Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Going vegetarian? Or low meat?

For years I only ate chicken, with the ocassionaly beef. Now, I got the audio book version "skinny bitch" on itunes and it has changed my view on meat. I am determined to stay off of it forever!

I've not had my 1st fill yet (going tomorrow--yippee) but I've not had beef or pork since being banded and just in the last 2 weeks settled on baked fish. It's easy to un-thaw and quick to bake. It's not that I hate beef/pork but I just made a conscious decision to eat mainly fish, turkey and chicken but primarily vegetables. You should try black beans.............they are my favorite and full of Protein and other good stuff. I eat it at least 4 times a week. The funny thing is before being banded, I loved Pinto , Blackeye and Crowder peas but after pureeing them one day I gagged and just don't want them anymore. I also eat a lot of green Beans, turnip and collard greens............yummy!!!
I do beans, but not fish. I don't eat anything that used to live in Water. As a biology major, I know way too much about what they do and what they are. Shellfish? Essentially giant insects. Roaches of the sea, as I call them.

From childhood stems my favorite comfort food..turkey legs and lima beans!! I used to eat it with heavily buttered fresh rye bread...but the bread phase is over:)!! here is the recipe: line a 9x13 pan with a layer of onions,add 1 cup of soaked lima Beans, place 2 or 3 turkey legs and season with seasoned salt and garlic ,or add any seasoning you like--I sometimes add rosemary also. put in enough Water to cover the beans and botton of legs and cover with foil and bake until meat fall off the bones--check Fluid level and add more water during baking. pull all the meat off the turkey legs being careful of the splinters. Add back to bean pan. If you serve the legs without tking the meat off the bones for the first serving you can debone leftovers for another meal. If and when I have leftovers, I sometimes add cooked carrots,celery barley and more water and make a thick Soup out of it. Very yummy on a cold evening...and can be made into something else easily if you are not really a "leftover" person. I find microwaved food hard to get down...so I make soup. This is a favorite in my house so there seldom makings for the soup!! Enjoy!!

That sounds good, I love turkey legs but never found any good recipes for them and when I've tried baking them they are really tough and stringy.

I'm going to have to try that soon!!

I like the texture of thawed tofu better. Just don't freeze the Silken type, I'd make it worse. I buy soy and/or grain meat-replacements, there's a great variety. See

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/s/105-2558410-9390855?ie=UTF8&search-alias=grocery&field-brandtextbin=Worthington]Amazon.com: Worthington - Groceries: Grocery[/ame]

Dixie Diners' Club

Vegan Store.com - Pangea Vegan Products. The Best in Vegan Shopping.

Wheetsin's kick-ass tofu marinade:

Orange juice

Brown sugar

Honey

Soy sauce

Sesame oil

Thai peanut sauce

Garlic

Or a variation:

Rice vinegar

Soy sauce

Sesame oil

Honey

Brown sugar

Lime juice

With both marinades you can keep the extra and reduce it in the skillet to make a nice thick sauce. I've used the marinades on tofu, chicken and fish, and all have been good. (See past post on silken vs firm tofu)

No I didn't but will definitely give it a try. Thanks!! You're my idol!

I buy smoky-flavored tofu at Wild Oats. During the pureed-food stage I blended Bush vegetarian baked Beans with barbeque sauce and I loved it. Later I tried it with the whole Beans, but it didn't seem as tasty.

If I liked to cook I would make dal, an Indian lentil dish. I do make a big pot of vegetarian chili (lots of beans) every so often and love coming home to a hearty meal that I can heat up in the microwave. I am usually really hungry when I come home and want to attack the easiest thing available. I love leftovers!