else done this? Wondering how it was for you! I'm nervous! I'm self-pay, and I could pay more to stay overnight but the doctor indicated I don't need to. Thank you!

Make sure to be on them to ensure your painkillers are given at regular intervals, and that the barium/leak tests are done adequately and timely. Get on your feet and walk as soon as you can, and push them when they get the thumbs up to test out a clear or full fluids diet to make sure you're set to go home.

I was outpatient in August 2016. It was awesome, highly recommend. I was free to be in my own living room with my own DVR, walk around my own neighborhood, and boss my husband around.

I was outpatient in August 2016. It was awesome, highly recommend. I was free to be in my own living room with my own DVR, walk around my own neighborhood, and boss my husband around.

Loving it!! I'm doing same-day in September and did have second thoughts about this.

Glad this is a topic.

Good luck! Let us know how you do, I'm also opting for same-day but have been worried about it lately but then talked to people who had it done and feel like I'll be totally fine!

I think everyone is different. I have read on here where some people have been in extreme pain and felt horrible, but I only felt rough the first night and have been fine since. I think it is impossible to know ahead of time how your body will react. Maybe plan for outpatient with the option of changing your mind if you need to.

I was outpatient! Sleeved Monday, 5/22. At first, I was concerned, but I was anxious to get out of there. I am not sure why honestly. Maybe I was just bored? Ultimately, they will not let you go unless you're absolutely ready to do so. They said that if there were any concerns, they would keep me until it was time.

I peed almost immediately after surgery, had no problems taking in fluids, and was walking around fairly easily right away. In fact, I had a good amount of energy. A few days later, the pain is lingering (though tolerable) and I'm sleeping more and not AS motivated to be active. I'm taking long walks as best I can.

If you're concerned, hold in your pee! They said I couldn't leave until I peed! ;-)

I am glad I found this! I am scheduled for outpatient 7/20/17. Am a little nervous. Reading about leaking and bleeding. :51_scream: How do they monitor this when you go home?

I am glad I found this! I am scheduled for outpatient 7/20/17. Am a little nervous. Reading about leaking and bleeding. :51_scream: How do they monitor this when you go home?

Just now, Boonie mama said:

You tell me after you're done :)

Haha! Okay, I sure will.